HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:16 AM
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Aug 2008
1,014 Posts
Jack, didn't say impossible. Said I've been beating on mine for 18 months without damage. I'm not flying around too many obstructions though. My encounters are almost always with the ground! As hard as that is, it's probably much more forgiving than the side of a barn!

1101, I've been using a popsicle stick on either side, much like the ply setup on your Yak, long enough to be firmly attached to the upper and lower carbon fiber reinforcements. MUCH sturdier.... your Sbach design looks sturdier yet! Point taken on installing a little carbon fiber at the common tear points. -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2014, 02:25 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asat View Post
Jack, have you tried a 1300kv BW motor on 3s with a 9x4.7? This is the setup we use for our altitude (4700 asl) and reccomend for an outdoor setup.

Lou
GriffWerks.com
I put together a completely new power system to try the 1300 kv/9x4.7 combo. It's not a strong performer at 423 feet. It's less powerful than the 1500 kv Blue Wonder with 8X4.3 while pulling a lot more juice out of the battery.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Mar 08, 2014, 03:02 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,217 Posts
Winds and weather calmed down enough to put Swift back in action in backyard,still a lot of fun even though i also have Twisted Hobbys 48 in Sbach and Crak Laser..I am in EPP Foamy HEAVEN....
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Mar 08, 2014, 06:05 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
830 Posts
DX6i Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
Here's my setup, just fully checked it:
Ail: 24mm up, 20mm down (differential not intentional, just worked out that way...horns ended up forward slightly of hinge line, maybe that's it. Still less down is good.
Elev: 20mm up/down
Rud: 22mm r/l
CG: 55mm from LE at fuse with 51g cells
AUW: 306g
Power: 86W dropping to 77W as voltage settles to 10.5 volts, used HK wattmeter, GWS DD8040 prop, stock T-Motor 2208 (which I like very much)
D/R: aileron hi 80%, lo 60%, elev/rud hi 100%, lo 80% (which I don't use unless rusty or have Lt. Bourbon as co-pilot)
Expo: 40% all rates
Radio: super trusty Spektrum DX6I, Spektrum 6100e receiver
Hope someone can use this, 'specially (soon to be not so) newguy Jason!
Hi guys. I'm trying to setup my TechOne 330 Extra (900mm version). I'm somewhat new to fixed wing. I bought my 330 awhile back but just recently tried to fly it and it hasn't done too well on the first 2 flts. They were about 20 secs each. The 3rd flt today was 2 and a half mins but no damage! The only settings I was able to find in this forum for my DX6i were these posted above in Oct 2012.

I really just want to be able to fly strait and level until I get the basics down. I enjoy taking off and landing more than anything else so I fly from the ground rather than hand launch. I have a TechOne FunFly I got at the same time and I've been able to fly 10 mins with it on several occaisions.

These are my settings based on a guess. Lo Rates 40 w/30 Expo; Hi Rates 70 w/20% Expo.

Should I be at 40% Expo all around? What are the recommended Lo settings for a beginner on a DX6i? Would it be better to measure throws rather than setting lo rates? If so, what should they be for a beginner? And what are some good advanced settings for pattern flying when I can fly this better?

My motor is the T2212 w/ a 30A ESC turning a GWS 9050 prop. Thanks for any advice you can give!
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2014, 06:53 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,137 Posts
The setuo you found was for another plane, most likely a 32" profile. Yours is bigger and much heavier

If you can't find the manual, try to get your control surfaces as follows:
Ailerons : high rate 40 degree up and down. Expo 70%. Low rate 15 degree up and down, 50% expo

elevator: high rate: 45 degree up and down, Expo 70%. Low rate15 degree up and down, 40% Expo

Rudder: one rate, 45 degree right and left, 50% Expo.

I would use 3s 1000 at least 25c. Don't bother with the recommended CG. Just use all stock electronics and you would be good. Thid plane is very very difficult to land in traditional way because it just won't taxi.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Apr 01, 2014, 01:14 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,117 Posts
Is the MXS the easiest to fly in the 32" EPP line?

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:18 AM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
Is the MXS the easiest to fly in the 32" EPP line?

bob
They can all be easy to fly if you keep the build light and set them up for your ability. Low throws makes it fly like a slow sport plane and full throw it can be a 3D monster.
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:07 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
They can all be easy to fly if you keep the build light and set them up for your ability. Low throws makes it fly like a slow sport plane and full throw it can be a 3D monster.
Right, but the MXS is a little bigger? Don't some models float better than others?

bob
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:30 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Right, but the MXS is a little bigger? Don't some models float better than others?

bob
That's right if you keep them light they are floaty.
No over sized motors or batteries or heavy MG servos.
My 48" 2 3/4 lb Edge 540 is very floaty and the best 3D plane in it's class.
Lighter planes have lower wing loading and have better stall characteristics thus are able to fly slower and feel floaty.
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:43 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,014 Posts
Agree regarding keeping them light and "floaty" by going with the lightest motor and battery combo you can get away with, but I think any difference created going with 12-13g metal gear servos is worth it for rookie flyers! When I stop breaking the plane, THEN maybe I'll go to plastic gears!

If you're looking for floaty, you should also keep the Swift in mind. That plane will be MUCH easier to fix than an MXS when it hits the ground....
Old Apr 02, 2014, 09:10 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Agree regarding keeping them light and "floaty" by going with the lightest motor and battery combo you can get away with, but I think any difference created going with 12-13g metal gear servos is worth it for rookie flyers! When I stop breaking the plane, THEN maybe I'll go to plastic gears!

If you're looking for floaty, you should also keep the Swift in mind. That plane will be MUCH easier to fix than an MXS when it hits the ground....
Swift is too big. Trying to stay 32-34"

thx
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,014 Posts
Oops, sorry!
Old Apr 02, 2014, 11:38 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
562 Posts
Quote:
Swift is too big. Trying to stay 32-34"

thx
Here are a couple of threads on the TechOne 800mm planes from the same series as the MXS:

Sukhoi 29

Sbach 342

I liked the Sbach so much I also ordered an Su-29!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Apr 03, 2014, 01:51 AM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
712 Posts
Maiden this morning and i loved this bird. At last i found the right model to replace my old time Piaget. Roll rate is very high and i've to reduced to 80% for nice harrier rolling.
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:11 AM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
712 Posts
Mysetup;

Motor Himodel 1500kv 26grams
Esc 10amp
Prop 9050
HS65hb for Aileron
HXT500 for tail