HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
618 Posts
I took early morning stroll with my Drifter number #2 across the ocean today. Had mostly calm 25% throttle and had good 40 minutes flight. Spotted an oil rig and some shipping boats along the way.

ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,261 Posts
You're a brave man flying that far out over the water!
Guess a fixed plane is better than multirotor, which I would never dare to do ......
tritan is online now Find More Posts by tritan
Old Yesterday, 03:28 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
I got mine from eleptonline ebay guy, the stock 808 #16 V2 D-lens 120 degree is good enough. I use all of them on 12x fpv models direct video out. perfect!
http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline3...sub=1797717015
Great, thanks, ordered! Got the V3 instead, as I couldnt find V2.
It is powered with 5V from fx receiver and/or internal battery?

I also got a Turnigy TGY-R5180MG 180 Degree Metal Gear Analog Servo, hope this one is ok.

Updated list:
- ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo
- Drifter Ultralight EPO 950mm KIT
- Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv
- Mystery 20A Brushless Speed Controller
- HQ 7x4
- 3x EMAX ES08DE
- 808 #16 V3 D-lens 120 degree
- Turnigy TGY-R5180MG 180 Degree Metal Gear Analog
- ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (SMA)
- FrSky V8R7-II 2.4Ghz 7CH Receiver

Things to do/modify:

- remove steel weight from nose pod
- modify motor mount with zip ties

Anything else?
Last edited by tritan; Yesterday at 05:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Germany, BY, WÜ
Joined Jun 2005
122 Posts
I`d go with an external power. you don`t want to have your 808 shut off during flight. also, make sure you cramp the usb plug that goes into the 808 a little bit so that it`s a tight fit. i once lost the video due to the plug coming lose. mine is powered by the immersionrc video tx, which has 5v output.

p.s. awsome fotos, ican3d.
manhill is offline Find More Posts by manhill
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
You're a brave man flying that far out over the water!
Guess a fixed plane is better than multirotor, which I would never dare to do ......
I like flying above the sea because its not going to endanger anyone below...just bunch of waters so its safer plus no signal bounced from the ground and i get clean video transmission a miles long. You should try that once in a while.
I have both plane and multirotor both expert in its own area. Long range high altitude = plane. Short range low altitude = Multirotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Great, thanks, ordered! Got the V3 instead, as I couldnt find V2.
It is powered with 5V from fx receiver and/or internal battery?

I also got a Turnigy TGY-R5180MG 180 Degree Metal Gear Analog Servo, hope this one is ok.

Updated list:
- ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo
- Drifter Ultralight EPO 950mm KIT
- Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv
- Mystery 20A Brushless Speed Controller
- HQ 7x4
- 3x EMAX ES08DE
- 808 #16 V3 D-lens 120 degree
- Turnigy TGY-R5180MG 180 Degree Metal Gear Analog
- ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (SMA)
- FrSky V8R7-II 2.4Ghz 7CH Receiver

Things to do/modify:

- remove steel weight from nose pod
- modify motor mount with zip ties

Anything else?
Your shopping lists looks perfect, all you need is a good thumbs skills on the stick.

I recomended you mods your Frsky receiver antenna to dipole and DIY a clover lead instead of "generic" 5.8ghz type antenna because it made huge different between stock 1.5km to modded 7.5km~12km performance...like mine. You'll save more money and max happiness.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

After many flights, discussion and many video achievement I think this "small" scale FPV platform deserve its excelent FPV performer award dont you think? since it perform better than big wing gliders or oddly shaped big FPV plane, runs on cheaper and lighter hardware, small affordable lipo battery, lightweight mainframe and still able punch through the clouds miles away from base, perform longer flight time compare with weight and power ratio of bigger rival still it could fly like a cotton wool.. I love my drifter.
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Last edited by ican3d; Yesterday at 09:06 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
Your shopping lists looks perfect, all you need is a good thumbs skills on the stick.

I recomended you mods your Frsky receiver antenna to dipole and DIY a clover lead instead of "generic" 5.8ghz type antenna because it made huge different between stock 1.5km to modded 7.5km~12km performance...like mine. You'll save more money and max happiness.

Thanks ican3D for sharing your knowledge and information - do you have a link to how I can build (or buy) a Frsky dipole and a DIY clover leaf "ican special edition"? I have a Taranis-B with a X8R but have also a FrSky V8R7-II 2.4Ghz 7CH which weighs about 1/3.

1,5km and 7-12km is a huuuge difference and I would also like to fly such distances if possible. Thanks!
Last edited by tritan; Yesterday at 10:33 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,261 Posts
I have an ImmersionRC 5,8ghz 600mw but now I found this:
http://wwwdev.ladroneshop.com/en/vtx...ansmitter.html

It is much less weight but is it good enough to use (I have Dominators)?
Last edited by tritan; Yesterday at 10:48 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
I have couple of flights with stock drifter and I think it is very light airframe. Maybe too light, even with basic fpv gear and zippy 3s 2200mAh.

It floats too much and fast altitude gains are not very easy to do. There is not much elevator authority.

I have CG 72mm from leading edge, would more nose heavy be better?
Vipe83 is online now Find More Posts by Vipe83
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
526 Posts
I find mine not too light, of course i have it loaded up with equipment! mine has plenty of elevator authority and with my fy-dos stabalizer i can fly it in some pretty stiff winds no problem! Yes you may be too nose heavy if you have lack of elevator authority.
witstick is offline Find More Posts by witstick
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
526 Posts
Well just got back from flying the Drifter and let me say this.. its the best FPV plane i have had so faR. Its hard to believe but its true. I had a Twinstar, Funcub, Slowstick and this is hands down the most fun and best flying. Easy to transport and very economical on battery! If you are thinking about getting one, do it!
witstick is offline Find More Posts by witstick
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
562 Posts
Had the best Drift so far today!!
What an amazing little plane
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,261 Posts
Hmmm...

Not sure if I am going for 5,8 or 1,3 ghz ....
The next quads I build will have 1,3ghz for fpv and fun flying, I also have this new 1,3ghz Rx module for my Dominators.