Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Build Log
Sprite 2m Electric (Vladimir Models/ Kennedy Composites)

Hey Gang

I've really been a huge fan of these Electric Blaster 2's, and couldn't pass up this shiny new bird from Vladimir of all my various gliders I have been with out a doubt more impressed with Vladimirs designs, and craftsmanship then any others.

This machine has all the good qualities of the Blaster, with which I am familiar just in larger quantities.

I'd been eyeballing several different 2m kits for a while wanting to have a larger Thermal electric just not a 3m ship, my back yard flying field won't handle a very large ship safely, and also I have had a power system setting around for quite a while which will suit such a ship.

I still have to buy a couple odds, and ends the big ones are a couple batteries I've got a pair of 4s 2100's , they seem way to heavy, and actually don't fit to great considering the batteries, will mount right along side the ESC.

I've got a Neu 1110 2/y w/ a gear box on it, and one of those Jeti Spin 44 esc.

As it looks right now servos that will fit, and I feel will work nicely are these newer Hitec 45's on the ailerons, Volz mini-max on the flaps, and Dymond D60's out in the tail, I may pop a heavier servo on the Elevator if it is needed for balancing.

I'll post some photos in the next couple of days showing some of the design features, I was running short on time this afternoon I only managed to do a quick bolt together.

Ploof
ploof is online now Find More Posts by ploof
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2009, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Got a little more work done on the install, had to sand down the Spinner to reduce the 40mm diameter to 38mm. beats buying a new one, and letting this one collect dust, sprayed a little red Krylon on the spinner for beautification purposes.

I think I might reign in the wires just a bit more, the battery leads I actually wish were a little longer, but the RX power leads the separate BEC unit leads are way to long heading towards the RX, I'm kind of also thinking of shortening the ESC to Motor leads it might make it easier to solidly locate the ESC.

I should have taken pictures earlier when I drilled the motor mount I had an old AXI motor template which was real handy for the centering of the motor, and hole location.

I was busy enjoying some seriously nice weather that blew in today so the photos are outside at dusk. I only showed a couple snazzy odds, and ends.

This machine is a true work of art, it will do it's little Blaster brothers proud.

Ploof
Old May 01, 2009, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by jaizon
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Nice job. How did you do the motor install with the gearbox?
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old May 02, 2009, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Hey there Jaizon

I presently have Cup headed 3mm screws installed these heads stick out quite a bit, and actually have caused me to leave the gap between the spinner, and fuse.

But if I were to use taper, or pan head screws I would be able to draw the spinner back on the outdrive.

If I would have had a 38mm spinner for starters I would be able to close the gap the original spinner shell actually runs back behind the aft surface of the yoke.

Also with the construction of this fuselage the motor mount is actually recessed a fair bit.

I have these small tapered cup washers that I will most likely use with some taped 3mm screws.

Ploof
Old May 02, 2009, 12:34 AM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
What I just can't figure out with my Neu 1506 2D /6.7 gearbox, is how to mount the gearbox/motor in my Ava-e without making an extra firewall to fill the space from the screw holes in the gearbox to the stock firewall if the black collar around the motor shaft doesn't poke through the original firewall. And I'm guessing that making myself is really just about the only way to solve the problem. This would allow for a flush fit for the spinner and a solid mount so unless I can come up with another solution it looks like that's tomorrow's project.
Old May 02, 2009, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Hey there Jaizon

I see what your getting at with that gearbox, that front end really sticks out.

I bet you can do pretty good shimming the motor back off the bulkhead with washers, you can get very precise washes/shims at hobby shops which are made for brushed motors, or RC car differentials, also if you can afford to wait you could by a prefabricated motor mount, and sister up the two motor mount plates to eccentially shim the motor back into the fuse.

I think if I was to just used washers I'd fully tighten the screws, make sure the motor was shooting straight, and put a small amount of thin CA on the washers to make sure they don't start getting a mind of their own.

Hope the install goes well.

Ploof
Old May 02, 2009, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by robh
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Hey Ploof,

Very interesting, and thanks for posting as you go. I'm looking at the KC website, and don't see this bird listed yet - it's that new? Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what's the price, and would a NEU 1105 work as the motor? I've got a spare one lying around here from an old Pulsar that's looking for a home

She sure looks beautiful!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old May 02, 2009, 09:42 AM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Hi Ploof,

Thanks. That is another way to go. I'll decide today. Let us know how yours flies.
Old May 02, 2009, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Hey Rob

I had this 1110 in a Nan Models Spirit 2m it screamed out into the sky. Then after that I had a Carbon Bird at right around 49oz. that was getting shot threw the air pretty fast.

I imagine the 1105 would do well, I kind of wonder if this motor I have is to much mainly because it weighs so damn much, I'll be really bummed if I have to put an ounce, or two of dead weight out in the tail. There's not much chance I'll will be buying a expensive new motor just to save weight.

There are a couple guys on here that might be able to give you a good picture of how the 1105 will work.

I think the pure glider Sprites have been around since late winter/early spring I don't really know about the electrics, I just thought I'd Email Barry to see if they were in the works, and it turned out they had a couple in stock can't beat that.

I was thinking of buying one of those Fireworks Xtend 2m DLG's and fitting it for electric, then this came up and my search was over.

I still imagine that Fireworks would ride lighter, I'm sure this Sprite will suit me perfect, there are rare few occasions when I can fly a really light ship with the ever present breezes around here.

Ploof
Old May 02, 2009, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by robh
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploof
Hey Rob

I had this 1110 in a Nan Models Spirit 2m it screamed out into the sky. Then after that I had a Carbon Bird at right around 49oz. that was getting shot threw the air pretty fast.

I imagine the 1105 would do well, I kind of wonder if this motor I have is to much mainly because it weighs so damn much, I'll be really bummed if I have to put an ounce, or two of dead weight out in the tail. There's not much chance I'll will be buying a expensive new motor just to save weight.

There are a couple guys on here that might be able to give you a good picture of how the 1105 will work.

I think the pure glider Sprites have been around since late winter/early spring I don't really know about the electrics, I just thought I'd Email Barry to see if they were in the works, and it turned out they had a couple in stock can't beat that.

I was thinking of buying one of those Fireworks Xtend 2m DLG's and fitting it for electric, then this came up and my search was over.

I still imagine that Fireworks would ride lighter, I'm sure this Sprite will suit me perfect, there are rare few occasions when I can fly a really light ship with the ever present breezes around here.

Ploof
I can't imagine what the Spirit 2M was like - my 2M Pulsar was a rocket (at least for me) with the 1105 in it. Launch, head straight up, count to 8 at most and it was so high up it was really hard to see. More power from your 1110 in an equivalent sized ship...must have been interesting!

I'm just about to start putting the gear in my Chrysalis, and have an AXI 2814/20 slotted to go in. It weighs about 106 grams. If I end up needing more weight in the nose to get things to balance, I may throw in the 1105 which weighs about 150 grams or so. That could be interesting! I am trying to end up as light as possible, but like you said, adding dead weight to get things to balance is not a good idea - I'll add more power!

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old May 03, 2009, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
I got a little more work done today I good portion of the soldering, figured out just what was going to need to happen on the tail with the servos, and managed to stuff the 2100 4s pack into the pod which is nearly impossible, and weighs way, way to much.

I really think I'm going to have to rethink the motor, and batteries. To balance it out I wouldn't be surprised if I had to add 5oz. or more to the tail.

I'd really like to get a 4s battery going. I checked out a local hobby shop today and didn't find much worth buying, I'm going to have to see what I can find online.

Ploof
Old May 05, 2009, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Well I broke down, and ordered a couple 3s packs both 1350 mah. 30C .

I couldn't find a 4s pack that was that much smaller then the 2010mah packs, I was eyeballing were the CG was at with the 2010mah packs, and it was looking more like I'd be adding 3oz. to the tail which would put the fuse with tail weight alone up to almost 30oz.

I found that CAD diagram, and it turned out ti does look like they were D60's I was just going about it the wrong way, opps.

I might end up doing a switch-a-roo. I only use rudder while thermaling, or while landing the landings end up being a little more agressive this might do a number on the little JR 185.

Ploof
Old May 06, 2009, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by Ernie Diaz
Sailplane
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2006
71 Posts
Sprite 2m EP (Vladmir Models/ kennedy

Ploof,

The build is looking great! Gees...man, the photos are just too much, excellent resolution...! That bird is really high quality stuff..!

Sailplane
Ernie Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Ernie Diaz
Old May 06, 2009, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Played hooky for part of the afternoon, and got a little more soldering done.

I hooked up the RX with a four cell RX pack to test the wiring everything worked on the first go around that never happens usually I have to pull apart something or other to resolder (this makes me worry that something else will go wrong it can't go this smooth)

I've now got the whole thing assembled as the wing side D9 connector is being seated in some epoxy/microballoons overnight.

I'm starting to think I'll put a D60 on the rudder after installing the elevator servo properly I saw that doing this will make it a thousand times easier to connect the elevator linkage on top of that the rudder servo pushes out the Carbon Fiber shell causing the bellcrank assembly to bind somewhat.

Ploof
Old May 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,301 Posts
Ok, got the new Lipo's they fit great I am particularly glad I'm able to send them aft in the pod, the RX is right behind the battery set almost entirely in the boom.

I did the switch-a-roo with the rudder servo, the bellcrank swings cleanly it took a bit of fiddling to fit the wires suitably it appears that the best way to run the wires was over the rudder which works just fine there is plenty of room under the servo hatch to install in this manner.

Oh yeah I also hooked up the motor and lit up the leaf blower everything worked great it seemed powerful enough on the 3s.

Ploof