HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
The sails are from Rod Carr, they are a b suit he is making my A suit now as well should get them very soon the hulls have about 4 coats of marine varnish on them
darynxbcoupe is offline Find More Posts by darynxbcoupe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
First test run today with tri winds were 10 to 14 knots it kept forward flipping had the b rig on i think i need to add some weight at the back of each outer hull or maybe a t rudder

any suggestions
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
I've been busy working on the T50 just haven't posted any pictures. So here are a few pictures of what I have done.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:16 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
@HircSailor:

The type of battery holder you have installed is very unreliable in my experience. If you are planning to use rechargeables, an alternative would be this pre-built battery pack that is pretty much the same dimension and shape:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

Also available in 5 cell 6 volts and also available as a flat pack instead of 2x2
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darynxbcoupe View Post
First test run today with tri winds were 10 to 14 knots it kept forward flipping had the b rig on i think i need to add some weight at the back of each outer hull or maybe a t rudder

any suggestions
Have you tried asking Will at Tippecanoe about it? That would be the thing to do.

The boat looks great and I'd love to see video when you get it going!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
Have you tried asking Will at Tippecanoe about it? That would be the thing to do.

The boat looks great and I'd love to see video when you get it going!
Yeh emailed him he has told me a couple of things to help i have also built a t foil rudder and will test this weekend, will get some photos and maybe video.
It takes off so fast when i get it tuned i reckon its going to be very fun to sail
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:23 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
That battery holder is the one that came with the kit. I have several different battries that I use when sailing.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,108 Posts
Those come as OEM for the Kyosho Seawind and lots of guys use them. Like Penguin, I have found them temperamental at best and unreliable at the worst, particularly around salt water.

A flaky battery connection is a lousy reason to lose a boat, or have to go for a swim to retrieve one. Plus, a 5 cell pack won't fry your Rx or servos and gives lots more torque for pulling in the sheets. I don;t even like those spring connectors in my DX6i. If I weren't so cheap, I would buy a better 2.4 GHz Tx that uses 2 cell lipo packs.

I converted the Royal Evo 9 I use for gliders over to 2-cell lipos and never looked back, but it is FM and the darn Spektrum module I tried in it just did not have the same range as the DX6i for some reason so I am reluctant to use it when racing or on a big lake with my boats.

Anyway, I would go 5 cell soldered packs just for the peace of mind, but YMMV.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
couple of photos only 3 to 6 knots very light but still went fast
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
rc tri racing ferry

rc tri racing ferry (0 min 21 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:13 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
Nice looking boat and the video shows that it can really move out. Did the tour boat give you a head start. How well did the boat handle the tour boats wake.
I've been lazy the last few days and haven't worked on the T50, but will attach the keel bolts and the the deck should be ready to epoxy to the hull then. In dry fitting the keel fin to the hull I noticed a small gap between the top of the fin and the hull bottom, so I'm tgoing to cover the hull with plastic wrap and make a small fillet to close up the gap. Then its building the mast and the rigging.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
Nice looking boat and the video shows that it can really move out. Did the tour boat give you a head start. How well did the boat handle the tour boats wake.
I've been lazy the last few days and haven't worked on the T50, but will attach the keel bolts and the the deck should be ready to epoxy to the hull then. In dry fitting the keel fin to the hull I noticed a small gap between the top of the fin and the hull bottom, so I'm tgoing to cover the hull with plastic wrap and make a small fillet to close up the gap. Then its building the mast and the rigging.
it just sailed over wake with no problem and i did have a head start
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
Yea its hard to beat something that has two motors and you only have wind power, but it did make an interesting video.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
I can't believe how fast that thing is sailing! Wow!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:38 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
Work on the T50 has almost stopped as my wife needs my work table(kitchen island) for her holiday cooking. I'm ready to glue the deck on but need to fix a problem with the sail wench first, for some reason the drum doesn't return to the same place when stick is returned to netural. I only have 3 wraps of line on one and 4 wraps of line on the other and I not sure if that is the problem or not. Talked to Will and he couldn't understand why either but he is sending me more 90lb line to do the sail wench over. That is a nice thing about Will as if you have a problem he will do almost anything to help, even sending you more parts at no cost if you need it.
Hope to get back to building soon. I do steal a little of the island at times to do some small work like build the mast and such . That plus I have to build a new stand as the stands that I have now aren't tall enough for the boat with the fin and bulb attached so I have plenty to keep me busy untill my wifes cooking is finished and I get the kitchen island back to work on.