New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2015, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
Same to you, Mike, and all of our flying buddies.
kodak_jack is online now Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2015, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Dimateo
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
345 Posts
Are there still folks out here flying the ol' Esky V4 ? I have an old Esky V3. I'm pretty sure it still flies but it's been years since I've tried to run it. I do still fly an old Esky fixed pitch Honeybee now & then. I am hoping to get a brand new flybarless CP heli soon.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
Old Dec 30, 2015, 08:50 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimateo View Post
Are there still folks out here flying the ol' Esky V4 ? I have an old Esky V3. I'm pretty sure it still flies but it's been years since I've tried to run it. I do still fly an old Esky fixed pitch Honeybee now & then. I am hoping to get a brand new flybarless CP heli soon.
Unless you've done the "credit card mod" where you can stick an aftermarket battery on it with Velcro, you may have a hard time coming up with an original battery that fits the battery tray.
Do you have an original Honey Bee or one of the super duper jobs that is 11.1V?
Old Jan 09, 2016, 06:42 PM
Joined May 2010
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Unless you've done the "credit card mod" where you can stick an aftermarket battery on it with Velcro, you may have a hard time coming up with an original battery that fits the battery tray.
Do you have an original Honey Bee or one of the super duper jobs that is 11.1V?
I have the version 2 of the Honeybee that uses the 11.1 V LiPO. I also have a complete set of extra parts in hand (including the frame) so I can easily fix anything the might go wrong with it. I haven't used the stock size battery on the HB for a long time. I've been using Gens Ace 11.1 LiPO's. They are the same width and hight as the original but shorter in length. They fit the battery tray nicely.
On the old Lama V3 I broke the old battery holder years ago and have been using a modification with velcro straps to hold the battery on. Unfortunately one of the skids on the Lama is broken so I might have to check ebay to see if I can find a new set of skids. Eventually I'd like to get the Lama V3 up in the air again. Also woould like to get my old GMP Cricket (1980's) running again. For the meanntime my focus however is getting a new flybarless CP heli. I am considering getting a Blade 230 S but I am also thinking of a 450 size CP machine.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 08:03 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
I have a Blade 120 SR that I bought from Chap on here. Conventional brushed heli's and quads can be a PITA, so, the 200 SRX is interesting because it's brushless on the main and tail both. I guess I just don't get CP heli's - at all. I had a King 2 for a while and the head speed was scary fast. On top of that, the positive pitch above 1/2 throttle was OK, but not the negative pitch below 1/2 throttle. It would come down with a vengeance and kill the tail fin. If it bent one way, the tail blades would go into the ground. If it bent the opposite way, the tail fin would go into the blades! It was as if the negative pitch was driving it into the ground. My son had a Blade 400 and could not fly it either.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by cstratton
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
I guess I just don't get CP heli's - at all. I had a King 2 for a while and the head speed was scary fast. On top of that, the positive pitch above 1/2 throttle was OK, but not the negative pitch below 1/2 throttle. It would come down with a vengeance and kill the tail fin. If it bent one way, the tail blades would go into the ground. If it bent the opposite way, the tail fin would go into the blades! It was as if the negative pitch was driving it into the ground. My son had a Blade 400 and could not fly it either.
Yes, you're not supposed to go into the negative pitch range unless you intend negative lift (for example you are flying inverted, or if you want it to fall faster than a rock). You have to develop an emergency reflex to use whatever transmitter function cuts the motor, rather than chopping the throttle/pitch stick as you might on a fixed pitch heli.
cstratton is online now Find More Posts by cstratton
Old Jan 10, 2016, 02:46 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstratton View Post
Yes, you're not supposed to go into the negative pitch range unless you intend negative lift (for example you are flying inverted, or if you want it to fall faster than a rock). You have to develop an emergency reflex to use whatever transmitter function cuts the motor, rather than chopping the throttle/pitch stick as you might on a fixed pitch heli.
And when you want to land? It slams it into the ground!!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
And when you want to land? It slams it into the ground!!
You slowly reduce the collective until the pitch is still positive, but not generating enough lift to maintain altitude so it descends at a desired speed. In theory you could flare a little, and once you are down you can also then use slightly negative pitch to stick it to the ground. If you are done, you then use whatever function shuts off the motor - at no point in that process would the substantial negative pitch of having the stick all the way down be used.

To put things in a bit of perspective, I learned to fly years ago with a .40 size Sig Kadet Senior. Just flying it didn't take too long, I spent most of my instructor-supervised time learning to set up landing approaches (particularly for the "tight" end of the runway) that were low enough it would actually touch down rather than float the entire length - really, the challenge was learning to land. A year later on a whim I got an electric sailplane and discovered there was no skill involved in landing that at all - I could just shut off the motor and fly the thing in circles around myself until it gently met the ground - skipping a whole skill area.

Today's coaxes, and to a lesser degree FP helis teach the valuable lesson that one can defy gravity with an RC vehicle. But they only demand very introductory level skill, because they are designed to be accessible and teach skills like yaw control (though in the quad world they now have "headless" mode that eliminates even that skill requirement). But actually flying a real aircraft still requires training reflexes and planning things like gentle landings. And that does take time - let's say I'm glad that my CP flying learning experiences have been made with the low-mass nano CPx and not something that packs more self-destructive energy in its crashes - much as an mCX will survive learning mistakes with far fewer broken parts than machines like the blade CX that are several times heavier.

General recommendation would be that if the working against the challenge is not appealing, don't fly a CP. And if you do want to get into it, pick one that is not only without bad habits, but as light as possible - since the advent of MEMS gyros and lipo batteries, there's no real need for a helicopter to be very big in order to function - about the only thing missing from the nCPx is an autoration clutch.
Last edited by cstratton; Jan 10, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 08:55 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
To be honest about it, I was scared out of my mind from the high head speed. Trying to use reduced throttle to land in a tight space (my garage ) and having it slam down was enough to make me sell it. I also had a fiberglas blade break and fly off at mach 10 like a missile. I tried it and was over it in no time flat!!!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:59 AM
Joined May 2010
345 Posts
If you are flying in wind a CP heli and negative pitch can help a great deal. One time I was flying my fixed pitched Honeybee at my brothers place which sits amidst a lot of mountains and hills. As ground level the air was still and completely calm. So I decided to give the bee some throttle and some altitude. As soon as it hit about 50+ feet it was in a wind and the added lift caused it to start climbing like a rocketship. I chopped the head speed down about halfway and the damned thing wouldn't stop climbing. The only way I could get her down was to almost chop the throttle completely but now it's descending but in almost a dead fall. When it got down pretty low ((where there was no wind) I tried to bring up the head speed and recover. I Did partially recover but it was coming too fast and in a difficult attitude and it slammed down hard into a metal picnic table. Fortunately no major damage except for a bent cyclic pitch control link. Had I had a CP heli and a little negative pitch things may have gone a lot easier. Since the bulk of my flying (except for my tiny Cheerson CX-10) is outdoors I figure I might as well learn to fly CP.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 07:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
No matter what it is, I fly in my 1/2 acre back yard. I do not go above ~ 20ft. I'm only a couple of miles from Lake Ontario and we have constant wind or a stiff breeze until just about an hour before sun down. Even in August, I can't fly until about 8PM. I think the best thing out there to fly, for all kinds of reasons, is a quad. Most have 3 flight modes and you can pile on the mods and options until your wallet bleeds.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
628 Posts
You could fly a nano or smaller micro of any configuration indoors...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 08:32 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
11,058 Posts
And I do. How do you think I get through 7 MONTHS of Winter?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,938 Posts
I have a nice E-Sky Lama 4 blue colored. I have replaced some blades and have extra sets of generic blade A/B blades. One skid was repaired on landing at one time. shame as bird flys very nice for 4ch Co-Ax. Its 2.4 .
Offer as possible trade for Hobby item. I have wide interest is RC/UC/ Engines / gliders etc. This has box and all that came with it. sure it needs new battery but thay are cheap and easy to get. same battery as V912/ v915. Its low time and hardly used. no issue other then repaired skid. ?Skid is fine but has been fixed. Great heli for noobie and looks fine flying. body and heli is fine shape. P/M if interested. Rather trade for something else.
I service all my helis. I use Tri-flow/ PTFE grease on main gears etc. This really prolongs useful life of motors/ bearings etc. I fly c/p for three years now.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04