HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:55 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,439 Posts
Cool
Story of a lucky lady.

This article is of a resolute and lucky lady.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/70-years-a...1.html#Wko47ZE

Lucky because she seemed to have been in just the right place at the right time to be rescued, and resolute that she overcame the horrors to continue with a successful life.

I'm aware of how many positive and amazing things that we humans can do, and also the down side - how inhuman and cruel we also can be to others.

One can only hope that by concentrating on the positive aspects that slowly we'll all start minimising the dark side..
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,997 Posts
Thank you, Norman.

When I was assigned to Germany (1989-92), we got to do some touristing. During our time in Europe, we got to 'visit' Dachau and Auschwitz. How innocent that sentence is, yet how much those "visits" hit both of us.

The idea that someone could turn in their neighbor for being different, for worshipping God in a different manner, for any one of a dozen different reasons; that's unsettling. We say it can't happen 'here', yet we all know (but don't want to admit) that it can.

Ten, twenty years from now, it may be the Catholic, the Caucasian, the dog owner (or whatever) that becomes "the Jew" who "has" to be contained. We don't want to admit it's possible, but we know it can happen. That's what scares me.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Wow, amazing story. How could people be so cruel?
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post
Thank you, Norman.

When I was assigned to Germany (1989-92), we got to do some touristing. During our time in Europe, we got to 'visit' Dachau and Auschwitz. How innocent that sentence is, yet how much those "visits" hit both of us.

The idea that someone could turn in their neighbor for being different, for worshipping God in a different manner, for any one of a dozen different reasons; that's unsettling. We say it can't happen 'here', yet we all know (but don't want to admit) that it can.

Ten, twenty years from now, it may be the Catholic, the Caucasian, the dog owner (or whatever) that becomes "the Jew" who "has" to be contained. We don't want to admit it's possible, but we know it can happen. That's what scares me.

CD
Indeed, CD!

Only by being disgusted with that sort of thing happening to any human, can we have a hope of it not happening.

As many of us have said here on LTUP - we all have more similarities than differences (and the differences are actually simply petty!)

Thank you for your post.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Wow, amazing story. How could people be so cruel?
Unfortunately, BE, every one of us can be - if we chose to allow it..
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,997 Posts
Quote:
How could people be so cruel?
Think of your time in grade school, when you joined in putting down some kid. Maybe he wore braces; maybe he spoke with a lisp; maybe you didn't even know why he/she was ostracized, but you joined in because your buddies were doing it.

I know I did.

That's the start of it. Once we get onto the bandwagon, it's easier to stay on it than to pull back and say "Wait a minute...".

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Today, 05:35 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,439 Posts
Or "it's easier to be a Sheep than a Ram", perhaps?
Old Today, 09:42 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Unfortunately, BE, every one of us can be - if we chose to allow it..
Can you imagine under any circumstances you could justify what the Germans did to those people? I can't.
Old Today, 09:48 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,435 Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050d2t9

Good tele,it's on iplayer.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Today, 10:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Lucky because she seemed to have been in just the right place at the right time to be rescued
Yes. Being rescued from Asda is not the same somehow.
Mark Powell is online now Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Old Today, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Can you imagine under any circumstances you could justify what the Germans did to those people? I can't.
If you read the book I just read. 'TOTAL WAR - from Stalingrad to Berlin' by Michael Jones the Germans were far WORSE than has been reported, even up till now, and FAR worse than has ever been shown on TV.

And of course the people who did it weren't active members of the Nazi Party, just GERMAN soldiers, policemen, and guards. Same as the UK Conservative Party did not fight in the Falklands, soldiers did.

And oddly, after WW2 no people who ever voted for the Nazi party could be found, yet they got in by popular vote, quite legitimately.
Last edited by Mark Powell; Today at 10:36 AM.
Old Today, 10:53 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Err... had I? Have I? Sorry, BE, but I have no idea where you get such an idea!

Maybe what confuses you is that I couldn't justify anybody - Germans/French/Americans/Brits/Muslims/Israelis/Martians etc - doing it! (Perhaps you are trying to simply fall into the "Johnny hit someone! Johnny is an American! All Americans are violent!" thinking process? ).

I simply care not that it was 'Germans'!
Old Today, 11:18 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2,319 Posts
Quote:

Maybe what confuses you is that I couldn't justify anybody - Germans/French/Americans/Brits/Muslims/Israelis/Martians etc - doing it! (Perhaps you are trying to simply fall into the "Johnny hit someone! Johnny is an American! All Americans are violent!" thinking process? ).

Martians would be ok. They cannot be expected to think (is that what we do? I'm not sure) like us or consider us much the same as them.
How kind are we to battery chickens or the rabies virus?
Old Today, 11:35 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:

it was a rhetorical question Norm. Of course you can't justify what the Germans did. By the way, is it politically incorrect these days to talk about it?
Old Today, 11:38 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,439 Posts
Quote:
it was a rhetorical question Norm. Of course you can't justify what the Germans did. By the way, is it politically incorrect these days to talk about it?
OK, BE - it did leave a little confused..

As for worrying about being 'politically correct' - err... I'm not yer man for such things..