HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:35 AM
Saint Clair Michigan
Joined Aug 2003
200 Posts
Wind range slow stick

What is the highest wind range you have ever flow a slow stick.
MIKE ROBERGE is offline Find More Posts by MIKE ROBERGE
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:38 AM
youngstown ohio
Joined Jul 2003
74 Posts
about 10 mph with gusts, It was a handfull. Itgets tossed and turned.
tygerman is offline Find More Posts by tygerman
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:08 AM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
About 12mph. And "flying" would be a relative term for what the Slow Stick was doing.

It was fun though.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I have one flying on a 400C-F that was reinforced for my Astro brushless that weighs 30 oz and have flown it in 15 mph gusting winds with an 10 cell 1600 NiMH pack but it isn't restful! I was flying my modified Wingo in 14mph gusting winds (Airport wind speed) yesterday and that wasn't very restful either! Never have crashed either in the winds but has made for some hairy landings!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:22 AM
Saint Clair Michigan
Joined Aug 2003
200 Posts
so I am not crazy for flying in the wind

I flew today about 10mph lumpy wind, it was a handfull but vary fun. Good flight training for a new pilot. I guess you can say when the wind speed exceeds the forward flight of the plane its to windy. But its fun to land like a jump jet. Down wind speed was good.

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jul 2003
152 Posts
i just hate landing backwards lol! My field is good for that though but if i climb too high it will fly slowly backwards even if it's completely still where i land. Not good to do a banked corner into it though or a loop as it'lll flip it over.
red91sit2 is offline Find More Posts by red91sit2
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:28 PM
Saint Clair Michigan
Joined Aug 2003
200 Posts
fly inverted

come in over your field iverted and do a half loop down to a landing. Make sure you loop is not to high you will miss the landing. And make sure your loop is not to low. Well you know what happens then. Yep busted up.

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2003, 01:03 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,926 Posts
My Beaver horizontaly hovers in about 5mph winds! not much fun (but i've just got some 8cell nimh's which will hopefully make it a bit more wind proof )
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Aug 10, 2003, 01:50 PM
Profile Infraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,931 Posts
Only had 1 decent 'high wind' flight with my SS. Would of made a good vid too.

It was a big open field, so the runway had good clean air, surprisingly and also rarely, there seemed to be a sweet spot in our runway with absolutely no gusts. Take off was a short 2 to 4", it lifted off with no more forward flight and was very easy just to hold it there in front of me not even 3' away. As long as I kept it pointed into the wind, and with very small stick inputs, I could move about this 4 to 6' sweet zone anywhere I wanted.

It was a blast, never experienced anything like that again.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Aug 10, 2003, 03:15 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
When the winds get up around 10mph I usually hand-launch my slowstick and try to get upwind and as much altitude as possible. It usually involves a bit of tacking back and forth.

My battery packs (7 cell KAN950's) only last half as long, about 7-8 minutes, due to more aggressive throttle. I fly the stock EPS300C-D, 11x8 prop.

I do find that looping is a tad easier into the wind. If I fly inverted more than 20 seconds I get severe wing flutter, folded wings not good, so I roll back quickly .

In good gusts, with the Slowstick, you're definitely flying the wing, rather than the motor.

When the LVC kicks in I'll coast 'er down wind and then turn into it and flare; hopefully I'm close enough to terra-firma by then !
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Last edited by SlowRider; Aug 10, 2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 05:34 PM
Pacifica, CA
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
With all my wings reduced about 20% in size and a brushless motor I frequently fly in 15 to 20 mph winds. ( according to info provided by the NOAA in my area)
Joe Papa is offline Find More Posts by Joe Papa
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:44 AM
Syracuse, New York
Joined Jan 2003
157 Posts
I once made the mistake of flying in about 20mph winds (BIGGGGGGG mistake) and ended up cruising at about 5 mph (backwards!) into a pine tree.
Mothman Hobs is offline Find More Posts by Mothman Hobs