HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
Question
New with helos

Hi i am new to helos i have some years with airplanes but i just started with heli
I bought a blade 120 and now i can hover do a square but still some trouble when i hover and i have the model in front of me...
I was wondering for the next step...what about align 450 pro v2 super combo
I found it for 450$
Is it difficult to build and set up?
Can i fly it after i tamed the blade 120 and with some sim?
Thanks
Fab3105 is offline Find More Posts by Fab3105
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You could, but I think youhave a long way to go and additional steps may be more desirable.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:10 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,562 Posts
Well, you do have experience with RC so you should be familiar with operating in third person, but you're a bit further from flying a 450 than you may think.

Before investing a thousand dollars on a 450 (spare parts and tools included), the recommended path these days is to go with a microCP before moving up to a larger heli. Each time you crash your microCP is twenty bucks on a 450, and you're going to crash it a *lot*.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:14 AM
United States, LA, DeRidder
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
I know this is a leap but Im just going to put this out there for an alternative angle then the automatic promotion to 450 sized. If you have the basic ingredients for success like others you fly with and a good sim I would recommend a 450 clone plastic. I think you can find them still for like 40 bucks. Dont get me wrong I love my Trex 500 and 600. And Align makes great products. But my Tarrot 450 is THE SAME THING as my buddies Trex 450. You will not fly the Align 450 any better then a HK 450 or EXI 450. And If your new you will not notice the difference in the riged low weight of a CF frame or wood blades over CF blades. Chines Trex clone parts are dirt cheap on ebay. And a 100 bucks in clone parts from ebay might be able to get you through your next 3- 5 crashes. As you learn you will know what and where the quality matters on your bird. you will upgrade to metal gear servos, Put CF blades and flybar paddles on, Align only shafts, Etc But if you want to stay high end I highly recommend the Tarrot super combo.
dragon6g is offline Find More Posts by dragon6g
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
This is gonna hurt.........
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Another option here that I use to train pilots at my field is to install a FMA Copilot 2 system on their birds. It just works and have had nothing but top shelf results with it.

As to fbl systems, there are several that offer self level options out there, SK720, and Ikon are just 2 of them that work.
nwcudaman is offline Find More Posts by nwcudaman
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:55 AM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
I just started myself. Now training on a V911. My next step ( which is on the way ) is a V912. I guess thats about a 250 class. And a real good price. I want to make sure I can fly these things before I jump to a 450 class. Its just to much money for me to put in the dirt the first time out.
Switchy is offline Find More Posts by Switchy
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,562 Posts
250 class are 6ch CP helicopters that are a smaller versions of the 450. You really can't compare it to a v912 which is just a larger 4ch. The step after the v911 are the 220mm MicroCPs like the SuperCP, MCPX and v922.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A small quad is reasonable training for a CP heli. A larger 4 channel heli makes the transition to CP more difficult.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
I have seen many posts about Quads. And have been looking. I still dont understand how the CP helis are so much different or how they operate compared to a FP. But I will get it in time.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:39 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
CP helis reply on (relatively) constant throttle speed and changes to blade pitch to control altitude. FP helis rely on throttle changes to control altitude. A more constant head speed is easier to control because it's more stable. Since CP helis also have negative pitch, they can drive downward against wind. If wind gets under the blades of an FP heli, they have no defense and are like a kite. Rotating blades effectively create a disk that wind will not penetrate, hence the kite effect. There are other factors in wind handling capability, but they all favor CP helis and quads.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchy View Post
I have seen many posts about Quads. And have been looking. I still dont understand how the CP helis are so much different or how they operate compared to a FP. But I will get it in time.
pretty easy really. FP the make rotor blade is in a fix pitch and using rpm to change altitude, its fewer parts, perhaps a little harder to flying especially in the ground effect area. Easier to set up, but has less flexibility. You cannot 3D a FP.

Collective pitch the main rotor blades are mechanically controlled by the servos, and the pitch increases or decrease per how it is set up in the radio. Its a more complex head assembly, and uses 1 more channel for pitch control. Much harder to set up but give you full control of the pitch across the entire throttle curve, in which you are introducing pitch via settings to the rpms. Its customizable, very flexable and will do whatever you tell it to do.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, MI, Grosse Ile Township
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Ive been flying rc planes for a long time now and i wanted to get into helis so about 6 months ago i bought a syma s107. I flew it for like a month and got bored of it. A week ago i got a mcpx bl and it is WAY harder to fly than the syma... I thought it would be easy since ive been flying planes and i had the syma but it is really hard to fly. I have about 5 flights on it right now and im finally getting the hang of it. I dont think its a great idea to jump right to the trex 450... I agree with hajile with getting a micro cp first to get the hang of how they fly.
mattrc is offline Find More Posts by mattrc
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:23 PM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
Thats where Im at right now. Just figuring out how to fly and figuring out how they work.
Theres a lot of learning and the more I read the more confusing it is at this point.
So. If I ask or say stupid things. Have mercy on me
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:45 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
that was what I started on. an original 4#3. Wasnt easy to fly and took weeks just to get it off the ground in some kind of controlled manor. However, its light so it didn't completely self distruct every crash or mishap and parts were cheap. Also learning on what was said to be one of the hardest heli to fly everything else I fly came very easy.

4#3
4#3B
4G3
100 Gaui Pixy Zap
100 Gaui Pro
100 Gaui FBL
100 Gaui 3 blade
200 Firefox plastic
200 Firefox fiberglass
200 Gaui SD
200 Gaui EX SD
200 Gaui
200 Gaui FBL
200 Gaui 5 blade
250 Trex V1
250 Bullet TT
250 EXI
250 HK GT
250 Copter X FBL
250 Trex DFC PRO
450 EXI
450 EXI carbon ed
450 EXI 5 blade
450 HK plastic version
550 .50 Century Nitro Hawk III

Yeah my wife thinks I have too many.

and you really dont start getting it until you have one in your hands and start messing around with it and flying.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
How many years MakMov ?