HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagecatcher View Post
Just installed my DOSD+2 but I cannot get pwm4 to work. I have not done any menu changes, using a Futaba 7C. All other Tx inputs work. I have a FY30A...if I did get it to work would you plug it into it or straight off the Osd??
(side note: I did have the ppm plug back the front initially...opps)
Have you verified your PPM inputs and outputs are assigned correctly? Can you post a screen shot showing your channel assignments?

There's really a couple of ways of using the FY30. If you place it between the PWM outputs and your servos it will act independent of the DOSD and work to 'balance' things out based on the gain it has set. If you connect the FY-30 to the DOSD via an Arduino Pro Mini board and the Virgis/Webe firmware it'll integrate with the DOSD.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
No, you are not right (nice way of saying WRONG). The step gains determine how aggressive these changes are...low gain and the response is mild, high gain and it'll be aggressive.

Where the IMU comes into play in maximum attitude changes. If limit the roll attitude to, say 30, and have an IMU, and the DOSD tries to roll to, say 45 degrees in an AP turn, the 30 degree limit comes into play and will limit the angle to 30.
Thanks Van,
I meaned ROT/RIC Limits not step gains, which their default values are 30 and 10.

I thing they are different then step gains. I am curious if they are related with IMU or not.

Thanks again
Firat
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
502 Posts
Hi

After some 4 months I managed to put my DOSV2+ArduIMUV2 working

I have some questions that I cannot find answer:
1- Is ArduIMU used also has flight stabilizer when connected to DOSD? (it has 6DOF sensors)

2- I have a Corona Rx 8ch 35MHz RP8D1 and it's direct PPM output works flawlessly with MultiWii (buffered) project, but Dragon OSD cannot recognize it at all (buffer or no buffer). I think this is a code problem and not hardware. Is this a known issue?

3- To solve problem number 2 I bought DIYDrone PPM encoder and it works. The issue about PPM encoder is that if I connect Rx+DOSD+Encoder at the same time, PPM encoder does not work.
If I connect Rx+DOSD and 2 seconds later the PPM encoder then it works. I see that DOSD reboots when I connect PPM encoder and recognizes the 8 channel in PPM.

4- The magnetometer used in DOSD is very expensive. Can HMC5883L be used instead?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMC5883L-Tri...#ht_500wt_1361

5- Can we use the CRIUS Board (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551599) instead of ArduIMU for artificial horizon and also all it's sensors has flight stabilizer (gyro+acc+mag+baro), for controlling the servos from DOSD? (this saves a lot of wire spaghetti)

I would love if item 5 would be possible because with 2 boards we would have the best OSD around + a great flight stabilizer + the possibility to add further sensors (sonar, airspeed, etc..)
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Last edited by flyboygaac; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:33 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
Hi

After some 4 months I managed to put my DOSV2+ArduIMUV2 working

I have some questions that I cannot find answer:
1- Is ArduIMU used also has flight stabilizer when connected to DOSD? (it has 6DOF sensors)
ArduIMU V2 works as a flight stabilizer IF you have the gain set above 0 in the DOSD menu. There are two stabilization gains...one for the GPS stab, one for the IMU stab. You can turn the IMU stab on/off with a gain switch if you select it in the PPM input.

Quote:
2- I have a Corona Rx 8ch 35MHz RP8D1 and it's direct PPM output works flawlessly with MultiWii (buffered) project, but Dragon OSD cannot recognize it at all (buffer or no buffer). I think this is a code problem and not hardware. Is this a known issue?
I can't provide much help here. There is info on building a PPM buffer in the DOSD V2 manual...have you looked at that?

Quote:
3- To solve problem number 2 I bought DIYDrone PPM encoder and it works. The issue about PPM encoder is that if I connect Rx+DOSD+Encoder at the same time, PPM encoder does not work.
If I connect Rx+DOSD and 2 seconds later the PPM encoder then it works. I see that DOSD reboots when I connect PPM encoder and recognizes the 8 channel in PPM.
I'm lost. The PPM encoder goes between the Rx and the DOSD. How do you connect the Rx and DOSD then 2 seconds later connect the encoder??? I used the DIYDrones encoder with my DOSD and Spektrum receiver. It worked perfectly for me placed between the Rx and DOSD. Never had/saw/heard of an issue like you describe.

Quote:
4- The magnetometer used in DOSD is very expensive. Can HMC5883L be used instead?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMC5883L-Tri...#ht_500wt_1361
I believe the only mag sensor that currently interfaces with the DOSD is the one called out in the manual...or was it in the support forum? Either way, I believe the tilt compensated mag sensor is the only one that works.
Quote:
5- Can we use the CRIUS Board (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551599) instead of ArduIMU for artificial horizon and also all it's sensors has flight stabilizer (gyro+acc+mag+baro), for controlling the servos from DOSD? (this saves a lot of wire spaghetti)

I would love if item 5 would be possible because with 2 boards we would have the best OSD around + a great flight stabilizer + the possibility to add further sensors (sonar, airspeed, etc..)
No, at least not at this time. Dragon Labs is working on an interface board that will allow use of 4 or 5 other IMUs...I don't recall seeing the one you linked as part of that group.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
Thanks Van,
I meaned ROT/RIC Limits not step gains, which their default values are 30 and 10.

I thing they are different then step gains. I am curious if they are related with IMU or not.

Thanks again
Firat
Yes, the Limits require use of an IMU to be functional.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
502 Posts
Wow thank you for the fast and complete answer.
I just add some further explanations:

1- Didn't knew that. Will study that subject.

2- I've used buffer and non buffered connection between Rx (RP8D1 latest revision) and DOSD and does not work. Also tried other identical Rx and same thing happened.
Same Rx connected to MultiWii work flawlessly. (I've search foruns and google and no answer)

3- I have DOSD powered by the current sensor (3S battery) (jumper ON DOSD).
I have Rx connected to UBEC 5v.
I connect DOSD (current sensor) and Rx to UBEC.
PPM encoder is connected to DOSD by a cable but is disconnected from the Rx
After all is on I connect PPM encoder to RX (I have a plug that connects all signals and (+) and (-))
DOSD automatically reboots and recognizes the 8 channels.
If all is connected at the beginning when I power all on, DOS does not recognizes PPM input.
(PPM encoder was bought some weeks ago so it should have latest firmware. All DOSD and ArduIMU have latest firmware from DOSD website)

4- I thought so... too bad

5- Great news. CRIUS advantage is for having good quality, 10DOF, integrated Arduino and its cheap.
I've tried sensor boards', Arduino, and some other IMU and this one is getting me satisfied and my pocket less empty
Do you have any link for this work in progress?
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
5- Great news. CRIUS advantage is for having good quality, 10DOF, integrated Arduino and its cheap.
I've tried sensor boards', Arduino, and some other IMU and this one is getting me satisfied and my pocket less empty
Do you have any link for this work in progress?
Nope. JMSTech posted earlier on this thread that an interface board is in the works...that's all I know. Here's some of the IMUs that should be supported...again...the one you linked IS NOT on the list. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14125
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Jan 11, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
alright i recived my DOSD programmer... but im lost. i have read the section in the manual about connecting to PC. but it doesnt say what goes where...

DOSD has:

TX
RX
GND
3V3
MCLR

programmer has:

RST
3V3
5V
TXD
RXD
GND

im assuming that it goes like this?

DOSD-USB
TX - TXD
RX - RXD
GND - GND
3V3 - 3V3
MCLR - RST?

is this the right connections?

i just have a fear of damaging something
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Have you verified your PPM inputs and outputs are assigned correctly? Can you post a screen shot showing your channel assignments?

There's really a couple of ways of using the FY30. If you place it between the PWM outputs and your servos it will act independent of the DOSD and work to 'balance' things out based on the gain it has set. If you connect the FY-30 to the DOSD via an Arduino Pro Mini board and the Virgis/Webe firmware it'll integrate with the DOSD.
Thanks Vantasstic,
No I havent checked them. I couldnt sleep last night so got up and read the manual. I dont have a PC interface yet so menu / screen shots are not possible(?). Maybe by today I will dodge one up as I have an MKUSB adaptor from the Mikrokopter.
The FY I had setup like you mentioned as the 1st option but pulled it out in an effort to locate the throttle pwm4 issue. (it just goes through like any channel yes? no splitters etc)
Thanks
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
alright i recived my DOSD programmer... but im lost. i have read the section in the manual about connecting to PC. but it doesnt say what goes where...

DOSD has:

TX
RX
GND
3V3
MCLR

programmer has:

RST
3V3
5V
TXD
RXD
GND

im assuming that it goes like this?

DOSD-USB
TX - TXD
RX - RXD
GND - GND
3V3 - 3V3
MCLR - RST?

is this the right connections?

i just have a fear of damaging something
You ONLY want to connect three wires, Gnd, Tx, and Rx. You also need to power the DOSD via either the Current sensor w/jumper or a 5v+ battery on the DOSD power pins. Take a look at pages 80-81 of the DOSD V2 manual...it show's the required connections.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Jan 11, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagecatcher View Post
Thanks Vantasstic,
No I havent checked them. I couldnt sleep last night so got up and read the manual. I dont have a PC interface yet so menu / screen shots are not possible(?). Maybe by today I will dodge one up as I have an MKUSB adaptor from the Mikrokopter.
The FY I had setup like you mentioned as the 1st option but pulled it out in an effort to locate the throttle pwm4 issue. (it just goes through like any channel yes? no splitters etc)
Thanks
You only need to run the throttle through the DOSD if you want to set up AP throttle control. To do this you'll need to set your cruise speed, throttle step gain to something other than 0 (default), and the throttle mode to 2 (AP control). Also...VERY IMPORTANT...AP throttle control only works up to the actually throttle stick position; i.e. if you flip on RTH and then chop throttle the motor will stop. If you flip on RTH and have full throttle stick the DOSD will use up to full throttle to achieve/maintain the cruise speed. If you're not planning on using AP throttle control then you can just leave the throttle connected to the Rx throttle channel.

Oh yeah...failsafe. If you want the motor to keep running on any type of failsafe you'll need to program that into your Rx's failsafe settings. Again, the AP throttle control, if enabled properly, will only use UP TO the actual throttle stick position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
Vantasstic

THANK YOU
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
Vantasstic

THANK YOU
You're welcome. I edited my original post....you may not have seen the info. Pages 80-81 of the DOSD V2 manual show the connections.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
i feel really special right now because i read those pages 2 days ago.... but today i went to page 109 trying to hook it up.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
when i plug everything in to the computer it recognizes it as com 5 and i click connect and it attempts to connect but then says connection failed. what am i doing wrong? i am powering it with a 3s in the power plug on the DOSD (not the CS).