SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,565 Posts
Depending on the model, I think they range from 70 to 120 pounds sailing weight.

As for the largest, if you mean RC model, I think Sindia may be; if not, she's gotta be close.

Building a model up in the 15-20 foot range isn't the issue; it's having room in the shop; a place to put it when it's done; a way to move it around; and a way to launch and retrieve the thing.

Getting bigger also gets into other ways to controls things that servos aren't strong enough to handle.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
867 Posts
Ship displacement

My 1:24 scale model of Surprise from SC&H weighed in at 110 to 120 pounds after all the equipment for guns and fun things were installed. It was not intended to be handled out of the water by one person. The lead keel was 40 pounds but the ship still couldn't be handled by one person with that part off the hull.

Dan L could handle his brig single handedly with the keel off but not with it on.

What I am playing with now is much heavier--the locomotive is 650 pounds but we are having fun!
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
What I am playing with now is much heavier--the locomotive is 650 pounds but we are having fun!
very nice and happy that you got a lot of fun.

The santisima has a weight of 30 kg.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
Para, that is one heck of a train !

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:28 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,341 Posts
probanly the largest RC model...

Philip Goode (Majorca) http://www.adventureundersail.com/ge...wsquarerig.htm revived the Xebec rig!
Quarter-ton 3.5m 1:12.5 exact scale model of the Mainmast Barquentine Pelican
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:30 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,389 Posts
Interesting ship and website, thanks MB.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
828 Posts
how's 13 feet?
usually i put down my efforts at building....i build, and forget i ever built it.....but i'ts funny...i just happen to see some old photos of the victory......and i was taken aback....i couldn't believe i built that....i can hardly remember even building it.....strange....i must be living in a dream
oh ...i found someone else with a large victory....the portsmouth model boat display team....
http://pmbdt.co.uk/HOMEPAGE.html
they sail at canoe lake, regretfully a salt water lake...lots of cleaning needed after sailing...but access all around the lake...
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 19, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Oct 2006
828 Posts
by the way, it's likely everyone does this, but i just thought i'cd mention just in case.....i always cut the flag poles at the base, drill a hole, and insert a brass wire and glue to the mast, so when they get knocked, they just bend , and can be straightened ......i also do this with the bowsprit....i cut if half way back and re-glue with an appropriate thickness brass wire or rod in the centre....saved me many times
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,565 Posts
Where is your Victory now Vic?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
828 Posts
sold it to some japanese business men int 1986 for around $8000....i don't know how much commision the store took which displayed it for me... i had to redesign the masts to break down, so it would fit in a crate to be flown to japan.....i find, the japanese are very supportive of these things....it was so big, i just didn't know what to do with it.....why do i do these things?? kind of like painting myself in a corner
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2006
828 Posts
egads...i've created a monster.....and now i don't know what to do with it .....the book store managers who said they would put it in the window, were just stringing me along it seems...keeping me in expectation for three months ...sheesh!..it's beyond me, why people would do things like that.........and the local maritime museum wouldn't want it even if i gave it to them, cause they would have to build a case for it....ebay is useless for this kind of thing......so i think the best chance i have of finding a home for it, is taking it on the dolly out on the streets for exposure, and maybe the right person will come along........i'll focus on that next spring and summer..strange how most people love to look at it, but businesses won't want to display it...it would bring them a lot of attention......anyways....meanwhile, i'll put it in storage for the winter, during which time i may focus on rigging this 16", greatly modified model kit of the hms prince, which i showed to tbowman, and is my favorite ship of all.....it actually has a ballast in it , but i highly doubt i'll try to add radio..but then again, maybe this could start a new bathtub class of rc sailing...............................cheers.... .
Last edited by yancovitch; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,565 Posts
Take it out for a sail and call the local news. When they interview you about it - tell them it's for sale. Let them advertise for you.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,341 Posts
definitely sail sail sail !!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2006
828 Posts
fraid my age is catching up with me regarding sailing it....also the cost of renting large vans is a strain on my budget.....but if i could manage to get it to the most popular tourist lake in the middle of vancouver next spring or summer, and sail it illegally, and have the press there to watch me get arrested and or fined....that might get some attention ...and maybe i could get the "people" behind me, regarding allowing sailing ships on the lake... although i have less energy these days, and am not too adventurous.
but yes...the media is the way to go......
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Do all that you describe about but do not put the boat in the water. Have lake manager there and press. Have lake manager explain why you can not sail your model in the lake. Get it recorded by media.

My suggestion is to stage it and do all you can legally. Stop short of actually getting arrested.

Take the time to rig and then explain to press why you can not sail and un rig your boat ...slowly for press impact.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger