SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:21 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
386 Posts
I have been using O.S. 50sx ringed engines with a weight of 15lbs 10oz. Flies scale with this power. Tom Wolfe used the same engines with his weighing around 17-18 lbs but it was very underpowered. Will be changing mine to Saito .82's for a bit more umph up here at 3000'. The .50's were fine at sea level and are ok now, just like to have a bit more power.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:53 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
165 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Rod what size D is the carbon tube?
A cheaper way to get carbon tubes is from hunting arrows if you guys have them there down under?
I would have said something earlier but thought you were getting a larger size.

Never the less great work

Bruce
Bruce - the main tube is 7/8" dia. and the second tube is 16 mm (slightly larger than .5 ") It is critical that the tubes be set at the correct dihedral in each wing.
There is a second (tight fitting) inner sleeve that goes between the two wings locking at the correct dihedral and gives added strength to the root.

The plane can then complete severe turns without the wings collapsing

So the golf club would not have been useful, but a good idea and I shall remember it
All best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:57 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
I have been using O.S. 50sx ringed engines with a weight of 15lbs 10oz. Flies scale with this power. Tom Wolfe used the same engines with his weighing around 17-18 lbs but it was very underpowered. Will be changing mine to Saito .82's for a bit more umph up here at 3000'. The .50's were fine at sea level and are ok now, just like to have a bit more power.

Rob
Thanks Rob, I will start looking around to see what motors are around and checking the weight of the parts I have made.

Many thanks and all the bet Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Aug 27, 2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:58 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
165 Posts
Mossie wing rebuild

Hi guys, continued on with the second wing rebuild, still no gluing yet.
Have completed the carbon rod insert and started the cabling tubes and finished all the between ribs supports. A few photos show the current progress. To-morrow I will make the first cable tube and install.

All best Rod
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:51 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
165 Posts
Mossie wing rebuild

Hi Guys, continued on and reached the point to start GLUING. Yep that time.
Obviously this time, very very carefully and lots of checking, particularly R6 is at 5 deg.
I also received the the wing tubes from Air sails (Thanks Graham, they are fantastic) The total weight is 115 gram. (4.05 oz)

The photos show the progress.

A question, I have noticed that many Mossie models use a two blade prop. But the Mossie used a three blade prop. After the beautiful building to replicate an original, why use a two blade???
I have been told that a three blade will require a larger motor !! Your thoughts are always appreciated.

All best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Aug 29, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:28 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Yes, to turn a similar sized 3 blade prop will require a much larger engine and associated weight penalties. A bigger 2 blade prop with painted tips looks pretty cool once the motors are running, giving you that nice big circle.

On the tubes, if you judge they are too tight in the socket, you can carefully sand the carbon tube with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper used wet (Must be used wet as the carbon dust is as bad as asbestos) until its a snug but easily moveable fit. Try not to make it over loose as it may wear down slightly over time with vibration.

Keep up the good work, Graham
grahamj4 is online now Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

Rob
Hi Rob:

Just to add a little to what you said about power. While my plane does weigh 18 pounds, I've been flying it for 8 years with the .50 SX ringed engines, and I'm very happy with the performance. I usually fly around at 3/4 throttle, and only go to full throttle when I need to do something involving a climbing maneuver, or if I want to do a particularly fast pass. Granted, I do most of my flying closer to sea level. If I was at 3000+ MSL and had to fly on hot days, then I would not have as much power margin. But I certainly never felt it was "very underpowered". I have always been able to do a very scale-like flight routine when competing with this plane; good enough to finish 2nd in Expert at the 2011 US Scale Masters Championships.

I've been flying this plane for over 20 years; the first 12 years were with a pair of O.S. .46 SF engines. With those engines, it was full power most of the time, but even with those engines I never felt it was underpowered. I guess that what is considered the right amount of power is in the eye of the beholder. Of course, if you put bigger engines in, there is nothing that says you have to go to full throttle. And bigger engines do have the benefit of putting more weight forward to help achieve the proper CG location. Which is probably better than simply putting lead in the nose (of which I have 24 ounces)

Here is a clip showing a pass down the runway with a gentle, scale-like climbing turn at the far end of the field. (O.S. .50 SX engines):

Tom Wolf's DH Mosquito: Fast fly-by (0 min 25 sec)

Regards,
Tom
TRWolf is online now Find More Posts by TRWolf
Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
165 Posts
Mossie wing Rebuild

Thanks guys for all the information on motors as when I go to the local shop I can listen to they say then agree or disagree. Much better to go with knowledge than not, I can argue with them but one thing is obvious from all your information, I must know the final weight of the plane.

I made significant progress and finished the major gluing, checked everything for level and started the top sheeting.

The next part is to build the drill jig for the carbon tubes. This jig must hold each Wing section at 5 deg and have the main spar exactly at "right angle" and have two drill locations exactly parallel to each other and with the main spar. So that the inner sleeves aline correctly or I will not be able to slide the wings together.

That way when I locate the tubes into the wing sections and join the sections, they will align along the main spar: and be parallel with the center line of fuselage: and have a combined dihedral of 10 deg

That why I have left the final wing section R1 unglued with its parallel location feet in tact. These will be very useful.

All best and many thanks for all the comments Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Yesterday at 02:59 AM.