Old Mar 30, 2007, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by 68Strat
Neutral Buoyancy Toys!
United States, MA, Andover
Joined Jun 2004
1,884 Posts
Discussion
Luft 46' Heinkel Lerche idea FOAM

Hi everyone! I was thinking of building a semi scale Heinkel lerche to test the concept! my model will be greatly simplified with only one motor and a possible oversized tail to compensate for the torque... the 9 SIDED wing is very interesting and I have never seen an rc model quite like it... shall I give it a try? Im not promising anything so maybe I can get some help and others building as well...

but I think it would be an interesting idea to try with foam none the less!

68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Last edited by 68Strat; Mar 31, 2007 at 09:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
Neutral Buoyancy Toys!
Joined Jun 2004
1,884 Posts
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
326 Posts
I was thinking of building one of these myself, but after further reveiw of how I would build it, I came across to many "how the heck am I gonna do thats" and gave up the idea. I think this airframe would be too tough for me to replicate and fly well. Good luck and happy building. I'll be glad to pass on anything I figured out if you want to know.
planecrazy1969 is offline Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Old Mar 31, 2007, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by socaljetflyer
admitted user
Joined Mar 2006
170 Posts
http://nastytoesaviation.com/PlanesScale.asp
socaljetflyer is offline Find More Posts by socaljetflyer
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:49 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
25,318 Posts
Go for it Dude!!!!....like a Sidewinder with lift...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by ho50ca
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
It's not undoable but the challenge would be that it would have to fly really fast to be any kind of stable. Control surfaces look big enough; it would be not much harder than making a small scale F-104 work, to my mind. The tricky bit is the strength of the connection between the front and rear parts of the fuse. Could be instantly cured by making it into a pusher or redesigning things a bit and making it use EDF buried in the fuse.

Try it out, what's a bit of Bluecor? I've tried lots of weird stuff, some worked some failed miserably. It's the hobby.

Good luck,

H.O.
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
Neutral Buoyancy Toys!
Joined Jun 2004
1,884 Posts
thanks for the input guys... going to give it a try. a bp-12 on a small 3s swinging an 8 inch prop in the center should do the trick.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Yukikaze
Joined Feb 2007
44 Posts
Something I made based on the Lerche, you could try the Wespe because it has normal wings.
http://yukikazeb03.deviantart.com/ar...rche-102671283
Yukikaze is offline Find More Posts by Yukikaze
Old Nov 06, 2008, 01:42 AM
Find More Posts by Air95
GA
Joined Nov 2007
76 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. There certainly plenty of 3 D planes that use only thrust and vectoring for control. The real trick is going to be in figuring out prop size and gearing ratios. You've got a cool idea; I hope you stick to it.
Air95 is offline Find More Posts by Air95
Old Nov 06, 2008, 03:55 AM
Find More Posts by Altocirrus
snɹɹıɔoʇl∀
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Dec 2005
409 Posts
I was rather keen on building one of these myself a while back (shortly after getting IL-2 1946 in fact ). That NastyToes link doesn't seem to be working, but I saw the video of the Wespe and remember it sort of flying.

I definitely think it's possible though, I'll be interested to see how you get on. If I were you, I'd be tempted to stick a fourth fin on the tail, otherwise you'd need some interesting mixing!
Altocirrus is offline Find More Posts by Altocirrus
Old Nov 06, 2008, 05:01 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
25,318 Posts
Be sure to check out StringFlys Sidewinder missile in the Kit Foamies section...A few modifications and you're there...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:05 AM
Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
225 Posts
I believe if I were to build this (and I may) I would use the top to tail stabs in an Elevon mix (Delta wing) and the bottom with just rudder. I would place my CG about 1/3 back from the leading edge of the hoop and would make the hoop circular instead of 9 sided. I would not have any control surfaces on the front wings that hold the hoop in place (keeping it simple) and I would use counter rotating motors both running from the throttle input with the ESC throttle range calibrated so they would spin up together and have the same max and min speed. Has anyone built this yet? That will determine if I will try or not.
My next (Plane) build is the SR-91 Aurora which so far I've found no one that has built it yet. Then next on the burner is a flying submarine.. Ha ha!. My last build had some CG problems due to being very tail heavy. I have 9 months to correct any issues with it (Santa Sleigh and Reindeer). But until then, this may be quite an interesting build. I suppose I could use a soda bottle top to construct most of the clear nose cone.
All the best and Happy flying all!
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by SGTalon
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,245 Posts
I built a similar plane called the Wespe and it had many issues. I tried flying it a few times but it was unstable. I never had the time to finish it though. Sitting on my wall still.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950807
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon