Old Apr 18, 2016, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Dream it...Build it...Fly it!
United States, MO, Macon County
Joined Dec 2014
1,625 Posts
Discussion
folding MPF, can it be done?

One of the reasons that come back to Reddi board is that I can fold it into a airfoil shape pretty easy. I like the qualities of MPF for flat stock and have sanded it to shape but my luck in folding it as for a leading edge have not been great.

I have tried ironing on tape but no joy.

Not dissing MPF I like it a lot, just trying to use it to it's full potential.

Has anyone had good luck with sharp bends on MPF.
basicguy is offline Find More Posts by basicguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2016, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by SNice
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,090 Posts
I've done several successful MPF wings with fold over leading edges. It did take some time to get my process down but since then I have had no issues.

Here is how I do it:
It's all in how you treat the inner fold surface.
- For a sharp leading edge, I mark my leading edge line with a pen or pencil.
- Then I sand a v-groove (using the corner of a sanding block) along the leading edge fold line. The deeper you sand the groove, the sharper your leading edge will be. I generally do not go deeper than 50% thickness.
- Next, place tape along the outside surface of the leading edge fold line. The tape will help prevent the foam splitting along the seam. If you plan on removing the tape once the wing is formed, use painters tape.
- Fold the wing in half along the leading edge. Fold it completely in half. Do not force it back open or you will split your leading edge. I usually open the folded wing just enough to put a bead of hot glue along the inside v channel. This helps to protect your leading edge. I think the heat also helps prevent splitting.
- Your wing skin should now be ready for installation of ribs, spars, etc.

Hope this helps! I have pics of the process in build logs of mine. I will attempt to locate them. Note - my process is the same for DTF. MPF behaves a bit differently due to its thickness.

Happy Building and Flying!!!
SNice
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Dream it...Build it...Fly it!
United States, MO, Macon County
Joined Dec 2014
1,625 Posts
Thanks, had not thought about using a groove on the inside.

For DT foam I usually just remove paper from inside and using a 3/8" dowel on the inside then work it over. Once the wing is done I mist lightly the paper and peel it off, then tape it.
basicguy is offline Find More Posts by basicguy