HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
908 Posts
no i rub it on the plug just before vac forming or on the canopy before poring in the dry lining adhesive it is a bit like plaster of paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
That's interesting.I've been casting around
(sorry about that)for something to use to copy a canopy.
Are you using the wash liquid to get a more 'plastic' mix(an old dodge when mixing cement mortar)
Stuart
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:01 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot View Post
no i rub it on the plug just before vac forming or on the canopy before poring in the dry lining adhesive it is a bit like plaster of paris
Thanks,dpot.I have a half bag left over from a project,will give it a try.It'll certainly be cheaper than stuff from the craft shops.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:22 AM
builder and crasher
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
I don't know if this will be helpful or not...
I have been in the Thermoforming business as a maintenance manager for more years than I can remember.
For PET production tooling (60,000 lbs/day of product at 45mil) we use Syntactic Foam for the "Plug" or male side of the formed piece.

It is smooth. available in many sizes, holds up to heat, is machinable, and can be finished to a very smooth, even glossy finish. You wont be able to work it with a hobby knife.Plastic doesn't stick to it. It is fairly hard and breaks when dropped.
It is kinda expensiveIt can be glued together with epoxy and also comes in castable gallon liquid.
maxgull is offline Find More Posts by maxgull
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:34 AM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
436 Posts
maxgull, that's great information, thanks! my dura-bond plug is just about ready to go and I'm expecting sheet plastic in the mail today or tomorrow.

would a light dusting of dry powder for a release agent mar the inside of the plastic do you think?

I can make another plug using the mold i have and the liquid plastic you referred to. if the dura bond doesn't work too well that'll be plan b

thanks,
bart
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola