HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:55 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Build Log
Feibao 1/9.5 Eurofighter Typhoon 2x Kolibri T25

I post my thread from RCU here too, the first couple of posts are spread over some time, so it might seem a bit strange when they are posted in line, but here goes...

I bought one of the new(?!) Feibao Eurofighters at the Feibao stand at Jetpower 2012. It's approx scale 1/9.5 which makes is 1650mm long and 1200mm wingspan. It's also the Sportswagon version(2 seater) which I think looks better and I like the idea of more fuselage area for knifedge flying. It's advertised for EDF, either twin 90mm units or one 110mm unit such as Schubeler HST77 or Vasa 14blade 110mm. It can also be equipped with a 6kg thrust turbine.

However those setups tend to get too heavy for my taste so I choose another path going with twin Lambert Kolibri T25 engines. I will try to explain why in this thread.

This airplane seem pretty new under the sun and I have not found many flying. There are one present with a Vasa 110mm EDF, AUW 7000grams.(Demoed at jetpower) Another one with twin 90mm units are weighing in just under 6000grams. Looking around I also came across the red leader Eurofighter, but it's smaller and not really good to compare with. Another one is the Grumania 1/10 Eurofighter in simular size advertised at 7500grams fuled up with a single 6kg thrust turbine. That would make about 6500grams dry... I think I can beat that too.

The way it should work are that a single larger engine would be much lighter for the same thrust, however when reading the figures in the RCJI turbine test issue you find that a Jetcat P60(which for many is the obvious 6kg thrust choice) weights 870grams and provides 5800grams of thrust. In the Eurofighter it would need a bifurcated pipe which atleast do not increase the thrust, probably rather shave some of. The installed weight with 5mins of fuel are 2700grams according to RCJI.

The Lambert Kolibri T25 is a little power house for sure. For the twin T25's we are looking at a combined engine weight of just over 500grams and a thrust figure about the same as the P60. The dual engines will not need a bifurcated pipe. They will infact not need any pipe at all if I can manage the CG with them mounted in the rear which of course means the full thrust will be kept.

Now by chooseing compontents with care I think I can set this one up with a full house includeing gyro stabilisation and breaks alot lighter then what we see with EDF or single turbine.

The Eurofighter Sportswagon right out of the box, 2100grams.

henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:57 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
This is my first project where I tried to calculate the AUW even before the build started. I gatherd all components I was recomended to use in an excel file and made the computer sum it up. I found the excel sheet very helpful when playing with diffrent weights. I never thougt it would be this good to put it all in a list.

This is how it looks when I added all components I was recomended from the manual and from Jetpower.

Based on Lado retracts, Jet 1A lets/wheels and GBRjets electric breaks.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:57 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
I wan't happy with the weight of the components suggested in the manual. I see no point in useing standard sized servos when you can get the same performance from a much smaller unit now days. I remade my calculations with lighter yet good parts. The electric retracts had to go.

New calculation based on Futaba BLS servos, Jet 1A retracts from Savex L39, Break only on the front wheel and the engines mounted in the back(!)

Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:58 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
As the AUW seem to be low enough for the smaller Jet-1a spring airs I started drawing parts to be CNC milled at HAB. The G10 parts do add weight, so I still don't want to ass too much material, but as long as it's not behind the CG it's not too bad. Also the stock formers for the nose retract looked a bit on the weak side. When mounting the engines in the rear I also gain the possibility of haveing the fuel exactly on the CG, without fiddeling with split tanks mounted on the sides. Many of the parts I design has multiple features. The fuel tank holder also doubles as reinforcement for the fuselages bottom, where the nose gear retracts.

I like the way GZ mounts the steering servo, so I'm trying to incorporate that to my design too.

http://www.gz-retracts.com/

Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:59 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Some of the parts needed are getting ready for the router. It takes alot more time then you think to make everything fit. To get a proper view of things I do draw all components around too, not only the parts to be manufactured. A bit more work, but very much easier to get the whole picture, even for checking CG before the parts exsit IRL.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:59 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Another positive side of making all in CAD is that the 3D printer comes in handy

Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:11 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
very nice !!!
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:23 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Now all parts are drawn ready for the CNC router. My local dealer have a great router which is normally used for manufacturing multicopters used for firefighting or videoing other places where you don't want to be in person such as African wild life. For you who have read my previous build logs this it old news. Still worth alot to have access to a machine like this. Almost never are the supplied hardware right for you. Why use a control horn thats almost right when you can make one for your exact purposes? []

I hope the new parts will be in soon

CNC fräsning av tankarmatur hos www.hab.se (0 min 58 sec)

Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:15 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,736 Posts
Henke,

Are you still going with a GBR unit for the front brake or something else?
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:20 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Henke,

Are you still going with a GBR unit for the front brake or something else?
Yes, thats tha plan! I'm expecting to recive it any day now from Marc
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:38 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
The 3D puzzle from HAB is in!! Now I need to trim the attachment points from all parts and sand the surfaces that will be glued. And of course correct any misstakes I made when drawing the parts.

I think there will be only minor changes not needing another go in the CNC router. Expect more pics during the weekend. I bought a ZTE as a transfer phone until the Galaxy S4 is out but I think I need to get a Galaxy S3 meanwhile, blurry pix

Last edited by henke; Jan 18, 2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Very nice.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:09 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
After some preparation I've started the assembly of the CNC cut parts. They are puzzled together and fixed with thin CA-glue. I bought syringes in various sizes from www.dx.com, perfect for applying small amounts of CA in the right places. When glued the structures get insanely strong. Both turbine mount and tank mount doubles as reinforcement of the airframe.

Seems to fit well and from what I can tell CG seem to be in the right area too, even with the twin engines mounted far back. Everything is not in place but still good enough to choose this path for the project with fingers crossed []

Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
You put WAY too much work into your models !!! (lol) I have a tendency of just slapping them together so I can go fly. (but in a safe way)

Looking at the tail end.... you should have made the engine mounts on gimbles, so you could have vector thrust.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
You put WAY too much work into your models !!! (lol) I have a tendency of just slapping them together so I can go fly. (but in a safe way)

Looking at the tail end.... you should have made the engine mounts on gimbles, so you could have vector thrust.
I like the CAD part and I suck at freestyling with the scrollsaw, so the work put in is not too bad.

Gimbles might come next, first we need to se the AUW and the thrust of the engines. Hopefully Martin will upgrade my engines to the Super Kolibri spec when converting them to the new ECU. Then we'll see 15lb+ of thrust.