New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by glockie
Australia, SA, Port Lincoln
Joined Jan 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
If you want to use 3s batteries, then any of the esc will work. If you push into 4s batteries, get the largest esc. A little headroom is not a bad thing on electrical componentes.

It is counter intuitive, but remember that partial throttle is more load on the esc than full throttle. Keep that in mind d if you are going to over power a project and try to use partial throttle to make it balance out.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes 3s batteries is what I was thinking.
I have 2 Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C-35C batteries would they be OK until I can afford better ones.

My JR X-2720 doesn't have a timer in it so I was thinking of using a digital alarm for timing my launch to altitude then shut down throttle and glide around trying to catch thermals. Would that work so as not to run the motor too long.

I have read all the posts on this thread and have learnt a lot, some of the posts were a bit too technical for me to completely understand but I did learn that Volts x Amps = Watts, I hope that's right or I've learnt nothing.

Thanks everyone.

Larry
glockie is offline Find More Posts by glockie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
8,132 Posts
On 3s, your plane will be well out of comfortable site before you overheat the motor. Given the most rudimentary cooling, the motor is most likely fine for 3 minutes or more of continuous run. I don't want you to test it on the bench for 3 minutes straight! Flight loads are much different than static load on the bench.

30 seconds static run from a full battery, check motor temps with your manual digital thermometer (aka your finger) on the back surface of that motor to include the stub of motor shaft that protrudes. The design of the motor makes the outer surface very slow to heat up and very poor at cooling the guts of the motor.

Re-charge the battery and note the number of milliamp(hours) that you put back into the motor. Do the fancy math to determine consumption - compare against 75% of battery capacity for estimated allowable motor runs per battery. Always check your results against (free) internet advice
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
26 Posts
OK thanks for your help and no I wouldn't bench run for 3 minutes straight because I think I read some where on this thread that it wasn't advisable and that flight loads are different static loads.

I take it the batteries I have would be OK?

The Turnigy dlux 70A SBEC is the one I will get that way I can look at the data with the Turnigy dlux Programming Box w/Data Logging Feature.

Would getting the Turnigy 7in1 Mega Meter Battery Checker/Watt Meter/Servo Tester be a good investment.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
8,132 Posts
Yes your batteries will work for now. Don't run them completely flat. Don't charge them while they are warm. Don't leave them fully charged for more than a week or 2. They should last quite while.

Get a watt meter - the money saved on just one motor or esc or plane lost in flight - will more than pay for the equipment. My watt meter gets used more than any other single tool in my shop.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
26 Posts
Ok thanks for all of your help now I'm going to bed it's 4AM.
In the morning I will go shopping on HK for all the goodies.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
1,397 Posts
Need an opinion on this. Running a Turnigy glider drive 3858 4.6 840kv, a CC 60A ESC, 3S-3300/35_70c pack, and tried the stock eflite 14x8 prop. Got around 430 watt and 39A for a full charge 30 WOT test. Swapped props to an Aeronaut CAM 14x8 and recorded 53A @ 685 watts. Is the 53 amps pushing the motor a little too far? Specs say 45 max. Im sure it will rarely be held wide open for anything close to 30 seconds unless I want to orbit velocity on my Mystique glider hehehe. Or should I play it safe and order a 14x7 instead.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Nov 28, 2015, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
8,132 Posts
Tom I run mine at 52-55 amps for 2 years now and have no reason to fear. I do only run about 20 seconds most times.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
1,397 Posts
Thank you...again Jim. Thats about my run time too.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Nov 28, 2015, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
8,132 Posts
I am suprised by your results with the stock prop. I get the 52-55 amps on stock prop and 4s.

I fly at about 4000 feet asl, so my air runs about 12% less dense than found at sea level.
Old Dec 05, 2015, 04:44 AM
Find More Posts by Rudix
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
I finally got around to test flying my Glider drive (840kv) equipped Osprey F5J plane this morning.

The motor launches the plane with lots of authority. I normally only launch to 80-100m, with the GliderDrive, RFM 14x8 prop and 38mm spinner, 60A ESC and NanoTech 1300mah 45-90C battery it takes less than 10 seconds to get to around 100m. The plane's weight is 1542g

I am happy with the combination so my second Osprey, waiting in the box, will also be equipped with a GliderDrive motor.

Rudi
Rudix is online now Find More Posts by Rudix
Old Dec 05, 2015, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by desertdog1
windyhill
United States, OR, Ione
Joined Jan 2009
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudix View Post
I finally got around to test flying my Glider drive (840kv) equipped Osprey F5J plane this morning.

The motor launches the plane with lots of authority. I normally only launch to 80-100m, with the GliderDrive, RFM 14x8 prop and 38mm spinner, 60A ESC and NanoTech 1300mah 45-90C battery it takes less than 10 seconds to get to around 100m. The plane's weight is 1542g

I am happy with the combination so my second Osprey, waiting in the box, will also be equipped with a GliderDrive motor.

Rudi
Hi Rudix, took your advice and went with a 1300 aspeck battery from hobby king, same setup you listed here, here is a shot mounted in my skybird fits good Ron
desertdog1 is offline Find More Posts by desertdog1
Last edited by desertdog1; Dec 05, 2015 at 11:58 AM.