HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
I've seen this commercial as of late, but I ain't no Joe Biden!

EJWash
America needs more people like you!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:57 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
..... I just don't get the excuse of "I don't have any time" or "I think its to hard" because its a hobby that takes time and I think building is an important part of it.....
Those with the time issue are generally older than yourself with a spouse, children, jobs sometimes requiring work after the regular day, homes needing maintenance, laundry, etc, etc. I know for I'm one of them. Howerver, people will make time for what interests them. My block of free time of any real consequence during the week usually begins around 11 or 11:30...and I will build often to 1am or so. Would ARFs be easier in my situation, sure.... but I'm a builder, always have been. You either like it or ou don't but like getting my kids to eat vegetables or do anything else that may on the surface look distasteful.... you'll never know you like it unless you try it. I find it easier to get people involved today with all the electric options...Once they're flying and see they can fly again and again with no crashing or issues... i suggest a "kit". Ant the satisfaction I can see in them walking to the flight line with something other than a hangar 9 or great planes cookie cutter arf is like watching a new dad seeing his kid the first time through the nursery window. They're hooked. They understand the dedication, problem solving, patience, and multitude of other traits required to get somthing in the air and experience a part of this hobby that fewer and fewer are. Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:00 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,520 Posts
error
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:54 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E View Post
Here at Texas A&M ...

I like to build mainly in the summers, so darned hot here then. But to keep it traditional, I build in the winter too. That 4 years in upper peninsula Michagan did it.
Boy, can I sympathize with you! I do most of MY building in the summer months, too. LOL
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:54 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Flyer 72 View Post
Stop selling ARFs and RTFs. That should do it.
Better yet, whenever approached by niev...er...newer hobbyists let it drop somewhere in your conversation that..."RTFs and ARFs are fine for kids and beginners, but when they become good pilots most grown-ups prefer to build their own."
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Better yet, whenever approached by niev...er...newer hobbyists let it drop somewhere in your conversation that..."RTFs and ARFs are fine for kids and beginners, but when they become good pilots most grown-ups prefer to build their own."
If I'd of made this comment, NoFlyZone, his brethren and many others would be "In my FACE"! And, I would not blame them!! Nuff said!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:06 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
You know, a lot of "ARF" flyers are doing a LOT of work modifying them. Almost more than if they had built it from scratch.

I was recently looking at the thread on the Park Zone F4F where a guy built scale F4F retractable gear, for his foamy.

Is he not a builder?
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:46 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
DIY Tea Jug Cowling

Building my latest creation, I was realizing that to manufacture a "plug" to shrink a pop bottle onto (for my cowling) was going to take a lot of forming, sanding, glue, waxing, at least a couple of attempts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy taking the long road only to get it right, and never the first time. Well, looking across my shop at the collection AriZona Sweet Tea jugs, it hit me. HDPE plastic takes the "Fusion" paint really well, and ah, well, so I discovered my newly drained cowling. (as my internet radio is playing a "Kazoo Chorus" - figures. This is the beauity of scratch building! Now I have a really sweet (Southern Style) cowling that I could never pull off...the plug, mainly because of the negitive angle just below the shaft. I'll put this up on a builder's thread when it's finished. Just thought it was a great example of how easy building really is, but you have to be willing to put yourself in a tight spot, then work your way out of it with many options. No one else is going to hand you this, in a box, or otherwise. It's up to you to create your own interputation of what you think is cool. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have something painted & mounted. The "scratch garden" is still producing.

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Nov 01, 2010, 07:49 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Build build build!

How's it hangin fellas? Back in post #743 I reported that participating in this thread had given me an idea to set up and share some shed space with an old compadre and up the building ante. This has been initiated and is working out really well. Two heads are certainly better than one. On the floor is an old scale Slingsby T.30 Prefect that we are restoring and on the bench is my Davey Systems Prophet 941 in initial stages of building. There's always something going on at the shed. Another friendly flier drops in with his Sea Fury wing for a bit of tweaking - here admiring the mummified rat we found in the Slingsby fuselage. We're happy little Vegemites in the local vernacular.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:38 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I like the glider and the car
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:25 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You know, a lot of "ARF" flyers are doing a LOT of work modifying them. Almost more than if they had built it from scratch.

I was recently looking at the thread on the Park Zone F4F where a guy built scale F4F retractable gear, for his foamy.

Is he not a builder?
Yes he is... do you have that link? I'm looking for ideas on methods.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

Is he not a builder?
Certainly! Do you feel I; or, other people coming to this thread are slighting people like your example? That is certainly not my intentions!

I have asked people who build in foam to describe the process in this thread. While no one has done so here, they have pointed us/me towards threads where descriptions of how to do it are described.

Personally, and without meaning to besmirch; or, short those who do like to build in foam, it is not the method of construction I am interested in. I am partial to fabric covered airplanes: World War One, vintage sailplanes and classic fabric covered general aviation airplanes. I also like working with wood, so that is the method of construction I like! However, I'm one person and my choice is good for me. I still am interested in other peoples ideas.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Nov 02, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:31 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
Jezus Kook! How'd you get that car up there?
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:54 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Exactly! Whats holding it up there? Now thats my kind of shop. Lots of storage & room. And what a wing are you building. I find that wing building is the most challenging. Seems that straight is not in my universe, so I am becoming well versed in correcting an slightly unstraight wings with carefull final assembly.

Cheers, Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:41 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
The car on the mezzanine is a Ford LTD - here is its sister doing duty as a plane transporter and at the football. Just how old Southerncross got his car up there is a mystery - but there is another vehicle next to it. These blokes don't muck around.

The trick to making strait wings is to make a flat bench. Absolutely critical with gliders - my kind of planes. It's your engineering jig after all.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Closed Thread