New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by JUSS10B
United States, MI, Zeeland
Joined Nov 2014
115 Posts
Discussion
malibu walmart boat conversion - have a roll issue

Among many other boat projects going on right now, I took on the task to convert my father in laws "toy" boat to a real RC boat. Its a cheap malibu boat from walmart. In the realm of scale factor it wins big but it was really slow and awful in the water.

I went ahead and dropped the drive line from an FT007 in it (motor, prop shaft, prop) and then went ahead and built a new rudder using some brass tubing and stock I had laying around. I took it for a spin the other day and it was quite disappointing. It just wants to roll. I can't get it to full throttle without it flipping over.

I'll admit, I just blindly rebuilt the boat and really didn't have a clue as to whether the motor, prop, etc was a good match. Now I had a boat that floats but can't really run. Would really like some input on this.

Sorry, no pictures at this moment but I will get some in a few hours. My wife really wants me to get this finished before I work on my other projects so any help would be great.

Thanks!

Justin
JUSS10B is offline Find More Posts by JUSS10B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,481 Posts
Hi Justin,

If you just put in another motor and changed nothing else, the steep propshaft angle will make it close to undrivable as soon as you want to run it faster than stock.

But I'm not telling you something you didn't already know, I assume.

To improve the running attitude the 'Eiffeltower' under the boat has to go and a new (longer) propshaft assembly has to be installed in such a way the angle of the propshaft doesn't exceed 7.
This may be close to impossible, so a little steeper is OK, as long as you don't overdo it, or you'll end up with the same running attitude as you started out with...

I'll wait for the pictures, so I can see better what you're dealing with.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by JUSS10B
United States, MI, Zeeland
Joined Nov 2014
115 Posts
Attached are some photos.

So maybe I have too steep of a prop shaft angle?
JUSS10B is offline Find More Posts by JUSS10B
Old Jun 27, 2016, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,481 Posts
Hi Justin,

The propshaft angle itself is 'workable', what needs a hacksaw is the big triangular 'keel' where the propshaft is sticking out of.

If you want the boat to perform normally, the 'keel' will have to come off, the hole in the bottom closed with a sheet of plastic and the propshaft/motor re-installed.

I was mistaken, it's not the Eiffeltower you see on most toy boats, but a piece of a pyramid...

It's effectively a rebuild.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled