Closed Thread
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:16 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca323 View Post
I took my camera out today after upgrading to continuous recording & remove time release 2. I had a 4gb card in and it only did 31 minutes at 1.54gb and then shut off.

Is there anything I can do to get it to keep recording? Should I change to the stop/save/continue one?
NO, the firmware would go until the 4GB files size is reached IF your camera had enough power. If you are using the "regular" #11 camera (not the jumbo with the larger internal battery), then your recording stopped because the internal battery was exhausted. The internal battery is only good for 30-40 minutes of recording. You need external battery power to record for longer periods. This information is in the camera specs and details in post #2... you did read that first didn't you?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:53 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Check the video editing links in teh FAQs (post #3) for more info on MPcam2AVI and Vdub.

I converted a native 20 min. #11 video from .mov to .avi using the MP4camtoAvi utility to get a lossless .AVI file (took 4 secs. to convert), then importing that into Vdub, and exporting with video set for "Direct Copy", NO audio, and frame rate set to 338 fps (to get the same speedup you referenced), which took 34 sec. So about 1 minute to produce that sped-up file even with the program changes.

The playback with WMP was jerky on my PC, which has a lot of memory and a fast video card, probably because the native h.264 video codec over taxed my system playing back at the fast rate. I did not have this problem when I converted an H.264 video to a .WMV file playing at 64x normal speed with a WLMM converted file!

<edit> WHOA! I rebooted my system because it was sluggish on several tasks I had running. Now after a reboot to clean up my system, that sped-up file plays back at full speed with no pauses whatsoever! <edit>
Got your post edit. That sounds great. I will go back to the video editing faq post and....read it again!

Thanks again for the help!
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
The used space on the card looks about right for a 15 min. video, so the file may just not have been properly closed for some reason. You can try to use a file recovery utility... a number of free ones available on the internet. I use one called "recova" (Google for a download site) which works very well for deleted files. But I have not needed to use it for files which may have not been properly closed for some reason. If you try it and it works, please post back here. Good luck!
No luck with the file recovery software including "Recuva". However, I am able to recover my video file using just plain "CHKDSK /F". It convert the whole folder into a file named "100MEDIA" without any extension. I manually adding ".MOV" extension so I can double click the video file to run in the players. Few seconds at the beginning of the video isn't viewable but at least I get most of it out. Thanks Tom for pointing me around this direction.
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:58 AM
utx
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
I am now able to charge with a standard USB charger and record at once with my V2 camera! Just a small hardware modification (one 0R resistor removal) was needed: http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/hardware/...e_modification

The current camera circuit switches to mass storage or webcam mode whenever power supply appears on pin 1 of the USB connector. I plan to do more experiments and change the circuit to switch to USB mass storage or webcam mode only if USB data lines are wired to a real USB host. It is not so elegant as firmware change, but my camera would be fully charged after car ride recording aswell.

After this first step my camera never switches to USB mass storage nor webcam modes.
utx is offline Find More Posts by utx
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:09 AM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
I have been researching this little gadget and I would like to buy one to mount to my rc car and rc plane. If anyone knows where to get one that is a little bit cheaper than 40$ please pm me.
RC luva is offline Find More Posts by RC luva
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafalgarLaw View Post
No luck with the file recovery software including "Recuva". However, I am able to recover my video file using just plain "CHKDSK /F". It convert the whole folder into a file named "100MEDIA" without any extension. I manually adding ".MOV" extension so I can double click the video file to run in the players. Few seconds at the beginning of the video isn't viewable but at least I get most of it out. Thanks Tom for pointing me around this direction.
Thanks for the feedback and for finding that the simple DOS CHKDSK /F command for fixing file structure from a Command Prompt also works with external removable flash memory! Good find! I hadn't considered this since the flash memory cards have theri own dedicated controllers mounted in the cards. I'll add this tip to my FAQs links.

<EDIT>
Here is a sample Command Prompt syntax for doing this, with the flash memory card showing up on your computer as drive E:. Replace the "E" with whatever the camera drive letter is on your computer when in flash drive mode:

"chkdsk e:dcim\100media /f"

<EDIT>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 08, 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added command syntax
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:09 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC luva View Post
I have been researching this little gadget and I would like to buy one to mount to my rc car and rc plane. If anyone knows where to get one that is a little bit cheaper than 40$ please pm me.

Well if you buy cheaper version then this is not 720p, also is not #11, so don't expect quality as this one have. You can search on ebay, for 5-6$ but this has nothing to do with this topic... There is support just for #11
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:38 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC luva View Post
Back in December, before this thread started, I was quoted $36 for a #11 without charger. Most likely not the case now, but you can always try contacting them to see

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6516

Thank you for your linking our items. Of course, you can buy one camera without accessories ,it's USD 36 .

As a kind reminder,we suggest you to buy all including the accessories as below reasons:

1:It's support our company dedicated car charger.
2:The accessories cost less money for this item., just offer to you as a part.

I cherish this opportunity to do business with you. i trust you will make the best decision,any further questions ,pls feel free to contact us.Hope your busniess and reply,thank you.

Have a nice day!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
NO, the firmware would go until the 4GB files size is reached IF your camera had enough power. If you are using the "regular" #11 camera (not the jumbo with the larger internal battery), then your recording stopped because the internal battery was exhausted. The internal battery is only good for 30-40 minutes of recording. You need external battery power to record for longer periods. This information is in the camera specs and details in post #2... you did read that first didn't you?
I did go through the external battery options in the thread, but the seller told me the camera would go for 90 minutes not 30. I guess battery pack it is.
ca323 is offline Find More Posts by ca323
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:03 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
OK, got my camera today!

First thing I did was a test recording. I only have an old 64 mb card so I only got a very short video, but I got a video!

Plugged the camera to my computer and it mounted perfectly. I found the file and played it in both Quicktime and VLC. It was basically a set if stills and sound but I put that down to an old (and slow) card and my crappy iBook. Will try a faster and bigger card soon and play it on my MUCH faster PC.

My cam has the time stamp so I will do the FW flash but I have some questions:

Tom states in the instructions:

Quote:
1. Copy the appropriate firmware file (FW96630A.bin) to the camera's flash card root directory (the one that first appears when the card is recognized by the computer).
Am I supposed to see a ".bin" file in the root directory of the card if I formatted the card in the camera?

If I mount the camera on my mac I see two folders: "DCIM" and "MISC". Is the ".bin" file supposed to be in one of those two or should it be next to them?

When flashing is done, should the ".bin" file be left on the card or can it be deleted?

Also, and Im sorry if this have been covered already, how does the charge light work on these? Will it go out when charging is finished?

Cheers!
/Fred
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utx View Post
I am now able to charge with a standard USB charger and record at once with my V2 camera! Just a small hardware modification (one 0R resistor removal) was needed: http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/hardware/...e_modification

The current camera circuit switches to mass storage or webcam mode whenever power supply appears on pin 1 of the USB connector. I plan to do more experiments and change the circuit to switch to USB mass storage or webcam mode only if USB data lines are wired to a real USB host. It is not so elegant as firmware change, but my camera would be fully charged after car ride recording aswell.

After this first step my camera never switches to USB mass storage nor webcam modes.
I think this is very interesting! I checked out your site and Im waiting for you to do some more finds on this matter. Please keep us updated!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quick question... I've had my #11 for some time now but haven't used it much. It's been sitting unused for over a month at least. The last time I used it it worked fine, but now it seems the battery may be dead. I've charged it up, set it recording a clip, and it died in about two minutes. (Saved the file properly, end of file has the buzzing at 1 second intervals like when the battery gets low) I charged it up again, then tested the voltage, it was back up to 4.2V as normal. I started another clip, and it died in a few minutes again. I checked the voltage then, and it showed 4.11V, so without charging it, I started another recording and checked the voltage with it running. I watched the voltage drop from 4.11 down to 3.7 in about 15 seconds. Is it safe to assume the lipo cell itself has died and that replacing it will let me use the camera again? I've got some broken #8s and #3s that should have good batteries, can I use one of those?
KeithLuneau is online now Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:48 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Keith,

To me it sounds like the battery is a goner. Thing is with the LiPos that they dont like to be stored at full capacity. One should store them at about 3,7 V/cell and since the #11 uses only one cell this is the voltage one should aim for.

Also LiPos are sensitive to deep discharge and overcharge. Im not 100% sure but I think the voltage are 3.4 V and 4.2 V. 3.3 V and 4.3V could kill the batt.

When LiPos are used in these applications it very hard to have control over the voltage but when using LiPos in RC-stuff there are a lot of different products for this.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
It probably was stored at full charge... I usually do a store charge on my R/C lipos, just never put much thought into this little camera one.

For anyone else wondering, the #3 lipo looks identical to the one in my #11, even the number on it was the same. The broken #3 has been sitting around over a year, the pack measured 3.8V. I soldered it in, and recorded about 5 minutes with it like it was, and it wasn't dead yet, so that's a good sign. I'm charging it now, will test later and report!
KeithLuneau is online now Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Hi Fred,

Comments in GREEN below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
OK, got my camera today!

First thing I did was a test recording. I only have an old 64 mb card so I only got a very short video, but I got a video!

Plugged the camera to my computer and it mounted perfectly. I found the file and played it in both Quicktime and VLC. It was basically a set if stills and sound but I put that down to an old (and slow) card and my crappy iBook. Will try a faster and bigger card soon and play it on my MUCH faster PC.

My cam has the time stamp so I will do the FW flash but I have some questions:

Tom states in the instructions:

Am I supposed to see a ".bin" file in the root directory of the card if I formatted the card in the camera?
It doesn't matter where you format the card. You will not see a .BIN file until you copy one to the card yourself.

If I mount the camera on my mac I see two folders: "DCIM" and "MISC". Is the ".bin" file supposed to be in one of those two or should it be next to them?
It should be next to them. The root directory is the first one that opens when you click on the camera icon.

When flashing is done, should the ".bin" file be left on the card or can it be deleted?
You must not have read the instructions fully or have forgotten the procedure. Go back and read the instructions for flashing in new firmware. This question is clearly answered there.

Also, and Im sorry if this have been covered already, how does the charge light work on these? Will it go out when charging is finished?
Yes, it has been asked and answered before, but this is a self-help thread. Go to post #3 FAQs and you will find the answer.

Cheers!
/Fred
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 27, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Closed Thread