SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jul 2004
183 Posts
Trader Rating: 57
Question
Blocking buyers/sellers

I've been trading here on RCG for a while now and am fortunate to have had only smooth transactions. Reading about problems others have recently experienced, like unkowingly buying used engines from a guy who has been representing them as new, makes me reluctantly think that it's time to start blocking some buyers and sellers.

Unfortunately, I don't see a good way of doing this. For example, is it possible to block posts and PMs from a user in my 'for sale' threads but still be able to read that user's posts in other forums?
modestmagi is offline Find More Posts by modestmagi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,880 Posts
Trader Rating: 382
Sad, I know.

Does your Ignore list not filter it out for your?

Yes, once on the "Igor" list, one cannot read any post from said member. Yet, one can remove said member to read and then add back, if that is your preference.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,541 Posts
Trader Rating: 115
There's a "view post" in the upper right of the posts from my igor list. Let's you see the post w/o removing them from the list.

But, after the list grows a bit it sometimes difficult to tell if "user-x" is ignored for bad trading or the inability to compose competent posts and stay on topic.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
The problem with blocking these guys is that it doesn't stop them from preying on the other people here. These people need to be called out and banned from the forum.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
I've posted in the SSC forum asking for him to be banned. I would appreciate it if all of you would post your thought on this there http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post21077361
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2004
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Does your Ignore list not filter it out for your?

Yes, once on the "Igor" list, one cannot read any post from said member. Yet, one can remove said member to read and then add back, if that is your preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
There's a "view post" in the upper right of the posts from my igor list. Let's you see the post w/o removing them from the list.
Thanks for the guidance. I've not yet added anyone to my ignore list, but was hoping that a more granular automated control is available. I'm a bit confused about what happens when a post is blocked, though. Is a placeholder inserted in the thread that gives the option of viewing the blocked user's entry - or can it only be viewed from the "ignore" list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
The problem with blocking these guys is that it doesn't stop them from preying on the other people here. These people need to be called out and banned from the forum.
True, but I'm not sure that it's an either/or choice. For example, the "Ignore" feature can be used while waiting for the admins to ban a user. It can also be used to block people who are not scammers, but have a track-record of being unreasonably impatient or difficult to work with.
Last edited by modestmagi; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
How about if someone starts a " I BLOCKED THIS MEMBER AND WHY LIST" Would it be so horible if these guys who constantly abuse other member go on that list. HUMM maybe it would help out folks like myself who was scammed out of 650.00 with no hopes of recovery. Then the mods can make it a STICKY so new members would be able to see it right off when going into the classified threads. Maybe the mods can even add the disclamer to the classified section and sy somehting lijke before searching for or buying items from RCG members please look at the blocked by other users, users list for your convieniance.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,880 Posts
Trader Rating: 382
Thanks Tim as I did not even notice the view post option.

I think that a blocked member cannot post in a thread created in the FS forum and hope not to be able to contact via PM nor Email.

Most the ignore blocks are for those I do not chose to trade with, some are the alledged or proven cons and a few I just don't desire.

I review my list about once every quarter as people can change.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jul 2004
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr View Post
How about if someone starts a " I BLOCKED THIS MEMBER AND WHY LIST" Would it be so horible if these guys who constantly abuse other member go on that list. HUMM maybe it would help out folks like myself who was scammed out of 650.00 with no hopes of recovery. Then the mods can make it a STICKY so new members would be able to see it right off when going into the classified threads. Maybe the mods can even add the disclamer to the classified section and sy somehting lijke before searching for or buying items from RCG members please look at the blocked by other users, users list for your convieniance.
Sorry to hear that rjstrickjr; $650.00 is a lot of money.

Limiting fraud is the idea, at least in part, behind this forum. If you have a problem with a transaction and the other party is unwilling to resolve the issue to your satisifaction, post the details in "Trader Talk," then leave the appropriate iTrader feedback. I think that if everyone did these things, iTrader and "Trader Talk" would be much more useful tools for both buyers and sellers.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmagi View Post
Sorry to hear that rjstrickjr; $650.00 is a lot of money.

Limiting fraud is the idea, at least in part, behind this forum. If you have a problem with a transaction and the other party is unwilling to resolve the issue to your satisifaction, post the details in "Trader Talk," then leave the appropriate iTrader feedback. I think that if everyone did these things, iTrader and "Trader Talk" would be much more useful tools for both buyers and sellers.
Look at Kois31 scammer. I already had a whole thread on this guy and found several other folks that were also scammed by him. Also found out that all those laws? Dont really mean a thing when your dealing with PORTA RICO!!! If it were here in the states the postal inspector would have already went to his house and served a warrent.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr