HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
hey folks, heres some more pics of the bird, she flies beautifully except for a small cyclic wobble in fast forward flight oe even if theres a decent breeze she will wobble. its only slight, but enough to annoy me. its doing it on both my 600 size multi blade heli's. they both run a beast x gyro, they both run cnc multi blade heads, they both run tf model 600mm semi symmetrical carbon infused blades. ive tried increasing and decreasing cyclic gain, headspeed, loosening and tightening the blades at the blade grip. no joy. so if any champion ou there has any insightful knowledge id be very appreciative!

i saw a clip posted by an apache pilot from the 1st cavalry 101st airborne stationed in afghanistan on a us military blog site of his chopper being spooled up and it had this awesome 1st cavalry shield where apaches normally have the trademark set of teeth painted. it really stood out so i tracked it and the sword and spades emblem used for varios cavalry divisions down from a US military decal site and gave it to my vinyl cutter guy to re-draw. (gotta love iphone screen capture!!)

We also cut out numbers, us army decal, danger decal and various warning decals and the lines and circles painted on the fuselage that are indicators to ground crew.

Then of course, added them which was extremely rewarding i might add. once added i applied my final thick coat of dull coat to protect the paint and decals.

Time to take her out for a spin with her new do!

For the cockpit, I took some images from the net of an apache cockpit, got my self some balsa wood and proceeded to make myself an apache cockpit to the best of my ablitly. this was some of the fun'est 6 hours ive spent building from scratch since i was a kid. great fun. highly reccomended, and if I can do it, ANYONE can.haha

Pilot seat

Pilot Seat & Pilot Console

Pilot & gunner w center console

taking shape

Voila!

all i need now are instrument panels and pilots. if anyone knows where to find apache scale pilots for 600 size that would be great because i cannot find any.

At the top of this thread, you see a picture of an ugly hughes 500 stock align kit, i hated the color scheme and always intended to paint it, so i stripped her back, primed, added rivet dots, and had decals made up representing my home city "Auckland Scenic Heli" added a 5 blade head and replaced the motor/esc and now shes my dream hughes. heres some shots of my two gals at the airfield...dont tell my wife i call them that.

so yeah, time to find and build a scale blackhawk 600 size. dont tell my wife i said that either!
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
heres my apache in full flight.
T-REX 600 ESP APACHE AH-64B FULL FLIGHT.mov (5 min 21 sec)

heres my hughes in full flight.
Hughes500D-Multi Blade Head - compass knight 600e.mov (3 min 57 sec)

enjoy!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
[QUOTE=JayNZ;21341432]Hello from New Zealand!

i'm currently waiting for the main rotor head to come back from the engineering dept at the Royal New Zealand Air Force. A friend of mine is re tapping some shotty original workmanship on the top center screw hole on top of the main rotor head, as it came from the manufacturer drilled on an angle. Once thats done, i can paint and attach my air sensor tower and fire it up without it oscillating wildly. "

I am having the same issue with my apache head. the top piece is a little wobbly, Think it was tapped crooked? It is hard to retap it? I get a nasty vibe on spool up, but then goes away. I can see the very top wobble as it were bent or assembled wrong.......
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
I am having the same issue with my apache head. the top piece is a little wobbly, Think it was tapped crooked? It is hard to retap it? I get a nasty vibe on spool up, but then goes away. I can see the very top wobble as it were bent or assembled wrong.......[/QUOTE]

Hey mate, Try screwing the grub screw quite deep into the top of the head first, and then screw the sensor on, and if that wobbles, then try screwing it (the grub screw)deep into the airsensor first and then try screwing that onto the head. if that still oscillates, then you will not only need it retapped, but re-lathed, which is what i had to have done to mine. BUT... I think i just did it wrong, and basically the grubscrew needs to be deep inside the head and only a little inside the air sensor because even after lathing and retapping i still had a wobble but once i sunk the screw deeper into the head, i eliminated it. good luck.
Last edited by JayNZ; Aug 25, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Hi all.

well, It happened, i had quite a bad crash, nothing too major, the picture is far worse than the actual damage. just blade strike and some things like engine intake popping off, and a quite heflty tail strike.

The mechanics are fine, a bent mainshaft was the worst of it. all gears are fine, oh and a broken ball link in one of my phase arms on my rotor head which is annoying but ive already got a replacement o the way.

I contacted TF models and they sent me out a new engine intake, and while i was at it i ordered new cockpit canopy and windows. I've decided to take my time and add lots of extra little mods such as Pilots, Cockpit instrument panels, Chaff dispensers, IR sensors, new tail antenna and tail cooling intake, antenna fins for under her belly, Antenna mast that runs up the verticle stab, and an all new automated machine gun all from fine-scalemodela.com.

heres where im at with the gun build.

My tail boom is repaired, primed, riveted and ready to be re-mounted and painted.

More pics to come as i progress. Who said crashes were all bad huh? like a phoenix she shall rise from the ashes.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
More work done to the new gun. shes ready for priming and painting. since these photos ive got the Servo connected, and works perfectly. i just slowed down the speed of the servo to create a smoother movement but i have 3 settings, up, middle & downwards. also cleaned up a lot of the soldering and filed and sanded the brass back to a smooth finish. a few rivet lines and its ready.

Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
626 Posts
Looks cool Jay

I see one servo is the second still in the fuselage?
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
nice front gun there. that website you mentioned were you got it, does not work for me. is it typed correctly.

As for the grub screw, there isn't a grub screw to mount the top sensor. I pulled it completely off, it was mounted with some bearing mounting glue........

Still has a huge wobble on start up and down, but seems to go away at higher rpm's.

I ripped the blades off and spun it up, and it was worse. I even changed the main shaft, (knowing it wasn't bent), still no luck.

I'm all out of ideas. as the head didn't come with instructions and the cnchelicopters.com service is non existent now, I don't know what to do. as my apache fuse should be here tomorrow, I'm getting excited, but worried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-E9...ature=youtu.be
Last edited by buddertoast; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Hi Bud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-E9...ature=youtu.be[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what mine did. the vibration also resonated throughout the mechanics as does yours. My head is not the same as yours, mines a standard 4 blade cnc head from double-cats.com. does that head module that the sensor tower slots into screw in to a hole at all? if its fixed, and option would be to mount the whole head (minus the blade grips, and feathering shafts(if need be) to a lathe and machine it until its perfectly centered and balanced.

If its not fixed, and screws in, try making sure the base of the screw hole is perfectly flat, as is the bottom of the sensor base.

The play in the blade grips is normal, all 3 of my heads have a slight bit of play, and it seems like a lot when you lift the tip of the blade up and down, but outward centrifugal force fixes any issue there. were talking microns of play realistically.

That head looks really nice i hope you can sort this issue out. Maybe some of the other lads would care to cast a helping opinion?

good luck, ill keep thinking about it.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Here is the link to the apache gun and other accessories btw. theres also apache pilots on another page.

http://www.fine-scalemodela.com/ah-64-apache1.html
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, Jay. Now I'm even deeper in debt.

I ordered the gun, the gun mount, air sensor and some misc. stuff on the Cobra page (antenna and pitot tube) for my UH-1.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
Thanks for posting the link, Jay. Now I'm even deeper in debt.

I ordered the gun, the gun mount, air sensor and some misc. stuff on the Cobra page (antenna and pitot tube) for my UH-1.
Nice one. Urwan is pretty on to it, you should'nt be waiting long. the gun is great fun to build as im only just getting into soldering and that was theraputic to say the least.

Hope the air sensor works out for you?
Last edited by JayNZ; Aug 29, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
Nice one Bud. Urwan is pretty on to it, you should'nt be waiting long. the gun is great fun to build as im only just getting into soldering and that was theraputic to say the least.

Hope the air sensor works out for you?
Based on the photo on the site, I am assuming that the gun comes with the cage made of nylon (or plastic, or whatever it is) but you chose to make one out metal (brass?) Is that correct? If so, kudos to your soldering skills.

I am hoping the air sensor comes with some sort of set screw or threaded bolt that will thread into the 3mm head button hole in the top of my CopterX 4-blade rotor head. If not, I guess I will have to improvise.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
Based on the photo on the site, I am assuming that the gun comes with the cage made of nylon (or plastic, or whatever it is) but you chose to make one out metal (brass?) Is that correct? If so, kudos to your soldering skills.

I am hoping the air sensor comes with some sort of set screw or threaded bolt that will thread into the 3mm head button hole in the top of my CopterX 4-blade rotor head. If not, I guess I will have to improvise.
cheers man, Yeah the little resin gun cage is really flimsy and in the instructions it advises you to reinforce the main length with brass tube but i did the whole thing just for kicks. it was good fun/frustrating at times.

the air sensor didnt come with the grub screw, i had to buy 3mm one from dubro, and then 4mm ones when my airforce buddy re-tapped and lathed both the head and sensor holes for me. he was adamant that the sensor screw hole was drilled incorrectly, and the top of my 4 blade head's screw hole was lopsided on the top and the hole was drilled incorrectly also. Cant argue with his lasers i guess, so be prepared for the possibility your sensor may need balancing. any engineering place with a decent lathe can sort it for you im sure.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Can't wait to see this gun with some paint on it!!