HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:32 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Discussion
Laddie's HORTON WINGLESS

Here is the scale model of American plane from 1952, designed by Bill Norton. From what I read, the full size plane made one flight in straight line only. The plane had retractable outer stubby wings.
I decided to build the model of this strange looking plane to see it in the air. The model is all balsa construction powered with two brushless motors. The wingspan is 48” including outer wing panels and the length is 34” from the nose to the end of elevons. The outer wing panels are removable. As on original, the elevons are hinged below the trailing edge. Initially I had lot of problems with the controls. On the first flight the model lift off and pointed the nose straight up. I had no control at all. I was lucky that the motors were able to make the model climb straight up. When the model was high enough, I reduced the power and intermittently got some control. Playing with the power, I was able to bring the model close to the ground and landed the plane hard. One nacelle broke off. I strongly suspected that the C/G was way off. Originally I had it on the main spar of the outer wings. Next day I moved the battery so the C/G moved 1” forward. That helped, but half the time the plane was controlling me. Somehow I managed to bring the model down with no damage. I moved the battery all the way into the nose. This time I got it. The plane is stable in all axis. I am surprised how effective the rudder is.
Now I have good flying model. Only thing I change was moving main landing gear 1” forward.
Here is one of the web sites dealing with this plane.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...80129#msg80129
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:13 PM
classicaero
oxford,MI
Joined Jul 2004
891 Posts
Congratulations Laddie, nice model, very unusal.
Allen
classicaero is offline Find More Posts by classicaero
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:38 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,151 Posts
Didn't it also use parts from other full size aircraft in it's structure?

Neat model, I like how you take chances and model some odd stuff....

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:54 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Mark.
The full size plane did used the whole nacelle including the engines and the outer wing panels from the CESSNA UC-78 (Bamboo Bomber).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Didn't it also use parts from other full size aircraft in it's structure?

Neat model, I like how you take chances and model some odd stuff....

Mark
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Jun 08, 2014, 04:15 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Horton Wingless Flying Body Design

Obviously the design had wings, but since they could be retracted and the airfoil shaped fuselage would fly well, it is a flying body design. Odd there isn't more follow up on this design that reminds me of a Pizza Box Flyer with a think airfoil. Wondering if someone has taken the basic PBF and designed an RC model that is closer to this one?
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 04, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Obviously the design had wings, but since they could be retracted and the airfoil shaped fuselage would fly well, it is a flying body design. Odd there isn't more follow up on this design that reminds me of a Pizza Box Flyer with a think airfoil. Wondering if someone has taken the basic PBF and designed an RC model that is closer to this one?
Well there are the Square Foot and Square Yard Planks.

Very nice model Laddie!!!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Nov 05, 2014, 04:51 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,767 Posts
Here's the original full size Horton, about 2 min in to the video --

Wingless Wonders (3 min 2 sec)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:39 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Horton Wingless

Interesting stuff and it does demonstrate some of the simplest models some of us like to fly have a history.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah