Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:01 AM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Video
Great Planes PBY - Initial Flights

Completed my first flights with my new Great Planes PBY.

I changed some of it and added a ROW Attempt.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Float Flyer
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Last edited by Float Flyer; Jun 17, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2007, 08:12 AM
Joined Dec 2005
5,408 Posts
Nice plane, nice vid. Camera person did a real nice job. Towards the end, was that the Nessie equivelant that she panned to, back behind the plane?
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:24 PM
It actually Flies!
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Thanks Much,

I had the CG pretty far forward so it really the PBY flys a little fast and actually reverse porposes somewhat.

THe big wave was from a "Dork Chariot" big speedboat that decided that he needed to chop up a perfectly calm lake. It did knock the water out of the hot tub, but got the PBY in before it swamped the little plane.

Float Flyer
Old Jun 17, 2007, 03:50 PM
It actually Flies!
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Added a quick ROW attempt at the beginning.

Sorry it is such a long video, but was a great day of flights!

FF
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Beautiful black cats & PBY's! I feel a war-story---oops, strike that, true-life experience, coming on!
About 1954, while working as an aircraft mechanic, the company next-door to ours started converting PBY-5A's into airborne yachts. I worked swing-shift, so if they had one out on a test-flight, it might be returning as I was arriving for work. Talk about slow! You could hear those old R-1830s coming from miles away! And coming- getting a little louder!-- still coming! Well, if you've ever had the Goodyear blimp fly by, you get the picture. (They were actually approaching at 80 knots)!
It was my very good fortune that a former Black Cat Aviator, whose employer was having one of the aerial yachts made up, for a tour of the South Pacific, came to work on my crew, while the PBY work was being done.
As we got to know each other, he, (I wish I remembered his name), shared the story of one of his missions, during WWII.
It seems there was an Imperial Japanese Naval repair base, on an island with a good harbor, where large ships could tie up. U.S. Naval Intelligence set up a mission for a single Black Cat to fly a very long mission, to attack the base. Owing to its 80kt. speed, and noise, the plan was to fly low to the water, go around the island, and approach from the opposite side, using the island's central mountainous spine for cover, then pop up over the hills, dive on the ships, then, at wave-top altitude, proceed straight out to sea, and home.
It worked! My friend said that when the old Cat crested the ridge, that harbor was lit up, bright as day! Flood-lights, welding torches, sparks! Those ships could not be missed! As he put it; "We blasted the hell out of 'em!"
Love those Cats!
Lancer31 is online now Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
It actually Flies!
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
These planes definately had a great career in their day. I always thought that the CAT would make a great flying, floating moterhome!

Great Story!

Cheers!

FF