HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
We have all had servos fail without any reason other than they stopped working. I doubt by the inference of your post it has anything to do with the Evo 10. What is your power supply?
I am running a 5 cell nimh I changed my rudder servo with an Airtronics and it works fine. Without the engine running all the other servos are fine I am thinking the vibration did them in because I had at least 100 flights on them with the nitro motor.

Brian
bribtb is offline Find More Posts by bribtb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:00 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
681 Posts
Then certainly the battery has not overpowered them. You could be right about the nitro.....go electric..
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Yesterday, 04:28 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
681 Posts
The Evo 10 engine has been a bit of a headache to me. Some weeks it has flown OK and then the next it has been a dog. I have now had enough of it. After some fiddling with mixtures last week the same plane and engine was flying perfectly and people were commenting how good it sounded. Afterwards I did not touch a thing. This week with the same plane I had 5 dead stick landings out of 6 flights with it in a Hanger 9 Meridian today. Same fuel, everything. This week however it was back to being a dog, a different engine. I managed 4 perfect dead stick landings so I am patting myself on the back. I did some more fiddling before each of these flights but on the last flight I took off and got up about 20 m and it cut out. The engine stopping generally occurred between 5 to 6 minutes but the last one was immediately after taking off. This time I could not make it back to the runway and landed in the rough long grass. Ripped the landing gear out. Grrrrrrrrr. The Evo 10 is out of the plane and an electric motor is going in.
Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,099 Posts
Such a small gasser.... it seems not to be the most reliable thing.

I have now converted 5 glow ignition engines to CDI (continue using methanol), and apart from one mayor breakdown (engine gave in after approx 25 years), the first unintended engine stop still has to occur....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
130 Posts
It looks like you have cracks on your fuel lines or the nipple is not well fitted. I only had problems with my 10cc que there was air on the fuel feed system.
brunofporto is online now Find More Posts by brunofporto
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Aug 2008
1,017 Posts
Gassers have a tendency to frustrate those without previous gas 2 stroke experience (e.g. bikes, blowers, weed trimmers, etc.). There's a learning curve involved in their handling, care and tuning. If you go into them willing to learn them, to do stuff differently than you would when handling a glow engine, chances of you succeeding are great! Otherwise, maybe not so much.

If it's quitting, it's either getting hot or it's going lean. You cannot assume that if the engine runs great on the test stand, or even installed in a plane (that's still on the ground), that it will be ok in the air! In fact, the absolute best you can do on the ground is going to change when it gets into the air 99.9% of the time! You can also add to this the fact that big weather changes, like going from a super running engine at 70 degrees, to one that's quitting when run at 45 degrees, without compensating....
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Gassers have a tendency to frustrate those without previous gas 2 stroke experience (e.g. bikes, blowers, weed trimmers, etc.). .................. without compensating....
You are probably right. However an engine which requires constant tuning and retuning is, in my mind, unreliable and therefore no fun. Some people may enjoy the challenge and spend half their time playing with them. I do not. I tune my tools, ( brush cutters, chainsaws etc) to start and run without problems. You cannot work with a tool which requires constant tuning to run. You cannot have fun flying if the plane is constantly crashing because of an engine malfunction.
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Aug 2008
1,017 Posts
If that's the case and you tune your gasser like you tune your brush cutters, chainsaws, etc, you wouldn't be having the trouble you're having? I'd be willing to bet your tools are tuned rich. That same bet would say you're tuning your gasser maybe not so rich - OR - your gasser is overheating.

There's no difference in those motors! The carb adjustments are identical, and respond the same way.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
You are probably right. However an engine which requires constant tuning and retuning is, in my mind, unreliable and therefore no fun. Some people may enjoy the challenge and spend half their time playing with them. I do not. I tune my tools, ( brush cutters, chainsaws etc) to start and run without problems. You cannot work with a tool which requires constant tuning to run. You cannot have fun flying if the plane is constantly crashing because of an engine malfunction.
You should do what you told me in a previous post cause this is an easy engine to tune.. I hade a problem with the inline filter that HH gives you that leaked air so I tossed it.

"You could be right about the nitro.....go electric.."
bribtb is offline Find More Posts by bribtb
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
681 Posts
An Eflite Power 52 is going back into the plane now.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribtb View Post
You should do what you told me in a previous post cause this is an easy engine to tune.. I hade a problem with the inline filter that HH gives you that leaked air so I tossed it.

"You could be right about the nitro.....go electric.."
I had the same issue with the filter. It came unscrewed in flight and after I put it back together the engine didn't run so well. Took it out and put a one-piece in and solved that problem.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda