HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Discussion
Need advice on my second glider

I have been flying this Hawk Sky for a few weeks with about 15-16 hours of flight - I have not dropped this plane after first two/three crashes. But i am giving it to my wife to learn and thinking get a better glider myself.

I am looking at different things but cannot decide which one is better. I have been looking at Radian 1 and Radian Pro and even the Diamond 2500 on Nitroplanes. My objective is to

- Do some long flights in the sky
- Do some aerial recording with my Sony Bloggie -- But I don't think I will be going towards FPV next 5/6 months
- I plan to get a good one and then stick with it for a few months!

I didn't use rudder after first few hours of flight on my HawkSky, infact I just unplugged it mechanically. I have been just using Ailerons to do the turns so I do not know how good I will be with Radian 1 as it does not has Ailerons

Can you guys give me some tips, advices or suggestions?
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Using rudder and elevator to control a thermal glider that has dihedral is good enough, aileron control + rudder + elevator + flaps + spoliers is normally for speedy contest flights, ie. slope glider. There have been many gliders equipping ailerons and flaps available on market. You have to make up your mind depending on what you would like to fly.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; May 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Chen is right, if bang for buck is a factor, since you already have a tx if you get just the kits without tx the price is fairly close, I would lean toward the pro for this reason.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
The original radian will float better than the pro. It also makes a great AP platform with those big wings with lots of dihedral. The pro is a better choice if your goal is to learn how to work different flight modes while on your way to moving up to more expensive birds.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old May 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Using rudder and elevator to control a thermal glider that has dihedral is good enough, aileron control + rudder + elevator + flaps + spoliers is normally for speedy contest flights, ie. slope glider. There have been many gliders equipping ailerons and flaps available on market. You have to make up your mind depending on what you would like to fly.
Chen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Chen is right, if bang for buck is a factor, since you already have a tx if you get just the kits without tx the price is fairly close, I would lean toward the pro for this reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
The original radian will float better than the pro. It also makes a great AP platform with those big wings with lots of dihedral. The pro is a better choice if your goal is to learn how to work different flight modes while on your way to moving up to more expensive birds.
Thank you guys for your tips - - I ended up picking up Original Radian PNP for now - I considered the Pro version but thinking I might not be able to handle it completely - I decided to pick the Radian
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80