SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:17 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2014
236 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a small fast boat

I brought a FT007 and it lasted ok for a few months before it died.

It gave me a lot of fun being small and fast it was great to zip around between running larger boats and I am looking for a replacement.

Now I could fix the FT007 only to have it die again, but ideally I would like something a little bigger and a little faster (but not much bigger) 40CM, 400MM 15.7 inches(ish)

Can anyone suggest a good boat to look out for.
Please note I am in New Zealand and finding particular models is a real challenge.
ParadoxNZ is offline Find More Posts by ParadoxNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
1,097 Posts
How about a Hobbyking Centurion?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50mm_ARTR.html

I have one and it's a very fast boat once you get it dialled in.
It likes smooth water though so if you don't have that, maybe get a mono hull like the Joysway Offshore Warrior, another very fast small boat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joysway-Offs.../dp/B0055NXALS
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:29 AM
Joined Feb 2014
236 Posts
I have smooth water, not a lot of experience with fast electrics thou so how hard is it to dial in the Centurion?

The Joysway looks interesting but not easy to get from the UK.

Great suggestions, do you have any more?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
1,097 Posts
I would definitely recommend the Centurion for smooth water then. It's not difficult to dial in, you just have to experiment a bit with battery position and propshaft angle. Once you've got that right, it flies. Start off with a 2S battery so it's a bit less frantic for learning to drive!

Joysway boats are available worldwide so I would bet you could pick one up in NZ. Don't buy the "Lite" version of the Warrior though, that has an ABS hull rather than fiberglass.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:44 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
Small bolt? Hobbyking.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2014
236 Posts
I am certainly considering that one 10x8.
I'm in no great hurry thou so will continue looking around for a bit longer.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:34 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,116 Posts
Hi Paradox,

The craftmanship on these cheap boats leaves a lot to be desired it's often very poor, with glass remains sticking out, piercing your fingers.

I've handled and driven both the Warrior and the Centurion; they both leaked badly and were hard to keep watertight.
The monohull was absolutely undrivable on 3S, on 2S it runs fine.

The Centurion definately is the quickest, as it'll handle 3S and run over 50 km/h.
The coupler with it's grubscrews is a point of attention in these boats, the flexshaft gets damaged after a few maintenance sessions.
Best get a collet style coupler right away.

In my opinion the Small Bolt is (marginally) better than both other boats.
If you like hydroplanes, there are better hulls available (which cost more) from Etti, R2Hobbies, Hydro& Marine, MHZ, etc.

Even on smooth water, bringing a fishing pole with a tennisball on the line is advisable...

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled