HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2005, 07:13 PM
Good 'oll MA.
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
SS 300 motor problem

I have a 300 size slowstick with an ICS 300 amp speed control. Today when I was practicing flying, I found that the motor is hardly producing thrust at full. It will produce normal amounts up to a point, but not enough to takeoff. If I increase the throttle beyond this point, the motor seems to break loose from the prop - it continues to accelerate as i push the throttle, but the prop stops producing much thrust. It stops sounding the same. The motor sounds like everything is meshing properly, but once it breaks loose, it sounds like the motor is just racing but not turning anything. I have discovered that the drive shaft wiggles slightly. I can pull it out a tiny bit. I believe the i need a ne motor. Is this correct? If so, please reccomend one that I can use without changing my ESC. Thanks for any help.
Jbarth13 is offline Find More Posts by Jbarth13
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2005, 07:31 PM
Bristol, Maine
Joined Dec 2004
285 Posts
Sounds like a loose pinion gear on motor shaft?? Motor is most likely OK!
daddysard is offline Find More Posts by daddysard
Old Apr 25, 2005, 07:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
208 Posts
i aggre with daddyshard
wmrcer is offline Find More Posts by wmrcer
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:34 PM
Janesville,wisconsin
Joined Apr 2005
100 Posts
the 2 screws that held my slowstick motor in the gearbox always came loose, I'd see if those need to be tightend
radbradbb2 is offline Find More Posts by radbradbb2
Old Apr 26, 2005, 05:29 AM
Good 'oll MA.
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
So what should I try doing to fix the pinion?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:07 AM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,394 Posts
Also make sure the prop is on the right way. The side with the writing goes toward the front.
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:09 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Mar 2001
105 Posts
secure the pinion with Loctite anaerobic "glue" like the green stuff in this pic
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVY77&P=0
(best solution)
or some thin CA glue
pnikifor is offline Find More Posts by pnikifor
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:30 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,766 Posts
I think the spur gear is more likely to slip than the pinion. The splines on the shaft are small and can slip after a prop strike. To check, hold the black gear still and attempt to rotate the prop. If the shaft turns but the gear doesn't, it's the spur. If nothing turns, it's the pinion.

Ca makes a good repair on the spur if needed. First line the gears up (the spur can slide on the shaft) then remove the shaft and front bearing. Mark the spur location on the mount side and slide it toward the threads. Coat the splines and push it back on, then wipe the excess off the shaft. A drop added to the front may help too, no need to wipe it.

Be sure the glue is set before putting the front bearing back on.

Also make sure one nut is inside the prop. Nut/prop/washer/nut works, or nut/washer/prop with nut inserted.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:38 PM
Good 'oll MA.
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
I tried the ca glue fix, but it breaks often and I have to redo it. Should I just get a new spur? I am contemplating getting a new motor anyway, so I could just get the motor/gearbox combo, then reinforce it with CA before I fly. Would locktite work better than ca glue?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:30 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
yeah usually the spur gears (big black gear) strips before anything else...if if no crashes occur, have no sodt start enable really shortens the lifespan on those things...i'd replace that..but if you want to be sure what u can do is cut yourself a peice of nylon tubing to fit between the spur gear and the 1st nut that screws onto the shaft...put ur ptop and everything on, and then see if the gear is catching and NOT slipping...it its workign like you think it should, then its the spur gear, all you have to do it go to your LHS and get one and replace that..now, did all that make sense?
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Apr 27, 2005, 09:00 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,766 Posts
I've never tried locktite on the spur since the Ca holds for me even with brushless motors. It may be your spur has been reamed by the shaft too much for this too work. Replacement gears are cheap enough, but I Ca them when new or they strip quickly.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H