Old Jul 04, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
390 Posts
No disrespect meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealextremefan View Post
If anyone needs any help for Dealextreme regarding items, discounts etc

just let me know
Fist of all no disrespect meant to DealExtreme. I smoked it all by myself. Nothing wrong with your product.

If you have followed this thread, you would know I/we are trying to build and audio variometer. The barometer (GY-63 MS5611) you have. The Arduino Nano 3.0, you have. And the code we have. So we have the right sound.
The problem is we need a transmitter and receiver. We want to avoid anything that requires a license i.e. LPD, 433 MHZ or GMRS etc. FM seems overly crowded to me. FPV seems to have too much overhead (volts, power drain and unused electronics) unless you really wanted video too, then FPV is the perfect solution. I have tried FRS but so far have not managed to get it to transmit continuously.
So do you have a product that would meet out needs? That is a transmitter that will take the sound (generated at 2 volts) and transmit it to the ground up to say 1 km distance, line of sight. And of course a receiver that will let us hear the sound preferably in earphones? And if you could have it operate at 5 volts that would be great.
George Franklin is online now Find More Posts by George Franklin
Last edited by George Franklin; Jul 05, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2013, 04:44 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Oct 2012
339 Posts
Technical

Actually it's a little technical for me, though if you find anything on the site, then i'll be sure to help, get discounts etc..

dealextremefan is offline Find More Posts by dealextremefan
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
390 Posts
After the Dealextreme post I took a fresh look at FPV. They have an 5.8 GHz 200 mw FPV system at $62.50. Seems attractive. You have to go to other web sites to get the actual details but it only draws 150 mA. Unfortunately that needs to be at 7-12 Volts. So a separate battery must be used. Hobby Wireless suggested a Lipo 3s at 800 mhA (11.1 volts) and wrote that it would run for 50 minutes. That battery weighs 2.2 ounces. The transmitter weighs 35 grams (1.23 oz) with the antenna. And the system requires a voltage regulator, 6 grams (.21 oz). The Arduino and the barometer with wires weigh just under an oz. So 5.54 oz for the on plane portion of and audio only system. Might be OK for a large glider but a little much to add to most 2 meter ships.
Old Jul 06, 2013, 09:10 AM
What you looking' at fool!
Australia, WA, Morley
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
Here's a _simple_ video explaining why you don't need a whole arduino board - less weight.

How-To: Shrinkify Your Arduino Projects (3 min 42 sec)
GlidingFool is offline Find More Posts by GlidingFool
Old Jul 06, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2013
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlidingFool View Post
Here's a _simple_ video explaining why you don't need a whole arduino board - less weight.

http://youtu.be/30rPt802n1k
There is not a lot of money to be saved on this project and an Arduino Nano weighs less than an ounce. You can get the Arduino Nano from Dealextreme for $10.99 (free shipping). You can't program the Shrinkify chip without an Arduino and several other bits and pieces. So even if you were able to mass produce a project with the Shrinkify you would not be able to upgrade without going back to the Arduino.
Most of the links to the Shrinkify project page are either broken or circular. Finally found the right link.

http://kathabuzz.com/shrinkify-ardui...tt-richardson/

The Shrinkify chip speed is good @ 20 MHz vs the Arduino Nano or Micro are @ 16 MHz. But the data from the MS5611 barometer is in 24 bit. I don't know if Shrinkify can handle that. Also the Shrinkify chip has only 8KB memory. So no guarantee the audio variometer would run on this puppy. Several of us have it running on the Arduino Nano or Arduino Micro and this is going to be a limited run item. Most people will build just one for themselves.
This might work for somebody but there are too many ifs for me to put my time and money on it.
Waiting for my MS5611 from GoodLuckBuy, which I ordered 7/2/13 but didn't ship until today 7/6/13. Estimated arrival 7/18/13.
Still looking for a transmitter solution.
Old Jul 06, 2013, 01:18 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
586 Posts
George -
Re your post #66 - - -
Happy to see your continuing effort and study. I have no doubt you will come up with a suitable system. Keep up the good work!!
CurtissP40 is online now Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2013, 03:03 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,793 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/30rPt802n1k
Indeed, a real evolution to make some tones Fool!!

TF
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Jul 06, 2013, 08:31 PM
Australia, WA, Morley
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
Hi George

You are right . . . and wrong. (IMHO!)

The "shrinkify chip" is . . . just a chip. Go to China and you can get them for cents, not dollars. Being only a chip, much of the required circuitry can be soldered directly to the pins of the chip, allowing us to modify the shape of circuit to fit where we want it to go. Also less weight is . . . less weight.

I already have a couple of Arduino's (but no nano's), so it will be cheaper for me to buy the little chips (although I was actually going to buy ATMega 328's - only an extra 4 pins).

Having said all that, the audio transmitter remains the challenge. Frankly, I am looking to put something in my Turnigy 9x and use the backchannel telemetry from FrSky radio deck to do that (I hope).

Meanwhile, George. You are making more progress than I atm. Keep up the good work!
Old Jul 06, 2013, 08:34 PM
Australia, WA, Morley
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
Hi TF

1975? Really? Why aren't they built into every glider? I ask as a young 'un. I was still flying control line in 1975 and had no idea about this funny electrickery stuff. Hell, it was enough of a challenge to have a battery for the glow plug back then.

Cheers
Old Jul 06, 2013, 08:37 PM
Australia, WA, Morley
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
Oh . .

Forgot to mention: I use my arduino and a little home built board to program my Turnigy radio. More than happy to program some processors for you. (Not write the code though - I'm too stoopid)

Cheers again
Old Jul 07, 2013, 05:50 AM
Joined Feb 2013
390 Posts
Quote:
Oh . .

Forgot to mention: I use my arduino and a little home built board to program my Turnigy radio. More than happy to program some processors for you. (Not write the code though - I'm too stoopid)

Cheers again
You have the Arduino and the code is readily available.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749208

So let's see if you can you can make it work on a Shrinkify.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Hi TF

1975? Really? Why aren't they built into every glider? I ask as a young 'un. I was still flying control line in 1975 and had no idea about this funny electrickery stuff. Hell, it was enough of a challenge to have a battery for the glow plug back then.

Cheers
Hello Fool (nice - ''Fool'' -!)

In the past the "Thermic Sniffler" was there, brand ACE. Don't know the exact date, discovered later it was there in the past.

The picture I show is one of my own vario's, about 1975.
You see a part of the vario as you wrote about :
Being only a chip, much of the required circuitry can be soldered directly to the pins of the chip, allowing us to modify the shape of circuit to fit where we want it to go.

These electronics do generate the tones of the vario the comparable with the real gliders.
On the right side the "down link" transmitter.
Consumption? 9 VDC about 10 mA for the transmitter and 16 mA for the whole system.

You see, in the past we needed some more components and volume because it was more a method of proto typing and SMD wasn't there, but, count the components!
Only the sensor system was different and the "barometer" chips didn't exist in the past.

(I still remember and you can recognize, some parts that were used are from an earlier vario, the adjustment multi turn potentiometer on the left side for example is wrong positioned. These were a kind of separate modules just as we talking now about the barometer sensor, Arduino and transmitter!)

Under construction, transmitter 174 MHz, long range, an example, no Chinese needed!!

Cees
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Jul 07, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:43 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
169 Posts
That 174Mhz Tx is art!
rrcdoug is offline Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,793 Posts
Yes doug, art, but,
when we observe the transmitter diagram of the Thermic Sniffler of ACE, and compare that with an end result of one of my own transmitters of these days you see there is nothing changed.
I numbered the parts and 6 has to be added on the circuit board, the switching transistor.
I multiply the frequency of the crystal, but of course this could have done in the past too, just as in the Kraft transmitter doublers were used.

I am convinced the Sniffler transmitter once looked like the way I show you in that last post, the premature stage of birth.
The transmitter in this post is 2 stages, oscillator and amplifier.
the Oscillator is also used to multiply the frequency, from 50 to 150 Mhz.
Clou,
Design is depending of requirements and not what happens to be available, this is very important to produce a product but also to service it over years. It seems to be simply forgotten in this thread.

Cees
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Jul 08, 2013 at 03:18 AM.