HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
Thank for the above information, it surely will come in handle, very soon.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:06 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Thank for the above information, it surely will come in handle very soon.
i added the pic just now.

but remember, i think weve all had problems with ducts bending to meet the props and being obliterated. As we tighten the duct diameter, expect those occasions to worsen

the Embry riddel team was given many hours on Boeings 3D polycarbonate printer, which was why there ducts were so ridgid. i dont know how we will do the same...
Test Pilot Mafia is online now Find More Posts by Test Pilot Mafia
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:50 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
Not very much tip clearance! I will have to file down the tips of these props a very small amount hopefully maintaining 1/16" distant mentioned above. I opted not to use the salad bowls, after removing the base, they just did not have the structural strength I had hoped for however, I may still use the upper ring because of the radius. Instead, I opted for the cut down 12" concrete forums.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:21 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
725 Posts
i have considered the same use of the forms... but how are they on wheight? my styrofoam are just too flimsy...

And how stiff is your 120 degree supports making the duct? will it survive minor bumps without bending into the prop?

do you reccomend turning the whole arm with motor? or using a hinge on the motor w servo? (for bicopter use i mean)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pilot Mafia View Post
i have considered the same use of the forms... but how are they on wheight? my styrofoam are just too flimsy...

And how stiff is your 120 degree supports making the duct? will it survive minor bumps without bending into the prop?

do you reccomend turning the whole arm with motor? or using a hinge on the motor w servo? (for bicopter use i mean)
I am rotating the entire assembly, arms and Ducts as one unit. See the video posted here

As for the structural strength of the duct, all I can tell you is, MUCH better than foam. As for weight, I don't worry about weight until after it is flying (of course I make sure there is enough power), then I will go back over it looking for areas where I can reduce weight and make things more efficient.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:08 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
I am rotating the entire assembly, arms and Ducts as one unit....
im doing the same, the ball links didnt seem to work well.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:02 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
nice looking ducts...lookin good .......good luck fellas
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
nice looking ducts...lookin good .......good luck fellas
Thank you, here is a preview of what's to come. The Radius (made from a salad bowl) just sitting there drying, it is freshly painted.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
I may leave that Radius off, I am undecided.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:14 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
looks good Rev. keep up the good work..

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 AM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
725 Posts
i have bought a 10.375 ID x 48 long, cardboard cement tube, i plan to have 0.185 inch clearance for my 10" Dia MA tri-props...

This looks cheaper and easier than carbon fiber... and at 10.375 x 1.2 inches i can make many ducts quickly...

( on my table saw, i should get 35-ish ducts off a single 48 inch long tube )
Last edited by Test Pilot Mafia; Feb 02, 2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: My terrible spelling...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:59 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
The Very first test of the new Weight Shifting/Transferring System.

http://youtu.be/iQ_N94XRM1Y

I have yet to place an order for the servo saver but I figured I could get some bench and hovering testing done.
subscribed. Clever application .. shifting weight dynamically to control flight attitude .. like a hang glider. I bought 3 Dunhaven gyro-servors for a future gimbal build .. perhaps a GS-1 would be helpful to "automate" that function .. servo input would just be for "trim".

http://www.dunehaven.com/gs1.htm .. If he's out of stock, try kapshop.com (Norway .. also had stock of GS-1 CR).

Cheers
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:14 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, here is a preview of what's to come. The Radius (made from a salad bowl) just sitting there drying, it is freshly painted.
Perhaps a candidate for a CF layup .. duct and shroud combo .. nice.
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pilot Mafia View Post
i have bought a 10.375 ID x 48 long, cardboard cement tube, i plan to have 0.185 inch clearance for my 10" Dia MA tri-props...

This looks cheaper and easier than carbon fiber... and at 10.375 x 1.2 inches i can make many ducts quickly...

( on my table saw, i should get 35-ish ducts off a single 48 inch long tube )
Yea, the cardboard tubing is not as light as I would like however, I have not found anything else at the local hardware store what would work in the diameters required for the prop sizes used. I would love to work with fiberglass but just have not ventured into that area yet.

I am cutting the tubes to 2.5" presently but I am going to try some 1.75-2.00" in an attempt to reduce weight.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
subscribed. Clever application .. shifting weight dynamically to control flight attitude .. like a hang glider. I bought 3 Dunhaven gyro-servors for a future gimbal build .. perhaps a GS-1 would be helpful to "automate" that function .. servo input would just be for "trim".

http://www.dunehaven.com/gs1.htm .. If he's out of stock, try kapshop.com (Norway .. also had stock of GS-1 CR).

Cheers
I love these servos and spent many nights dreaming about them. Just never made the investment. Then I came upon the Arduino with the MWC firmware, then there was no need for them.