HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,259 Posts
I wonder how their EPO will look compared to Parkzone's Z-Foam?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
oooh its EPO---hobby lobby is carrying thier mustang--maybe thier p-38 next????????
Maybe I'm missing something, but you do realize EPO is the type of foam and not the manufacturer, right? Is there some indication this is made by the same people who are making the new P-51 H/L is carrying?

It looks sweet. I'd love a P-38 in this size, and I'd REALLY love one in the California Cutie scheme. Would go perfect with my Hyperion warbirds. But I'd much prefer it as a composite and built-up model. I might give it a chance if it wasn't BH, but I'm not willing to send them my money to be a guinea pig waiting for my wings to snap in half, retracts to fold up, and servos to burn out. The electronics in BH's planes (and the majority of Chinese ARF's, to be fair) are notoriously crap, and when you're dealing with a bigger foam plane with mechanical retracts like this, it just seems like it would be well worth it to invest in your own electronic gear and only buy the foam.

If they offer it as airframe only anywhere, I'll probably bite. I just love the P-38 too much.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:25 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict
Maybe I'm missing something, but you do realize EPO is the type of foam and not the manufacturer, right? Is there some indication this is made by the same people who are making the new P-51 H/L is carrying?

It looks sweet. I'd love a P-38 in this size, and I'd REALLY love one in the California Cutie scheme. Would go perfect with my Hyperion warbirds. But I'd much prefer it as a composite and built-up model. I might give it a chance if it wasn't BH, but I'm not willing to send them my money to be a guinea pig waiting for my wings to snap in half, retracts to fold up, and servos to burn out. The electronics in BH's planes (and the majority of Chinese ARF's, to be fair) are notoriously crap, and when you're dealing with a bigger foam plane with mechanical retracts like this, it just seems like it would be well worth it to invest in your own electronic gear and only buy the foam.

If they offer it as airframe only anywhere, I'll probably bite. I just love the P-38 too much.
You seem to be in the know when it comes to HL, when are they going to get the big Jug in stock?

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Hey Alan,

I honestly couldn't tell you. I thought it was going to be here by now. I'm not so much "in the know" as I am a guy who just lives close by and was given the opportunity for a little closer "behind the curtains" look a couple of times. But as far as actual availability is concerned, I don't have any info, unfortunately.

- Dave
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:30 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,911 Posts
Anyone get started on theirs yet, or got more info?

Does it have counter rotating props?

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:14 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
The electronics in BH's planes (and the majority of Chinese ARF's, to be fair) are notoriously crap, and when you're dealing with a bigger foam plane with mechanical retracts like this, it just seems like it would be well worth it to invest in your own electronic gear and only buy the foam.
I do agree with Perls statment, as I've already had a few servo issues with the new HL P-47...and replaced 3 out of 5 of the original servo's, and will replace the remaining 2 before long. The BH P-38 will probably be no different.

Now...on the website BH changed the ship date late december....oh well...something new for next year !!
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:19 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
I received a P38 in the California Cutie color scheme a few days ago. I will take some photos and post them ASAP, hopefully today. (I have been busy finishing the A10 - Photos HERE and HERE)

JPower is the manufacturer on this one, and having flown their A7, AMX and F5E, I personally would not be too quick to condemn the components. The factory power systems in all three of those EDFs were pretty darn good IMO. I am duly impressed with the A10 so far as well, though I have yet to get it in the air.

I personally don't think it is a good idea to stereotype all Chinese manufacturers and throw them into the same bag, any more then they should stereotype all Americans as loud, obnoxious and rich!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:29 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
I personally don't think it is a good idea to stereotype all Chinese manufacturers and throw them into the same bag, any more then they should stereotype all Americans as loud, obnoxious and rich!
I should have been more specific....I agree with perl "that the electronics on some of the foam aircraft have not been that good"....as I've experienced problems first hand....no matter where there manufactured.

I am still looking foward to your pictures as I plan to buy the p-38, I guess the "december shipping" was a mistake.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
Well, mine did not come from BH, so that date may still be true. I cannot say.

After I make breakfast for my daughter, I'll dig into the box and get some photos for you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Geez I need another model like a hole in the head! Please for the love of.... don't post photos!! =)
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
No NO, Please post lots photos in great detail plus a link as to where we can get one now rather than waiting on BH.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 27, 2009, 01:56 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
As promised, here are a few photos of the P-38.

I think it will go together pretty fast. I may have to dull the finish down a little though. The retracts are pre-installed and I will try to hook a receiver up to them and cycle them next. Overall, she looks pretty good. I have not ever owned/flown a model P-38 ... this will be my first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Jul 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
Anyone get started on theirs yet, or got more info?

Does it have counter rotating props?

Don
Seems like it would be simple enough to swap the wires if they didn't stock.
rtheriaque is offline Find More Posts by rtheriaque
Old Nov 27, 2009, 03:46 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
As promised, here are a few photos of the P-38.

I think it will go together pretty fast. I may have to dull the finish down a little though. The retracts are pre-installed and I will try to hook a receiver up to them and cycle them next. Overall, she looks pretty good. I have not ever owned/flown a model P-38 ... this will be my first.
BARNESJONR...Thanks for the pics. I've never flown a twin engine yet, but I see this will probably be my first.

rtheriaque...From the prop blade pics there not counter rotating.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2009, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2009
109 Posts
So... Wire swap and prop swap. No big deal. THEY'RE replaceable.
rtheriaque is offline Find More Posts by rtheriaque