HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:28 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
foamie DAW glider trimming

didn't know whether to post this in foamies or sailplanes... anyways, I just finished a DAW i-26 hlg (1.5m) today, never flown anything other than a firebird successfully, everything else crashed for me, decided it was time to LEARN how to fly, rather than buy a bunch of cool-looking planes that can't handle my flying skills (or lack...)

anyways, anyone flown one of these? any flying/trimming/setup experience that could help me have a better first experience with this plane would be MUCH appreciated....
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:15 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Opualuan -

I literally threw my arm out with one of those things.

It really does bounce.

I started by trimming it to fly straight out in front of me on repeated "test glides", then started to heave it harder and harder. I learned to level it off at the top of a toss and circle around and land. I never thermalled or sloped it but I got lot's of experience landing and controlling the plane as it came toward me.

It was a bit squirelly to adjust, never seemed to be the same day to day but that was never a really serious consideration; it kind of developed an attitude of caution on my part toward adjustments and their longevity with my later planes.

Good luck. Lot's of fun and good exercise (warm up that arm or throw it out like mine).

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:33 PM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
I have the 1-26 2 meter and LOVE IT!!!! it flies very stable, it very responsive so if your not sure turn the throws down till you get used to it. the 2 m needs above 5 mile winds up to what ever you can stand up against. It flies best over 10 mph winds and very fun.

my trim work was very easy, and it roles very well. I have a friend who can make his 2m do awsome tricks and is very acrobatic if you are, that is? I am just getting used to the rudder and have been told by others that they wish it was alittle bigger, So i made my rudder 1/2" wider and it turns very well. other that that it is a very sturdy and fun plane to fly!!

I have flown the zagi on the slope and motored and the 1-26 is far superiour to it. My friends used the bass spare and it has held well( I went with the carbon one)

good luck
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42