New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by TheEnm
Joined Feb 2016
3 Posts
Discussion
Wierd AR610 Problem

So I had this receiver for a while and now it will not seem to work correctly. It will not power up if I plug it in normally and if I put the throttle and ESC lead in upside down, one solid LED will stay on inside. Leading me to believe it is not dead. When I plug it in normally, nothing. Any ideas?
TheEnm is offline Find More Posts by TheEnm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:55 AM
Find More Posts by aerocal
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
3,832 Posts
Did you try a known good power source like a pack? It kind of sounds like a power problem from the BEC in the ESC.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:59 AM
Joined Feb 2016
3 Posts
I'm sorry, first time builder here but what is a pack? and how do I use it. I have like 6 different ESC's if that might be the problem.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:08 AM
Joined Feb 2016
3 Posts
Also, I just plugged it into another ESC and it worked fine for a sec. I unplugged it and put it in my main ESC and nothing. Now it will do nothing in either ESC.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by aerocal
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
3,832 Posts
By pack I mean an actual battery pack. It also helps if you have a way to check the voltage at the Rx while it is connected and operating.
Depending on what you are using for a Tx Telemetry is a real good way to check and monitor Rx voltage.
You say that when you plugged a different ESC/BEC in it came alive momentarily then stopped again. This almost sounds like you have a short
somewhere like possibly a bad servo.
The BEC(battery eliminator circuit) in an ESC are notorious for being marginally adequate in many cases. If they are overloaded they will shut off it a short amount of time. If the overload is big it may shut off in a second or 2.
A battery pack many times will overcome minor overloads and Rx will stay alive enough to see that a servo is frozen and/or getting warm.
If you even have a multimeter that will read voltage you can connect it to a Rx port and check voltage. I would unplug all servos and see if Rx stays alive. Then plug servos in one by one and watch voltage.

It is always a possibility that there is a problem with the Rx itself but you kind of need to eliminate the possibility of a voltage problem first by checking it with a measuring device. If your tx is capable a telemetry module is a required investment IMO. Its alot more sensitive than a simple multimeter.
Where did the AR610 come from? Are you sure its not a cheap ebay counterfeit that may be substandard to begin with? As a new builder you need to be aware that there are many fake Spektrum Rxs floating around.
Be careful where you get them from. Always buy from a known good source. If they are selling for dirt cheap its a good indication they arent genuine and are substandard. If you check the voltage and it looks ok but you are still having problems you can send Rx to Horizon Service and they
can confirm its origin and fix or replace for little or no cost except the shipping to get it there if it an OEM Rx.

Even if not overloaded alot BECs are notorious for getting weak and failing at the least opportune times. Especially if they are part of the ESC and get warm or hot from lack of adequate airflow over them. In many applications a seperate BEC that is not part of the ESC is a much better option. Many of us will avoid a BEC whenever possible and use a small Rx pack. Sometimes its not practical on really small airframes.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
4,123 Posts
The (orange) light on the RX will only go on if it is bound to the radio and correct model memory selected. Then you have a link which is shown by the orange LED. Otherwise no light is lit. If you connect it wrong around then you will probably get a solid light without the TX on.

The RX has NO power indicator ! Only an orange LED for link and a red one which shows you if you had "holds" by blinking.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem