HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagi450t View Post
I am new to sailplanes (well 6 servo ones anyway) well hopeing someone will be able to give me some tips on setting the Radian pro up on the JR Dsx9 I have it set on Acro and have it all working inc flaps but no other mixs, when I put it on the sailplane setting I couldnt even get the motor to run, maybe the RX channels are not the same?.
I'll bet the sailplane setting is for an unpowered sailplane. Most likely it turns the throttle into a flap control, leaving you with no throttle channel.

Maybe try switching it back to a power mode.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dunstable
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Took it out yesterday and had a chuk in Acro mode flys well but nearly cault me out on a down wind run, no response from Airlerons (17mph winds up to 25mph) OK with power on or useing Rudder, very impresed how slow it lands with flaps, just need to sort out mixing for camber and reflex now.
zagi450t is offline Find More Posts by zagi450t
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:56 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelder View Post
Well I am officially done with my RP. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. .......................
Once it got up fairly high, it started to bank to the right.
Can I suggest if you were banking it (you did say "it" inferring you may not have been in command but I will give you the benefit of the doubt) then you might be banking too steeply. It may well stall and start to spin out of control. The things you are flying at present will tolerate high banking turns, I do not think an RP will, or for that matter any other glider.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:13 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Hello big brother! Now you can keep track of your truck, your boat, bicycle, motorcycle, even your girl. (see the pictures in the ad) It doesn't say how much it weighs, but it would have to have a battery and transmitter powerful enough to send a signal to a satellite (and then there are the user-fees after you have bought it. It says it is ideal for dogs and large animals but is too large for a cat to "carry comfortably".Still, for large and expensive planes, it might be worth while.
Read the information. It uses Cellular to communicate. Just like logging onto the web with your smart phone. No satellite battery required:

"Using your GPS

Loc8tor GPS technology lets you track your device in almost any country either online or by your mobile / cell phone. It will automatically detect and connect to a suitable mobile network (same as a mobile phone). Please note GPS technology is designed for use outside. Itís not suitable for locating the whereabouts of something indoors.

GPS Size : 66mm (H) x 36mm (W) x 20mm (D) / 2.6" (H) x 1.4" (W) x 0.8" (D)

GPS Weight : Weight: 60 grams, 2.11 Oz

Batteries : Rechargeable

Battery Life : Up to 3 weeks. Please note battery life will be reduced depending on the frequency it reports."

I will not lose another sailplane.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
It uses Cellular to communicate.
Thanks for the info. I didn't read it all, and was thinking more along the lines of a satellite system such as a Spot locator. I live in an area that has extremely limited cell coverage, so it wouldn't work here. I wonder if anybody has tried a Spot system in a sailplane..somebody must have.

Every day new devices are coming out on the market, and thanks again for the information on this one.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
Originally Posted by zagi450t
I am new to sailplanes (well 6 servo ones anyway) well hopeing someone will be able to give me some tips on setting the Radian pro up on the JR Dsx9 I have it set on Acro and have it all working inc flaps but no other mixs, when I put it on the sailplane setting I couldnt even get the motor to run, maybe the RX channels are not the same?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I'll bet the sailplane setting is for an unpowered sailplane. Most likely it turns the throttle into a flap control, leaving you with no throttle channel.

Maybe try switching it back to a power mode.
There is a common miss conception by power pilots that throttle is tied to the left stick, but it is not. Even on a Spektrum DX5i the throttle can be moved to another channel. Just plug it into channel 5 and it will be operated by the gear switch. Use the left stick to give you camber, reflex and landing flaps. I have this all mapped out on an AR500 if you are interested.

Using glider mode or a glider profile, most advanced radios will assume you are flying a glider rather than a powered aircraft and will assign the left stick to landing control as that is how most glider pilots would use it. You can place the throttle on a switch, slider, dial or some other control by putting in in a different slot in the receiver or by assigning it to a different control in your menus. How you do it would be based on the capabilities of your radio and your preferences.

Depending on the radio you can remap the throttle back to the left stick and put your landing controls somewhere else. I would put landing mix on the left stick myself, but I am a glider pilot primarily. I don't have any full house e-gliders, but when I do, the throttle will go on a switch or a slider.

You can set up your glider as a powered aircraft using an airplane/acro profile and have the throttle default to the left stick.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
There is a common miss conception by power pilots that throttle is tied to the left stick, but it is not. Even on a Spektrum DX5i the throttle can be moved to another channel. Just plug it into channel 5 and it will be operated by the gear switch. Use the left stick to give you camber, reflex and landing flaps. I have this all mapped out on an AR500 if you are interested.

Depending on the radio you can remap the throttle back to the left stick and put your landing controls somewhere else. I would put landing mix on the left stick myself, but I am a glider pilot primarily. I don't have any full house e-gliders, but when I do, the throttle will go on a switch or a slider.
The above is true. However, you must be aware of a feature of their (Spekrum) RX units. The first channel (throttle) is special. When the RX isn't receiving a usable signal the RX enters a fail-safe mode, it drives channel #1 (throttle) to a low value. The other channels will either stay at their last value or move to a pre-set value depending on the RX model and/or fail-safe mode set during TX/RX binding.

Two things will happen during a hold/lock-out condition. First, whatever you plug in to the throttle channel will be driven to one end of its travel (full down flap/aileron/spoiler.) Second, the motor (plugged in to the gear channel) will not power down like it would if it were plugged in the throttle channel. This could create an unsafe condition; motor on and control surfaces in extreme positions.

I leave the motor/ESC connected to the throttle, and use throttle cut/hold to temp disable the motor. The same switch both disables the motor and enables a mix mapping throttle to flaps/spoilers. During launches the flap/spoiler mix is disabled and motor is enabled. At the top of a climb out flip the switch disabling the motor and enabling the flaps/spoilers mix. Works for me.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:54 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
The above is true. However, you must be aware of a feature of their (Spekrum) RX units. The first channel (throttle) is special. When the RX isn't receiving a usable signal the RX enters a fail-safe mode, it drives channel #1 (throttle) to a low value. The other channels will either stay at their last value or move to a pre-set value depending on the RX model and/or fail-safe mode set during TX/RX binding.

Two things will happen during a hold/lock-out condition. First, whatever you plug in to the throttle channel will be driven to one end of its travel (full down flap/aileron/spoiler.) Second, the motor (plugged in to the gear channel) will not power down like it would if it were plugged in the throttle channel. This could create an unsafe condition; motor on and control surfaces in extreme positions.

I leave the motor/ESC connected to the throttle, and use throttle cut/hold to temp disable the motor. The same switch both disables the motor and enables a mix mapping throttle to flaps/spoilers. During launches the flap/spoiler mix is disabled and motor is enabled. At the top of a climb out flip the switch disabling the motor and enabling the flaps/spoilers mix. Works for me.
Thank you, LizardMan, for so clearly describing the weaknesses of the Spektrum "Smart-safe" system. I prefer to call it "dumb-safe". With all but the high-end receivers, an interruption in the signal causes the throttle channel to go to zero (good) and all the other channels "remember their last position" (bad). That means the smart safe does nothing to the other channels, which is definitely dumb. At least with the old DSM2 systems, a pre-programmed setting would take over.

If you are willing to pay extra for a high end receiver, you can have it too, but that is beyond the capabilities of the receivers that come stock in any of the Parkzone planes. Using the throttle channel for any other purpose is done at your own risk.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Works for me.

Works for me also. Lizardman's DX8 setup is brilliant.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
Works for me also. Lizardman's DX8 setup is brilliant.

--Jason
Lizardman's setup also works on my old DX7.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
209 Posts
If only he would work up a flaperon set up so I didn't have to. Oh well, such is life.
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
Quote:

very good report.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:31 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
sorry guys i know it's not from the Pro but this footage is so funny i thought you would like to see it

Had a WOW! look at that! happen when we viewed the footage from my Radian + key cam flight over Lake Natimuk in Victoria Australia. Unbeknown to me a Bug had climbed aboard my Radian and as the footage will show, it had an awesome flight! Even doing a bit of Wing Walking trying to find the best place to sit out the rest of it's flight! "The Bug" never came back out so the vid ends there, but we are sure it would have made it back to earth if it can hang on like it did! I have cut out all bits that do not feature "The Bug!" but i can tell you there was some hairy maneuvers done in the parts we cut out and just how "The Bug!" stayed on has me beat?
Anyway sit back and see how many times you can see "The Bug!"
The scenery of and around the lake is spectacular too if you can take ya eyes off that "Bug!" Haha

cheers chuck

Radian Hitchhiker "The Bug" Wing Walking At 800ft (4 min 11 sec)
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:48 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
Was interesting to see the bug walking, probably looking for a way off the plane.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:27 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Lizardman's setup also works on my old DX7.
Is there a detailed setup for the DX7? I would like to try it, but I am not much of a programming whiz.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase