HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
SouthWest
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Discussion
Where to Soar in Las Vegas????

I have been itching to fly rc here, I have been flying electric planes and sailplanes for some odd years now in a different state and became pretty professional at it. I am a non-AMA flyer. Where are the places to fly? Seems there is either a full size aircraft landing, taking off or circling and in some cases all three here every 5 minutes! I am aware of the Las Vegas soaring club off towards the western part of the city, but have never actually been there.
(don't like the ground there, sharp rocks, possibly crowded etc.) It seems I would have to almost take a 30-45 min trip to the dry lake beds to the south If I wanted to take a 3-4 meter plane up? That would alteast provide a softer ground and less repairs. I have seen some people flying parkzone micro stuff at the rare parks here, and maybe a small dlg or two. I am sure there are Vegas slope soarers out there since it has some great slopes on the hills. There is an ample amount of desert / hills on the outskirts but not sure if they are privately owned land/lots or what's going on.
DriftSoarJ is offline Find More Posts by DriftSoarJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
If I were you I'd ask some of the members of the local Soaring club where they fly
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:52 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi there,

Perhaps you are over analyzing the whole situation. Try this, find some place that looks good to you. Go fly there. If no one shows up to tell you to leave, your good.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,781 Posts
Wait a minute, it's been a while since I was forced to be in the Vegas area, but as I remember it was surrounded by thousands of square miles of uninhabited wilderness (even after you discount the restricted areas where they keep the alien bodies) and you can't find a place to fly?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:33 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,910 Posts
Depending on where in Vegas you live there is a dry lake bed north east of Vegas on the Highway to Salt Lake. I used to fly R/C there as a kid. Also like you say the dry lakes south of Bolder City were a blast to fly at as you could land anywhere. The old Craig Road flying site has been gone for years and I believe covered by houses and grocery stores. The area around Vegas is covered by a TCA so altitude restrictions may play if you plan to fly in one of the parks. To the west of you, there is a dry lake at Pahrump, Nv. however that is about a 45 minute drive. I seen quite a few modellers in that area over the years but I never had the chance to fly there. Perhaps after I retire and move back to Bolder City I can enjoy that area.

Area North East of Vegas
Google Earth
Latitude: 3627'43.93"N
Longitude: 11452'30.26"W
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:45 AM
SouthWest
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Wait a minute, it's been a while since I was forced to be in the Vegas area, but as I remember it was surrounded by thousands of square miles of uninhabited wilderness (even after you discount the restricted areas where they keep the alien bodies) and you can't find a place to fly?
The flying near or over state land Red Rock and other many miles of mountain preserves was what I was concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad View Post
The area around Vegas is covered by a TCA so altitude restrictions may play if you plan to fly in one of the parks.
Are you referring to the -no flying within 3 miles from an airport above 400ft FAA RULE? True. - I fly WELL beyond the 3 miles of airport(s). And that means out of the city for sure for large gliders. PS that field looks great but too far way.

@ Bob cook - Agree with you, Yes. I am sure there are other slope soarers in vegas that can't or just don't want to use the club field because of the type of montain/hill terrain required for slopers to fly at
Thanks for the replies guys. Who knows I may get into micro dlgs if i want to catch thermals closer without wasting gas.
DriftSoarJ is offline Find More Posts by DriftSoarJ
Last edited by DriftSoarJ; Dec 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:33 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,910 Posts
Basically the 400' FAA Rule as that hole Vegas area has so much air traffic in and out of all the airports. 50 years ago I wasn't so bad however the last time I flew in to North Las Vegas was a real trip and I was on an IFR flight plan in VFR weather. Next trip I'm driving. There used to be an area off Lake Mead parkway when going over the pass at Sunrise Mt., just several miles past those red hills. But, you may have to pay to get into the park as I don't remember where that fee area starts.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:44 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,157 Posts
more info

I travel there intemittently so i'm not a 'local'.

If you go to either of the HobbyPeople stores there is printed information on local rc club flying sites and you can work that angle.

Also if you go to Google Maps for LV and choose the satellite view you will see a number of large grass soccer fields which are not always in use. You can visit these parks and i am sure during the non-primetime hours free of kids you could fly there.

I think your idea of smaller is better - ie. 2.5m electric gliders with flaps that don't need a long runway to land or DLGs - is quite doable with the park size fields there.

The rc soaring site west of town is rugged but it is what it is for local authorized glider flying and perhaps the folks there have other lesser know flying sites.

Here is a web link to a news article about the LVSoaring club and club web site.

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Dec 28, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:14 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,404 Posts
Driftsoar

look in the DS and Slope section

Noticed there were some folks from LV
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:09 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
354 Posts
There are several places to fly in parks in Las Vegas. There's a regular group that flies on most calm (weekday) mornings at All-American Park (use google earth to find it). The first ever authorized AMA Park Flyer club (the Vegas Aces, who run the annual Ace in the Hole event in LV) meets at Gibson Middle School on Saturday mornings. I'd avoid the glider field west of town unless you really need a winch launch as they're not the friendliest bunch. (the fact the president refuses to put his name and contact info on club flyers tells you pretty much all you need to know). There are two paved fields, Willie McCool and Bennett field. The people at the paved fields and the soaring club will be sure to yell at you and try to run you off if you're not an AMA member (and will probably yell at you even if you are, especially the McCool and glider field folks). The rest of us (even though most of us ARE AMA members) don't much care as long as you're polite and civil.
speakertoanimals is offline Find More Posts by speakertoanimals