HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:18 AM
Joined Oct 2010
78 Posts
Discussion
Walkera LAMA3 help

Hey guys, look what I found whilst digging through some old boxes.

It's been a while and I don't quite remember why it was in storage. According to my notes, I had a problem whilst rebuilding it and sort of gave up on the project. It turns out the one way bearings were moving in the wrong direction. The top rotor is supposed to spin ccw and bottom cw, but what I've got spins the other way.

I have to say this is quite a unique helicopter, I think the only mass produced coaxial with a single motor. It'd be a shame to have to trash this. Anyone here with experience with this heli?

EDIT: I just checked through my records and the problematic parts,

HM-LAMA3-Z-30 - Main Gear (Inner Set) B
HM-LAMA3-Z-31 - Synchromesh Pulley
were purchased from myrcmart.com
chris_n26 is offline Find More Posts by chris_n26
Last edited by chris_n26; Jul 18, 2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: new info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:01 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,092 Posts
To fix the reversed rotation issue, swap any two of the main motor connections.
Other problems I can't really help with as I've not owned one of these (thankfully ).
If you need the exploded view parts diagram, that I do have.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:44 AM
Joined Oct 2010
78 Posts
No dice with swapping the motor direction. All this did was rotate the blades in the other direction giving upwards thrust.

I believe the solution is simple enough, remove one way bearings and reverse the direction. Easier said than done, I have no clue how to remove these without damaging the parts. I think I might just have to search for a vendor that stocks the necessary parts.

Edit:*Sigh* I'm still having trouble recalling why I gave up on this rebuild project. It looks like there's hope. I checked helipal and their picture at least has the bearings in the right way.

compare this to what I have

It would be nice to know of any reliable vendors selling these parts, without the problem I have.
Last edited by chris_n26; Jul 18, 2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:22 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,092 Posts
I must have misunderstood what you wrote, when you said "The top rotor is supposed to spin ccw and bottom cw, but what I've got spins the other way" I thought the rotor discs actually rotating the wrong way was one of the issues.
Is it only a reversed one way bearing that's the center of the problem?
In the attached screenshot, both one way bearings (82 and 84) are shown separate, so they should come out without damage, depending on what tools you have available.
Here's a link for the part...
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4254
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
78 Posts
Hmm, I"m surprised that there aren't that many lama 3 fliers nowadays. Was it that bad of a coaxial heli?

Anyways, I got a reply from helipal and they were kind enough to take a photo of their inventory.

It does seem as if they have the bearings on the right way, well the one on the right I can see, I'll have to ask further for the left part.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2010
647 Posts
I always thought the Lama 3 was interesting. I have one that is brand new in the box and never touched yet, which includes the 2801Pro radio. I don't think I would ever use it. Parts support is not good at all and will only get worse.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:54 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,221 Posts
Wok-Error= Murphy's Law

IMHO...

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012