HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
Question
Noobs- What do you want to know?

I've suddenly found myself with spare time on my hands at the moment, so I decided to start a blog. Here it is: http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/

If you're a noob and just starting out in multicopters and there's something that you want explaining then post your ideas here and I'll see what I can do about writing an article, taking photos or making a video. I make no claims at being an expert and there's a lot of stuff that I don't know, but I will do my best to help out.

I'm currently putting together an article looking at what it takes to get a professional grade Octocopter in the air and also a taking a look at some of the various controllers that I own.

I'm looking forward to hearing all of you suggestions.

Cheers,

LG
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Last edited by lovegroove; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Hi, im just staring out building my first quadcopter and just put up a parts list here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742885
do you think you'd be able to tell me what you think??

thanks
Dion
dgonano is offline Find More Posts by dgonano
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
I want to know why my kk multicopter board only powers up three of the four motors at 1/4 throttle and why I have to go full throttle to get the fourth motor to power up.
liveone is offline Find More Posts by liveone
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
my email is liveone1232003@yahoo.com for any help you can give me.
liveone is offline Find More Posts by liveone
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
i'm no noob (anymore 0 but i see a lot of noobs asking the same quistions over and over again.
nice example is the above post. the so called lazy motor 4 problem with KK's.
many noobs experience this problem and others problems with KK controllers such as:
-lazy motor problem
-help my quad flips over as soon as i take off
- i can't arm my KK FC
-how do i program (calibrate) my esc's

and please do some safety topics in there to.
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonano View Post
Hi, im just staring out building my first quadcopter and just put up a parts list here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742885
do you think you'd be able to tell me what you think??

thanks
Dion
I had a look at your list before and it looks like you've chosen some good items for your first copter.

I think that another poster already mentioned it, but Multiwii/megapirate boards can be a real pain to setup for a beginner, so if you've never flown a multicopter before you won't know if it's your flying skills or a badly setup board if you have problems.

Don't let that put you off though. The learning curve may be steep but it will be worthwhile and will stand you in good stead for future builds.

Safety, Safety, Safety That is my number one tip for anyone new to multicopters. If you have the copter powered up and are playing with any settings make sure that you have the props removed. There have been far too many injuries caused by people working on their copters with the props still attached.

The other bit of advise is to start simple and then build up the features. You need to get your copter tuned before turning on advanced features such as altitude hold and GPS. Don't be surprised if your copter just flies away into the distance if you haven't first set it up correctly for the basic functions.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveone View Post
I want to know why my kk multicopter board only powers up three of the four motors at 1/4 throttle and why I have to go full throttle to get the fourth motor to power up.
Are you sure that you have calibrated all of your ESC's correctly? Motors not starting simultaneously is a common symptom of ESC's not being calibrated.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2011
395 Posts
Evar try 1250kv motors on a quad?
Torque66 is online now Find More Posts by Torque66
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:00 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque66 View Post
Evar try 1250kv motors on a quad?
1250kv motors will work, but you really need to check the specifications of the motor to see what size propeller it can take.

I'm using some 1200kv RCTimer motors one my dividesign spider copter and they work well with 10" props.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:09 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
I just went to take some photos of a pro copter for a new article, but my girlfriend didn't put the memory card back in the camera. Doh!

Over 1m motor to motor, this is one big copter!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,647 Posts
The question is, how do you know when your no longer a newbie? It's not as if you ever stop learning in this hobby.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
If what I have read is correct, the reason people were custom flashing their ESCs in the past is for a higher refresh rate. I have the newer Plush ESCs on the way with Silabs and I read that they already have a high refresh rate.

Is there any good reasons why I would want to flash an Silabs ESC?
Porthos23 is offline Find More Posts by Porthos23
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Looking to buy a QAV500 next week but struggling with components

ESCs

Pretty much decided that I want Simonk firmware and found the 20 amp one preflashed at rc timer for $11.00 (thanks to the link in your excellent blog). What is the quality difference between similar Turnigy, hobby king, and others? Not afraid to flash atmega or sil if it means I get a better controller. Also is there an efficiency penalty if I go to a 30 amp vs 20 amp controller for the same motor?

Motors

Looking at NX or AX 4008. I understand those motors, like most are simply white labeled but what is a fair quality vs price motor? One has a different mount and bigger shaft 3mm vs 4 mm swinging a 10 x 5 or therabouts. What should I chose and why?

Props

I see all sorts of issues with plastic but want good value and have always hated balancing. What do you recommend? Rc timer seems to have a great selection of carbon fiber ones at a great price.

Control

Planning to get the Naza setup with GPS as well and control the whole thing with an 11xg. Any comments?

Ground station is a future project, would like waypoint navigation. What should I think about now?

Thanks!
skripo is offline Find More Posts by skripo
Last edited by skripo; Oct 01, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:07 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos23 View Post
If what I have read is correct, the reason people were custom flashing their ESCs in the past is for a higher refresh rate. I have the newer Plush ESCs on the way with Silabs and I read that they already have a high refresh rate.

Is there any good reasons why I would want to flash an Silabs ESC?
Yes, the SimonK firmware is specifically designed for multicopters and should improve stability. The reason there is so much discussion about the SiLabs ESCs is that Turnigy suddenly changed the design of the ESCs from ATMega to SiLabs, which are a little bit more tricky to flash.

There's now loads of tutorials on how to flash the new Plush ESCs with the SiLabs chips: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686498
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:24 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skripo View Post
Looking to buy a QAV500 next week but struggling with components

ESCs

Pretty much decided that I want Simonk firmware and found the 20 amp one preflashed at rc timer for $11.00 (thanks to the link in your excellent blog). What is the quality difference between similar Turnigy, hobby king, and others? Not afraid to flash atmega or sil if it means I get a better controller. Also is there an efficiency penalty if I go to a 30 amp vs 20 amp controller for the same motor?

Motors

Looking at NX or AX 4008. I understand those motors, like most are simply white labeled but what is a fair quality vs price motor? One has a different mount and bigger shaft 3mm vs 4 mm swinging a 10 x 5 or thereabouts. What should I chose and why?

Props

I see all sorts of issues with plastic but want good value and have always hated balancing. What do you recommend? Rc timer seems to have a great selection of carbon fiber ones at a great price.

Control

Planning to get the Naza setup with GPS as well and control the whole thing with an 11xg. Any comments?

Ground station is a future project, would like waypoint navigation. What should I think about now?

Thanks!
When it comes to ESCs, bigger is better as they will heat up less, so less likely to fail. The only penalty is carrying the extra weight of the bigger ESCs, but between 20A and 30A this is minimal.

I've had a look at those motors and they look like they're more suited to swinging a 12" prop, especially if you're going to run with a 3s lipo. I'm convinced that almost all motors come from the same factory and are just labelled differently, so if you can find one with identical specifications for a lower price then go for it and don't be sucked in by the brand.

I haven't heard good things about the cheap carbon fiber props, so I would stay away from them. If you don't like balancing props then the best that I've found straight out of the bag are by Graupner, but they're not the cheapest. The cheap carbon reinforced props work fine once they are properly balanced.

I really like the Naza and can highly recommend it. Unless they suddenly come up with another add-on for the Naza, I wouldn't expect waypoint navigation anytime soon. I'd suggest seeing how you get on with the Naza and start saving up for your next controller.

Overall I think you've made some good choices there and hopefully will have one really sweet copter when it's done.