HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Ok I read posts 1 through 6 and my question isn't covered. Here it is ... how does this camera compare with the #16 camera? I know this thread is all about the #16 camera but there is soooooo much info here that I'd just like a simple honest opinion as to which is better and why?

Thanks!

Colin

I can't expect an unbiased response but I'll take my chances!
What do you consider important to you in your definition of "better"? Pricewise, they are in the same ball park. Size/feature-wise, the HK camera is out in left field by comparison. Video quality-wise, you'll need to make that call since everyone sees videos differently. There's a lot of videos of the #16 posted in this thread to look at, many recent ones demonstration what the latest #16 user-controlled video image tweaks can do. And there's a number of videos in that HK web page for that camera if you click on the "videos" link at the bottom. Compare them and then decide which you like best.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Aug 2005
409 Posts
after not flying anything for almost a year, finally put my thumbs back on a tx. just sharing my first time ever to fly a multirotor, glad a flying buddy trusted me to fly his.

#16 used on the multi, pardon the vibes, the cam was just mounted using good ole' double-backed tape

Keychain Cams and Multirotors @ Doers Flying Field (2 min 28 sec)
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Ok I read posts 1 through 6 and my question isn't covered. Here it is ... how does this camera compare with the #16 camera? I know this thread is all about the #16 camera but there is soooooo much info here that I'd just like a simple honest opinion as to which is better and why?

Thanks!

Colin

I can't make head or tail what Fishy's trying to tell you or not tell you (nothing new here ), but in addition to what Tom has mentioned, the HK camera is almost twice as heavy as the #16, and it doesn't even have a case! From the pictures, the HK cables seem to be designed for plugging into a TV and not for fpv use, if that's what you want to use it for. The #16 also comes with a choice of three different lenses whereas the HK comes with a wide-angle lens. That is most probably fine for fpv use.

I don't have this camera, but I would think that being partially sealed with heat shrink tubing is more of a disadvantage than an advantage, but that also depends on what it will be used for. You can obviously also wrap the #16 in heat shrink tubing if you wish and it will even be lighter. Support and an active forum for the #16 is excellent+.

I've tried to be honest and not give a biased opinion, but the #16 is such an excellent camera for the price that it's almost impossible to beat You can tweak it in sooo many ways.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:35 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
After using 3 weeks my v2, the battery can record just 20-30 seconds. The charging time is about 5 minutes.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
After using 3 weeks my v2, the battery can record just 20-30 seconds. The charging time is about 5 minutes.
Batteries are batteries are batteries! Try charging the battery for 2.5 hours, even if the green LED goes out, which of course it shouldn't. My V1 batteries, some of which are from last year, still run about 25-35 mins. I don't know how you use or charge your batteries, but I have often neglected mine and left them charging over 24 hours or left them a day or two in the discharged state. More often than not I use my cameras with a very reliable external USB power source.

You may have received a bad battery or your external power supply or cables are bad. If possible, try and charge the battery with an external battery charger or another camera to make sure there's nothing wrong with the camera's charging circuitry.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!

Colin

wollins.

do not know why ISoprop is jjumping in when he does not own one.

I own this camera. It is RD32 with no casing. It has a larger battery, last 2.5 hrs. The charging does not turn off, and must be watched. the lens is the same as the lens D of the KC808.

The camera Igot from HK is a dud. I c annot get the time stamp off, IfI give this to ISOPROP, he is Smart, he can get it off, yet its a defective model that works as described.

The video quality Tom Frank said early on in the post is to many pages back said the quality is not to his liking. The quality is sharper, brighter, but not in Low level lighting.

I use the KC808 more, while my cam sits.

I di not waste 45.00 I wasted dealing with Hobbyking not backing up the product.

I go for a trusted KC, vs something HK grabbed a Gross of and pushing off as whatever you like to call it.

the vibrator will slip out, the mic will slip out. other than that I am not complaining I am offering what is called an opinion enjoy
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Have you a triclkle charger? Have you ordered a new battery. Have you used a different cable and ac outlet vs a pc/mac

Lipo's are cautious to play with and leaving unattended enjoy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
wollins.

I jumped in because your initial post was your usual gibberish which no one could understand. Your second post is much more meaningful and you replied to the original question in a way that most people can sort-of understand. I don't understand what you mean by "defective model that works as described.", but I guess it's not too important. Please only post what others can understand.
People keep asking you and asking you and asking you.....
Last edited by Isoprop; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
Quote:
I had a similar problem and it was my SD card. I changed out the card to a class 4 and the camera would work.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
I always like to see video.

Here is a little segment I shot with the new 808 #16D lens straight out of the mail without updating the firmware.

I got my 808 #16D V2 camera from http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365

At about 5:08 in the video I show part of the same flight with an 808 #16 with the standard lens.

Both cameras are side by side Velcroed to the top of the wing on one of my 18 oz Albatross slow flyers. Having the cameras out on the wing rather than on the fuse does help to stabilize the video.

Later at 3:33 in the video I show a little video off of a Storm Chaser that has a high power motor on it and a great vertical climb. The 808 #16D camera is on the nose of the plane very close to the prop. I did not put any shock absorber under the cameras. I am sure I could greatly reduce the jello if I did. On the Storm Chaser I had one slow flight speed on the prop that made the jello go crazy.

What I like with the #16D is that the wide angle lens dampens the movement. I can edit some of the instability out but I left everything as it was shot so you can see how it really looks.

Below the orange plane is the 46' 18 oz Albatross and the R/W/B plane is the 68" 5 lb Storm Chaser with the motor on a pod..

808 #16 and #16D camera comparison (7 min 35 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
wollins.

I own this camera. It is RD32 with no casing. It has a larger battery, last 2.5 hrs. The charging does not turn off, and must be watched. the lens is the same as the lens D of the KC808.

The camera Igot from HK is a dud. I c annot get the time stamp off, IfI give this to ISOPROP, he is Smart, he can get it off, yet its a defective model that works as described.
I also have a HK Wing cam, and to clarify:

The lens is similar to D but not the same. It is better IMO
The video out is via a 1/8 plug, similar to GoPro
The date can be turned off via on-screen (TV) menu, along with many other options such as motion detect.

Bad features are:
MJPEG compression of video, gives 10-15% duplicate frames even with transcend Class 10 card. Not bad for still images.
Very saturated and unstable color
Slow exposure compensation light-dark

Here's an example

Shrike Ride (2 min 16 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
I also got this cam, and my was a piece of s...t. I tried to make some outdoor videos, in a clear sunny day with some trees and grass just to check it out. The result was very bad. The clear green bacame grey and the clear sky looked like thunderskies. The worst cam I ever had. Now it doesnt work either, just a blue light that shines when i try to switch it on.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I also have a HK Wing cam, and to clarify:

The lens is similar to D but not the same. It is better IMO
The video out is via a 1/8 plug, similar to GoPro
The date can be turned off via on-screen (TV) menu, along with many other options such as motion detect.

Bad features are:
MJPEG compression of video, gives 10-15% duplicate frames even with transcend Class 10 card. Not bad for still images.
Very saturated and unstable color
Slow exposure compensation light-dark

Here's an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2b_IgmXXso
Thank you Victapilot. I had footage, but could not locate, and thanks for added info appreciated

FISHY
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,710 Posts
Wasn't trying to start a fight here guys ... just wanted some genuine feedback ... (which I got) so thank you to all who responded.

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I don't have a camera at hand to test until next week, but maybe you could edit the Nr16Setup.cfg file which will be created in the same folder as the GUI. Change SafelyRemoveDevice=1 to SafelyRemoveDevice=0.

Sorry, I'm in a big rush, wife is calling....
Hallo ISOPROR
additional information to “SafelyRemoveDevice=0“.
After you do „Write Data to Drive“, GUI terminates ?normal?. But the drive is still
connected to the usb. The drive “must” now be disconnected by hand. Than everything is OK.
If you don't do it and you try to start GUI again, for instance, it leads to another error msg.
I believe it is better to do not drive disconnection via GUI.??

regards
heribert
heribert808 is offline Find More Posts by heribert808