New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2016, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by schomper42
schomper42
Joined Apr 2016
20 Posts
Discussion
looking to buy my first warbird! HELP needed

I am looking to buy my first warbird and I need some advise. My friend just bought the EFlite P51D Mustang 48" B&F with AS3X technology and its a Beautiful plane that flys awesome ! BUT .... it can't take off from the grass! Its nose dives everytime , no matter what he tries. So I have to hand launch it for him every time . It lands ok but it would be nice to take off from the grass . But the plane other then that is awesome. Is there a warbird out there thats similar to that plane that can take off from the grass , in the 44-48 " size , with retracts and hopefully B&F around the $250.00 price range ?????
Any suggestions ?
thanks for any help
bob
schomper42 is offline Find More Posts by schomper42
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2016, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by gnats82
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
6,238 Posts
schomper -

Take a look at this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769940

Of the airplanes that fit your needs, this one basically handles grass very well as long as it's not too high or clumpy. A similar one from Eflite might do well enough also.

The Flyzone has the landing gear configured close to scale near the wing leading edge and gives it the best advantage over rolling resistance. Beware, though, any of these retract equipped airplanes aren't very tolerant of hard landings.

Keep an eye on this other new thread, same basic questions being dealt with: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2695243
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jul 05, 2016, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by Leo L
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
3,189 Posts
Hi Schomper42,

I can sympathize with you and your friend. I fly from a park where the grass is tall and very thick, making take-offs and landings difficult. Let me first review what needs to be done for grass take-offs, then offer you a good plane selection.

- Technique: Obviously, start by selecting a take-off runway where the grass is shortest. Give the plane maximum up elevator before starting the motor. Do a very gradual acceleration of the motor until the plane starts to roll; or give short bursts of power. Keep increasing the throttle gradually until the plane picks up speed, then return the elevator to neutral so that the plane does not try to lift off before it attains sufficient speed. The initial stage of having up elevator keeps the tail down and consequently keeps the plane from nosing over.
- Landing gear position: For grass flying, you want the landing gear to be about 1 to 1 1/4 inch forward of their stock location. This is called the rough field landing gear position. If a plane has fixed gear, you just bend the struts to move the wheels forward. If the plane has retracts, like your friend's Mustang, You can usually add washers under the rear mounting screws to get the assembly pitched forward. You might not attain the 1 to 1 1/4 inch adjustment, but any amount will help. Your friend might need to make some small modifications to the wheel well so that the retracts still work properly with the added pitch.
- Wheels: generally speaking the larger the wheel diameter and the thinner the wheel, the better for grass flying. Your friend might not be able to get larger diameter wheels to fit the wheel wells, but he can certainly find thinner ones. I find the DuBro micro sport wheels to be good at grass flying while still keeping a nice appearance. http://www.horizonhobby.com/145-micr...82%29-dub145ms They come in a variety of diameters.

Consider the HobbyZone Corsair S for your first warbird: http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...nology-hbz8200

It has a light wing loading which makes flying and landing very easy. It has SAFE which can be used to assist you in your initial flights. It also has fixed landing gear which can easily be bent as noted above to achieve "rough field" performance.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jul 05, 2016, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
946 Posts
Mostly it just comes down to wheel size. The. 44-48" planes will almost always have trouble getting off of grass. For just slightly more, I would recommend the bigger 57" FMS P-51 https://www.motionrc.com/collections...7-wingspan-pnp. This was my first grass warbird and is an excellent flier. It even handles rough cut grass very well.
F106DeltaDart is online now Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
Old Jul 05, 2016, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by DaveA
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
714 Posts
Even my 55" Phoenix Spitfire and FMS 55" Zero will nose over on grass if you are not careful. I did the forward gear adjustment mod on my Zero and it helped (I never could get off from grass before the mod), but both still require finesse and luck to avoid takeoff nose-overs. Like Leo said, what works best is to hold full up elevator and gently increase throttle until it just starts to ease forward, and keep adding more throttle to keep it moving. Once you have some speed, ease off the elevator and let the tail come up just a bit, and it should take off on it s own. You can try slamming the throttle to max and hope you can get off the ground before torque veers you off the edge of the runway, but that often leads to premature liftoff because of holding full up elevator. It will try to take off and climb steeply in ground effect before it is really up to flying speed and then stall, if you do actually get it in the air before it runs off the edge of the runway (the voice of experience).

I have a Hyperion Spitfire that is more in the 48" wingspan range, and I never could get it to take off from grass consistently, even with the gear raked forward and bigger wheels.

I don't know if they fit your criteria, but the new FMS P-38 has tricycle gear and is supposed to be a pussycat on grass (but pricey), and the E-flite T-28 also has tricycle gear, and is closer in size to your buddy's plane. I have the Parkzone version of the T-28, a tad smaller and no retracts. I put skinnier wheels on the PZ T-28 and it reliably takes off from grass, so I imagine the bigger E-flite Trojan should be at least as good on grass. Not the sexiest warbird, but it is military and I think some were actually used in combat in SE Asia.

Good luck!

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Jul 05, 2016, 07:05 PM
schomper42
Joined Apr 2016
20 Posts
all great information ! thank you so much, now I need to investigate all of these options .
Old Jul 05, 2016, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,513 Posts
T-28, p-47, both great flying planes. Those were my first ones I that order. Still fly both even though I have moved on to building balsa kits. The p-47 is now a belly lander for my local ball fields. Removed retracts and the flaps really get her down softly.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Jul 05, 2016, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
946 Posts
Just beware that if you go with a nose wheel plane, the front retract will die at some point just from use on grass. Taking off from grass is very hard on a nosewheel airplane, and I personally prefer tail draggers like the P-51 and Corsair off of grass.
F106DeltaDart is online now Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
Old Jul 05, 2016, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,513 Posts
A fixed gear trike will get the ball rolling for you.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Jul 06, 2016, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by TripleW
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
7,091 Posts
T-28 with fixed gear or find a better runway.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...3-wingspan-bnf
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 08, 2016, 08:03 PM
schomper42
Joined Apr 2016
20 Posts
Ya the more I read about this I think the best thing for me is to stay away from the planes with retractable landing gear and go for a trike. Or just hand launch and do belly lands . The T-28 sounds like a good choice . I have no other fields other then these soccer fields which are wide open an no trees.
Old Jul 08, 2016, 08:33 PM
schomper42
Joined Apr 2016
20 Posts
So this is what I'm going to look for in my warbird purchase for taking off on grass.
must haves: Tricycle U/C (no retracts), flaps, and single electric engine.
not a must have but would be nice: BNF, AS3X technology
$200-$300 range
its not so easy to find what I want and have the flaps. Feel free to offer up any suggestions. Thanks much!!!
Old Jul 09, 2016, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Joined Sep 2013
3,821 Posts
The E-flite P-47 on sale now for a 150 bucks is a no-brainer for anyone looking to get a first (or second, or fifth..) warbird. Great plane, easy to fly, forgiving, etc.

I find the Trojan to be as vanilla boring as a Cessna.. Just my opinion though. Everyone's got their own...
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Jul 09, 2016, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by Zverymuch
United States, WA, Blaine
Joined Jan 2016
105 Posts
The t-28 is by far the easiest to fly followed I would say the p-47 and then a p-51. No retracts and flaps kind of limits your options. A t-28 can be bought from horizon with no retracts but won't have flaps. Almost everything else has retracts unless u drop in size which then limits grass flying.

The 1100 t-28 is a tank and a bit of reading u could easily add flaps to it yourself which is not as convenient as buying one with them. So u will have to choose one or the other retracts and flaps or fixed and no flaps. The t-28 1100 doesn't need flaps and even if it had them I likely would never use them it's that easy to fly and light. The 1100 t-28 also has the luxury of easily changing wheels to a larger size which I have done for the grass.

A few of my 1200mm I can't even get off the ground in grass unless it's uber short like the tempest or my fw190.

So my choice would be the t-28 for versatility and the p-47 for all out fun but them again I have a power 25 in mine on 4s lol but not a tric and has retracts but comes now with a optional belly landing skid.
Zverymuch is offline Find More Posts by Zverymuch
Last edited by Zverymuch; Jul 09, 2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2016, 05:35 AM
Find More Posts by 55TBird
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2013
244 Posts
I would not recommend any warbird with retractable trike undercarriage less than 60" wingspan on grass. I haven't seen one yet, including the newest version FMS T-28, that is suitable for a first - time warbird flyer over thick grass.

Consider the FMS Stuka. It's light, priced right, has sturdy fixed gear, has flaps, and is relatively easy to fly, fast or slow. Parts are still reasonably priced. It also has the iconic good looks to make a first - time warbird owner happy.
55TBird is offline Find More Posts by 55TBird
Last edited by 55TBird; Jul 09, 2016 at 06:04 AM.