HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Ok made a little progress today, but took a major step back

Managed to finally hand launch my FJ ULTRA
Pots for pitch & roll set at 50% thank God I had the gain mapped to a slider, cause anything over 70% throttle cases MAJOR oscillation on roll

Figure I was just over 100mph at the 70% throttle position

Pitch was not affected, found this odd

Perfect landing in a 10-15mph headwind

2nd launch was a complete failure
Motor mount tore off

Working on getting another one up ASAP

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Try this site USBFIREWIRE That's a micro-b plug I believe and you should be able to get just what you need for easier access.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougherty, Erie View Post
Has anyone found a source for reasonably priced (cheap) extension to connect Guardian to laptop connector cord? One about 6" would work well for units installed in fuselage. I have installed it in an EFlite SuperCub 25 and it is a royal pain to connect the heavy, inflexible cord from ET to the G inside the cabin. Hard to get it connected without jostling the plane while setting S&L or resetting trims. Eagle Tree should look into this, or source a much more flexible alternative to the cord they are selling. I have installed G units in three planes, purchased 6 more (3 from HK @ $50!) but I am finding mount location with secure, level, accessable difficult Anyone else have this problem?
Jim D
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone found a source for reasonably priced (cheap) extension to connect Guardian to laptop connector cord? One about 6" would work well for units installed in fuselage. I have installed it in an EFlite SuperCub 25 and it is a royal pain to connect the heavy, inflexible cord from ET to the G inside the cabin. Hard to get it connected without jostling the plane while setting S&L or resetting trims. Eagle Tree should look into this, or source a much more flexible alternative to the cord they are selling. I have installed G units in three planes, purchased 6 more (3 from HK @ $50!) but I am finding mount location with secure, level, accessable difficult Anyone else have this problem?
Jim D
Try here: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=26
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2010
59 Posts
Guardian availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Guardians are back ordered pretty much everywhere. HK had some a month or more ago but sold out in about a day. Did they indicate yours was back ordered? If so, I'm pretty sure they haven't received another allotment yet. Otherwise, my only order from HK took 2-3 weeks, which is what they told me.
Hi CC22,

Thanks for the info. I just got back a note from HK saying it is backordered and will be 2-6 weeks more....probably means they don't really know.

They didn't indicate a back order on 03 Sept when I placed the order.

My choices are:
1. wait.....
2. get store credit

I am waiting.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
LakeTahoeJim is offline Find More Posts by LakeTahoeJim
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

Pots for pitch & roll set at 50% thank God I had the gain mapped to a slider, cause anything over 70% throttle cases MAJOR oscillation on roll

Motor mount tore off

Have Fun,

FCA
One axis will always oscillate first. Dial down the roll gain enough and raise the gain slider and eventually the pitch axis will oscillate. On my plane, I had to crank roll an yaw way down to get pitch to oscillate.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
A UK shop has just recieved more stock http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/eagl...d-p-20279.html
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

Motor mount tore off

Have Fun,

FCA
When it comes to fast heavy funjets I seem to find more examples of pilots using some type of launcher on youtube. The exceptions being the super powerful that can be hand launched vertically. The launchers tend to be bungee types.

For my own FUnjet, I took the route of Jurgen Heilig, and his pursuit of a lightweight and highly manueverable Funjet. Here is a video of him flying his vectored Funjet at night.

JetPower 2012 - FunJet at Night (3 min 7 sec)

His builds dot the internet if you do a search for "Lightweight Funjet".

Then there are the examples of vector and gyros by other pilots...

Vectror Funjet hovering with gyros (2 min 46 sec)

If you go lightweight you should experience the same performance (vector unit though has been out of production since 2009 - but you might score one used). With the Guardian on board it will be light years ahead of any single axis gyro, and hand launching will be no issue. Just something to consider for your next build.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 16, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:27 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Was having fun tonight testing another Guardian 2D/3D unit in my 26-inch flat foamy. The wind was high so I thought it will be fun flying in 3D and set to Heading Hold submode.
Guardian 2D-3D in 3D Heading Hold (4 min 19 sec)
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
USA, TX, Aubrey
Joined Nov 2005
14 Posts
Removed
jdd1 is offline Find More Posts by jdd1
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,016 Posts
Quote:
Jim D
I haven't had that problem but I have a couple of these for other purposes. They might work for you.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Futaba 6ex setup

Just tried the Guardian in my PZ T28, works great. I am using a Futaba 6ex (probably the only Futaba guy on this blog) has anyone tried to set this unit up on the Futaba? Since I have only two position switches I have 2D/3D setup on the retract switch which means no on/off or gain. Any ideas or is it time to buy a 8FG?

Thx,
Jim
jimschroed is online now Find More Posts by jimschroed
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschroed View Post
Just tried the Guardian in my PZ T28, works great. I am using a Futaba 6ex (probably the only Futaba guy on this blog) has anyone tried to set this unit up on the Futaba? Since I have only two position switches I have 2D/3D setup on the retract switch which means no on/off or gain. Any ideas or is it time to buy a 8FG?

Thx,
Jim
Just slave a third switch to 2D-3D switch and set the trims for one direction to be off. That's what I did on my DX6i.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
302 Posts
Quote:

Thx,
Jim
Jim - I have a Hitec Aurora 9 TX so can't help much there, but Prof's suggestion sounds like the solution without replacing a radio. I fly the PZ T-28 without needing to put the gain master on my TX so that eliminates having to deal with it. I've found just setting the pot gains about mid point works perfectly. Then I just use a 3 way switch for the Off/2D/3D modes. Makes for a fairly simple & stressless approach with the Trojan. Its been my test bed for the Guardian & I decided I like it so much in that plane that I'm going to have to order more so I can just leave it in the T-28. Good luck with it.

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Thx for the input

I went back tried the Prof's setup using the flap switch in conjunction with the retract switch and then mixing the two. Works well. I can turn it on or off from either 2D or 3D but not both. It depends on how I map the switch mix. Thanks for speedy feedback.

Jim
jimschroed is online now Find More Posts by jimschroed
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:10 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,016 Posts
Quote:
I went back tried the Prof's setup using the flap switch in conjunction with the retract switch and then mixing the two. Works well. I can turn it on or off from either 2D or 3D but not both. It depends on how I map the switch mix. Thanks for speedy feedback.

Jim
If you have a channel associated with that second switch, there is another way to skin the cat. Connect the gain to the second channel and set the travel so one position gives the gain you want and the other gives zero gain. Then you can turn it "off" from either mode. It isn't really off of course, but with the gain at zero it will behave that way.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22