HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:51 PM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
Discussion
Just got my first heli

Well first time posting here. You are the ones that help me make my choose to get into this. I just got myself syma s107 I love it. I just wanted to tell a little story. I was at the mall and a guy was selling something the same as the s107 but for like 65 bucks onsale. I said i just bought one for 30 bucks made by syma he gave me a long talk about how it will break yada yada.... They where made by yiboo are they the same as syma?

Anyways i have notice acouple things with my s107. When i turn it on and i give it full throttle it just shuts off. I then shut it off turn in back on once or twice then it finally works. If i crash it it some times shuts off as well. and i have to turn it on and off a couple times till the green blink light inside stays on intead of blinking. Any thoughts on this?
THanks
Mike
themlruts is offline Find More Posts by themlruts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:21 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
Quote:
They where made by yiboo are they the same as syma?
Well not exactly 'the same'. When was a knockoff ever priced over twice the original?

We never heard any of these problems with the initial run of 107s. The worst thing they did was the B rotor came loose from the shaft. But coincident with them becoming wildly popular--or coincident with another event like a change in battery vendor--we are now hearing problems similar to yours, relating to power/battery.

Not sure why you would use full throttle. I never have. There is a low voltage cutoff, and full throttle plus these new questionable batteries may be shutting down.

Most of the first runs have flown for months without incident. So the problem is not a characteristic of the design, it must be characteristic of components which have been substituted in later runs. It may be necessary to replace the battery. That's probably a cheaper and better resolution than trying to send it back to a Chinese seller.

Sorry for the difficulties, but back when we were saying "it's trouble free", it was.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:41 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Sounds like you're not giving the heli time to set itself up and initialise the gyro. Turn on the Tx, put the heli on a level surface and switch it on - keeping it level. The back of the circuit board will flash a few time then stop. The heli has now 'read' it's position and set the gyro.

From then you should be able to use the throttle fully - but as Arbi says you shouldn't need full throttle; on a fresh charge it will climb fast and if you need full throttle later on to maintain height then it's time to land and give the battery a rest.

I believe the heli does shut off in a hard bump and you just re-start it again. Good safeguard.

Glad you're enjoying your S107. I love seeing the look on friend's faces when they see it fly for the first time - they're expecting an uncontrollable 'toy' and they're amazed when it lifts off smoothly and sits there in a rock-steady hover
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:07 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Additionally, the s107 and many other gyro birds use the gyro as a shock sensor, and shut down if jarred. It's a safety feature, I think, to prevent damage.

If you don't turn on the Tx first, and work the throttle once BEFORE turning ON the copter, you can have those exact issues. It's the luck of a draw otherwise, as indicated.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
so it looks like i am not giving it enought time and i was holding it while letting it get ready so it was moving. I will turn it on and place level see how it works.
I have also done some mods on pulling the weights out but not really pleased with the result so i put them back in. I was wondering as anyone played with the pitch of the tail roter? I was thinkg if you can make it tilt the plan more you you could get it going faster
Thanks
Mike
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Yes and no.
The tail rotor is at optimum, at vertical.

Yes, more nose weight will give faster forward. flight.
And no, having the tail rotor lean forward will not make a difference, at least not a positive one:
The idea is to tilt the rotor shaft forward, so the main rotors give the forward thrust. The tail on a 3-channel gives no forward movement, it only tilts the machine out of a hovering state, so it slides forward on its air column.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
i was not thinking of wieght really i was thinking maby bigger rotor or the rotor pitch it self not the pitching the motor. Like using a differt rotor so it makes more lift so it will tillt the heli more. its just thought
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
There's a happy point in the design, and stock is really it.
you can experiment with what the
flybar does if you have too much tilt, just hold the copter and spin it up, then try to lean it...blade strikes...in the air, they become "Death Rolls".
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
Out of there mind. http://www.ujtoys.com/index.php?page...hk=1&Itemid=53
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:45 AM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
so thanks for the gyro thing works perfect now. Anythought i need to order 3 more of these babies. Where i got mine they have no more left. THoughts on places here in the us?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themlruts View Post
Again, you're looking at this with used-to-it-eyes.

The rest of the planet is just now getting to see this thing, and it's got a "new item premium" in America for now. The seller's address is in Houston, so...

Rather than wince at the price, smile that you're one of the few in the know, who can get or have gotten one much cheaper.

Once the rest of the toy market here has them to offer, we'll see those prices drop like a rock.

For now, I wouldn't think it would be a waste of time to try an email-haggle job with with some of them here to get a lower price.