HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:33 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,008 Posts
Discussion
Best small aerobatic trainer.

I need an airplane to practice aerobatics from a grass strip behind my house. I have plenty of airspace but need something that can be easily landed on a short grass runway.

I am currently using a E-flite mini pulse for that runway. It flies well with a 4s 1800 LiPo but I want something about that size that has a little more power and does not float so much on landings. A 4s 2200 LiPo would be my preference. ARF will get me flying sooner but if I have to I will build one over the winter.

I was thinking about the E-flite Leader 480 but I donít think that the trike gear setup is going to work well on grass. Does that come with a taildragger option?

Any ideas?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
How about a profile 3D plane without landing gear? Hand launch. To land, just slow it down with high alpha and plop it down on the grass. No sweat.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
I have a Leader which I land/takeoff on grass. I only had one incidence on takeoff when my prop hit a small bump and it broke. Apart from that time, I can always takeoff without any problem. Landings are ok too, as long as you're smooth. Once I came in too rough and the plane just flipped over after touchdown. The plane wasn't damaged at all. The plane is very gentle at landing though, so it usually just rolls a little bit on the grass and stops quickly.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
231 Posts
if you want a nice well built airplane look at 3dhs edges, buck huck is $109 and buck and half is $149. Great aerobatic airplanes
Komet ME163 is offline Find More Posts by Komet ME163
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
62 Posts
My vote is for the Leader, but I'm admittedly biased.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:42 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,008 Posts
What about a small Extra? If I remove the wheel covers and install larger wheels. With that high drag fuselage it should slow down quickly for landing. Any opinions on that choice?
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFL2475#

Or maybe this one:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2425

Last edited by RC Man; Sep 21, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
Joined Oct 2006
62 Posts
The Leader will probably slow down more because it has a larger wing and is roughly the same weight. The smaller 3D 480-sized airplanes you mentioned fly well, but will not land as slow.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:25 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
The Leader will probably slow down more because it has a larger wing and is roughly the same weight. The smaller 3D 480-sized airplanes you mentioned fly well, but will not land as slow.
Thanks I’ll give the Leader a try. I have always like E-flight kits.

Are there any plans to make a larger size in the future?

Last edited by RC Man; Sep 21, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
In matters of wing loading, the Leader 480 is nothing to write home about, it's spec'd at 13.6 oz/sq in. That's huge compared to any comparably-sized EPP foamie. (Eg. my Hyperion Sniper X-II, 48" wingspan and about half the wing loading of a Leader 480.)

Another way to get low wing loading is to build it yourself from a Mountain Models or Stevens Aero kit. Or try an ARF from Precision Aerobatics.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:34 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Leader 480 is very good. Smaller and very good is a MUS (MIni Ultra Stick).
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:08 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Leader 480 is very good. Smaller and very good is a MUS (MIni Ultra Stick).
I have a MUS but it just doesnít do very well at precision aerobatic practice. Maybe I just donít have it set up correctly. I have the 2-flap option. Maybe splitting the flaps so I have smaller ailerons will give me more precise control Ė any suggestions?

Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:42 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
I would recommend you take a look at the 47" Osiris from 3D Hobby Shop. It flys well on a 4s 2200 size battery.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
You want a plane that can land in a SHORT runway YET you don't want it to 'float' on landing?

How does that work?

You plan on using an aircraft carrier landing wire to catch it?
Or a sharp nose and a lawn dart type landing?
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
He means he wants a plane that settles quickly. Sometimes it's hard to land a plane that keeps on flying on ground effect, especially when landing space is limited.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
He means he wants a plane that settles quickly. Sometimes it's hard to land a plane that keeps on flying on ground effect, especially when landing space is limited.
That’s exactly it. I have about 250’ of grass to work with so it’s not that bad.

Maybe I am going about it the wrong way. I need a good precision aerobatic airplane (not a 3D airplane) that’s in the 480 size, 400-450 sq” of wing area. If it flies the way I like I will just have to figure out how to land it.

I was out flying my MUS this morning and was trying to figure out why it does not fly the way I like. 1. The wing is a bit stubby – needs a slightly higher aspect ratio or a tapered wing. 2. The ailerons are too large. 3. It would probably track better with a slightly longer tail moment (longer fuselage). It does land very well.

Last edited by RC Man; Sep 23, 2011 at 01:59 PM.