HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:17 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,436 Posts
Ok ... After all this work I hope I can re pop it...
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:29 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
Ordered my custom unit on Tuesday, had it in hand on Fri. One Pro, plus two minis in series. I will be putting it in a Top Flite P47, 63 inch balsa kit. The big speaker will be in the cowl pointing straight down, while the two minis will be located where the intercooloer doors are in the fuse.
How are people mounting the minis? There are no flanges to work with.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:43 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
Ok ... After all this work I hope I can re pop it...
GForced,

Loved your FW190 flight video. That was a nice view of a beautiful neighborhood near downtown Sydney. Good flying. Interesting note at the end about your father and his uncompleted FW-190 project. Presumably this was a scaled-down version of the full-size plane intended as a sport plane?

I plan to do my speaker installation this weekend on the 1600mm P-47. The plane is largely built but I anticipate the speaker installation will take some time. Will post pics as the work progresses.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:57 AM
Beastcopter Pilot
United States, CA, Williams
Joined Oct 2010
128 Posts
I'm dyslexic, so I apologize if this has already been answered. Can you put any sound you want in it? What's the limit to size of the file? I have an ornithopter I'd love to make sound like a falcon.
taudronis is offline Find More Posts by taudronis
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taudronis View Post
I'm dyslexic, so I apologize if this has already been answered. Can you put any sound you want in it? What's the limit to size of the file? I have an ornithopter I'd love to make sound like a falcon.
That would be too cool. Unfortinately there is no way to import sounds at the moment. There are 2 versions with 4 sounds each currently. The ability to add sounds may be something in future versions though.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:27 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
P-47 Progress

The P-47 stock build is now complete. I have to make some final pre-flight checks but hope to maiden as is tomorrow. This plane looks just amazing ; see photos attached. I have yet to work out the details of how I will install the Ultra system.

Also, I was out to fly this morning with the P-51 and Bucker. It was cold and windy so I decided to call it a day after one flight on the P-51. I was testing out a new sound system configuration with an independent battery for the sound system. I used a 2200 mAh 4S battery. This left the plane a little tail heavy, so I am going to try again tomorrow with a smaller 3S battery, probably a 1300.

Question for Andrew: will a 1300 mAh be sufficient for 30 minutes of sound module use? Will it be quieter than having a 4S?

See below for a couple of pics of the P-47 from this afternoon, and the P-51 and Bucker Jungmann from this morning. I really like the morning photos, they capture the feeling of being out on a wind- and rain-swept airfield in the middle of some forgotten combat zone.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Jackson,
A 1300mah may be a little light for 30 minutes, but it may get close to that. When I run long run tests, I use a 4S 3000mah, and run it for between 1-2 hours strait. By the time it gets to that 2 hour mark it is noticeably down. I can't recall the actual numbers at the moment. My concern is going with 3S. The versin 2.5 system will run on 2S to 8S. In theory up to 10S, although I have not tested it on a 10S. That is because it is voltage regulated to approx. 14.8V. That appears to be about the optimum for the system. So running on a 3S, you are running lower than that, so you will notice some decrease in output. Will it be noticeable to you in the air? I don't know. I can notice a difference on the bench, then again, I am used to hearing these day in day out, so I know when the volume changes just a little. My guess is you will loose 3-5db. Probably just enough to be noticeable.

3S is fine if it is a plane that flies on 3S. If you have the option of going 4S, use that.

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
The P-47 stock build is now complete. I have to make some final pre-flight checks but hope to maiden as is tomorrow. This plane looks just amazing ; see photos attached. I have yet to work out the details of how I will install the Ultra system.

Also, I was out to fly this morning with the P-51 and Bucker. It was cold and windy so I decided to call it a day after one flight on the P-51. I was testing out a new sound system configuration with an independent battery for the sound system. I used a 2200 mAh 4S battery. This left the plane a little tail heavy, so I am going to try again tomorrow with a smaller 3S battery, probably a 1300.

Question for Andrew: will a 1300 mAh be sufficient for 30 minutes of sound module use? Will it be quieter than having a 4S?

See below for a couple of pics of the P-47 from this afternoon, and the P-51 and Bucker Jungmann from this morning. I really like the morning photos, they capture the feeling of being out on a wind- and rain-swept airfield in the middle of some forgotten combat zone.

Cheers,

Jackson
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:15 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Andrew,

Actually I was planning to goose the Mustang with a 5S battery and didn't think the sound system would handle 5S. If I am wrong, I will just go back to the old configuration. The Mustang sound system is the newer version with the red plastic speaker enclosure.

Jackson
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
If it is a V 2.5 Budget, it will have 3 cards total. The power leads go into a card on the side of the unit, usually affixed with velcro. I think you have a V 2.5, but will not swear to it. If the wires go into a small card, it is the 2.5, if they go into the red amplifier on top, it is a 2. If it is the 2.5, 5S will be no problem, I test them up to 8S.

Andrew

Quote:
Andrew,

Actually I was planning to goose the Mustang with a 5S battery and didn't think the sound system would handle 5S. If I am wrong, I will just go back to the old configuration. The Mustang sound system is the newer version with the red plastic speaker enclosure.

Jackson
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:15 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,436 Posts
Quote:
GForced,

Loved your FW190 flight video. That was a nice view of a beautiful neighborhood near downtown Sydney. Good flying. Interesting note at the end about your father and his uncompleted FW-190 project. Presumably this was a scaled-down version of the full-size plane intended as a sport plane?

I plan to do my speaker installation this weekend on the 1600mm P-47. The plane is largely built but I anticipate the speaker installation will take some time. Will post pics as the work progresses.

Jackson
Thanks for the nice flying comments Jackson... Yes mate, it's a scratch build 60% scale scratch build I'm now trying to re purchase to complete - it was finished and flown fr any years but the blue fam bubbled and now it's being build by a new building who has lost interest
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:35 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Great job! Thanks for passing that along. Do you think there would have been room in the Stuka for the unit as a whole, with a little cutting of foam? Just wondering it it could be kept all in one for mobitlity reasons.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Andrew!
Would it be a good idea to have scale templates of encloscures and speakers to be able make more exact cutouts in our planes? IMUO one should mount as invisible as possible, like Jackson has proven with his nice planes and footage.
Best reg
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
P-47 Maiden

Got the P-47 maidened today. It was almost a complete disaster. I had the ailerons reversed and somehow overlooked in my preflight. Plane took off, started to roll to left, I corrected and it rolled over and smashed into the ground. Bunged up the nose cowl and prop was scratched, but the rest of the plane is surprisingly intact. Also found the plane was somewhat tail-heavy but was able to counter act by using two 4000 mAh batteries in parallel. Essentially a 8 amp 4S battery.

I then flew three sets of two batteries each and got the feel of the P-47. It is a really nice plane in the air. I think with some more flight experience and fine-tuning, it will become a favorite. It sure looks great on low passes and dogfighting maneuvers.

So, now it is time for maiden repairs and installation of the Ultra unit. The good news is that the plane can easily handle more weight in the front fuselage which is where I planned to install the sound unit. I hope to get the install done some evening this week. Will keep you all posted.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:06 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Got the P-47 maidened today. It was almost a complete disaster. I had the ailerons reversed and somehow overlooked in my preflight. Plane took off, started to roll to left, I corrected and it rolled over and smashed into the ground. Bunged up the nose cowl and prop was scratched, but the rest of the plane is surprisingly intact. Also found the plane was somewhat tail-heavy but was able to counter act by using two 4000 mAh batteries in parallel. Essentially a 8 amp 4S battery.

I then flew three sets of two batteries each and got the feel of the P-47. It is a really nice plane in the air. I think with some more flight experience and fine-tuning, it will become a favorite. It sure looks great on low passes and dogfighting maneuvers.

So, now it is time for maiden repairs and installation of the Ultra unit. The good news is that the plane can easily handle more weight in the front fuselage which is where I planned to install the sound unit. I hope to get the install done some evening this week. Will keep you all posted.

Regards,

Jackson
Hi Jackson!
Sad news! Been really eager to see another of your tasty flight videos. Hope you can get the bird "as new" again and get the Ultra in.
you´re not the only one overseenig things!
I didn´t notice flipping throttle hold in mid air. Don´t use it any more !

Hög landning (2 min 2 sec)

Best reg
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:

Regards,

Jackson
Dont feel bad. I did the same thing here.
P-51 maiden with CRASH!.mp4 (3 min 11 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Andrew!
Would it be a good idea to have scale templates of encloscures and speakers to be able make more exact cutouts in our planes? IMUO one should mount as invisible as possible, like Jackson has proven with his nice planes and footage.
Best reg
Lasse
I will look into that.
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread