HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:32 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I wonder how many millions of people would have lived a full life if the Allies had started pre-emptive bombing of Germany when they started rearming in violation of the treaty of Versailles?
Quote:
In March 1935, under the government of Adolf Hitler, Germany violated the Treaty of Versailles by introducing compulsory military conscription in Germany and rebuilding the armed forces. This included a new Navy (Kriegsmarine), the first full armored divisions (Panzerwaffe), and an Air Force (Luftwaffe).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_...les#Violations
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I wonder how many millions of people would have lived a full life if the Allies had started pre-emptive bombing of Germany when they started rearming in violation of the treaty of Versailles?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_...les#Violations
If you are implying that Iran should be bombed as soon as it is realised that they have made a decision to build a nuclear weapon, that is pretty much what President Obama seems to be saying. Although of course there is no substantiated evidence that they have ever done so at any time in the past, or that they would ever be likely to do so in the future.

I wonder how many millions of lives would have been lost, had every country which has nuclear power for peaceful purposes, been bombed, just in case they decided to build a nuclear weapon.

By this logic, the countries which do already have nuclear weapons should be bombed first.

Dusty
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:47 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Interesting how those that felt Iran should be able to have nuclear technology for power generation are now the ones crying over possible war. My my MY!!!!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:58 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000;20953539I wonder how many millions of lives would have been lost, had every country which has nuclear power for peaceful purposes, been bombed, [I
just in case[/I] they decided to build a nuclear weapon.
"Every country" are not the terrorist sponsoring state of Iran.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:05 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000 View Post
But there are numerous IAEA inspectors based in Iran, who can turn up at any of Iran's nuclear facilities, any time they like, unannounced, and have free reign to look around. Although I'm sure the IAEA would already have a good idea of what goes on in Iran's nuclear facilities, due to their 24/7 monitoring cameras being installed there.

So, where do you suggest they should have the inspectors come in to?

Dusty
It appears not to be as you claim. They have had some sites resctricted. It looks like they are now willing to open those up to the inspectors. It seems maybe they have gotten the message and want to do what they can to avoid actions. Seems like a smart move. I hope they really mean it this time.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03...dwill-gesture/
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:06 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
There exists no objective criteria for discerning whether or not Iran decides to build nuclear weapons.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:07 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Unless of course they're doing that anyway, but the agenda is set regardless!

I think Israel is playing fast and loose - who picked up on Netanyahu's nonsensical spat at the USA for not bombing Auschwitz - we (you..) couldn't possilibly have bombed it at the time!

Say what you like about Obama - at least he thinks before he leaps into a war - GWB would have the B2's over there now!
Not at all. GWB thought long and hard about going to war and gave Iraq many, many opportunities to avoid it. They chose not to. Bad choice.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:10 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
Not at all. GWB thought long and hard about going to war and gave Iraq many, many opportunities to avoid it. They chose not to. Bad choice.
It seems to me that GWB is the ONLY figure in American history that ET is familiar with It has nothing to do with GWB's policies or anything else. If you notice, almost every SINGLE thread is redirected to mention GWB. Someone buy ET a book on George Washington or Martin Luther King............anyone...........someone.......... ....PLEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:12 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Is Israel about to kick off a chain of events that we'll all pay for ?
Israel will not allow the world to write sad and sincere and regretful obituaries for it.

There is an unmeasurable assumption here that Iran has not already kicked off a chain of events that we're already paying for, and will pay even dearly for.

The solution is not to do nothing.

The solution to this specific issue is to find a way to prevent Iran from being able to build nuclear weapons, preferably without military force.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Scotland the Brave
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
"Every country" are not the terrorist sponsoring state of Iran.
What about the terrorist sponsoring nation of the USA? If you don't consider the mujahideen to be terrorists, but would rather call them ''freedom fighters'' or whatever, what about the Contra rebels? The US was convicted of state sponsored terrorism by the world court, so by your logic, it should have been bombed. Right? Iran has not been convicted of state sponsored terrorism.

In fact, there are several countries which have been accused by other countries, of state sponsored terrorism. For example:

Quote:
According to an analysis published by Saban Center for Middle East Policy at Brookings Institution in 2008 Pakistan was the worlds 'most active' state sponsor of terrorism including aiding groups which were considered a direct threat to USA.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-sponsored_terrorism
So why not bomb Pakistan, since they already have nuclear weapons?

Dusty
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
Scotland the Brave
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
It appears not to be as you claim. They have had some sites resctricted. It looks like they are now willing to open those up to the inspectors. It seems maybe they have gotten the message and want to do what they can to avoid actions. Seems like a smart move. I hope they really mean it this time.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03...dwill-gesture/
If you read the article, you may notice that Parchin is a military facility, not a nuclear facility. Nor is there any suspicion of it being one.

Dusty
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:26 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Once they get them it's too late, but do continue your excuse-making for Iran, it's very entertaining, and serves as an illustration that constant vigilance is required by the rest of us.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:29 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
Quote:

Dusty
Academic discussions are great.

You can talk about what is fair or not, from varying points of view.

Dealing with reality is lot tougher.

The ideas that leaving Iran to its own because there's no proof they have made any decisions, yet even if they did/do make a decision, suggesting that Iran is not a threat because they've never attacked anyone, or suggesting it's only fair because others have such weapons, or suggesting it's only fair because some view Iran's opposition as the aggressors, etc., allow for the implication in the title of this thread.

Assuring Iran is incapable of nuclear weaponry, fair or not, is a pragmatic guarantee, for this specific issue, that the implication in the opening post will not happen.

The real effort and debate should be about how to accomplish that goal without bloodshed.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
If you read the article, you may notice that Parchin is a military facility, not a nuclear facility. Nor is there any suspicion of it being one.

Dusty
I read the article. Perhaps you read the adds and skipped the article.

Quote:
where the U.N. nuclear agency suspects secret atomic work has been carried out, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported Tuesday.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:50 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Anyone remember Operation Opera?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG