Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Build Log
GWS-T6 Build Thread and Flight Report

Well, the postman tried to deliver my kit yesterday, but there was nobody home to sign for it. So instead I went today and picked it up from the post office. This will be a highly detailed build thread, followed by a flight performance report as soon as she's airworthy.

Here's the setup that I plan on using initially:

2408-21 brushless outrunner (BP21)
CC ThunderBird-18A ESC
TP 1320 3S pro-lite lipo
A mix of TowerPro and Hitec 9g servos (depends on what I have on hand)
GWS 9075HD prop
Receiver - XtremeLink 8-ch Rx (I will switch to a 6-ch Rx from this company once they become available next month)

I have pondered paint schemes for some time. I don't want an airframe that's all yellow or mostly silver, so I've decided on the old PT-17 type scheme. A blue fuse, yellow wings and tail, and the red & white striped rudder. The airframe will be Testor's rattle can. I'm only concerned with stand-off scale, so true scale details will not be that important to me. All I want is a plane that flies well and looks good in the air.

Here's some pics from Wings Palette that I will use as a guide for the final scheme.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 29, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:39 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
The first order of business was to get all the parts out and inspect them. Once again, the foam quality is outstanding, such as with the recent new additions from GWS. This kit has a few new surprises though:

- The decals are now waterslide (thank you GWS!).

- The cowling is securd using snap-on button tabs, no more screws through hard plastic.

- The battery hatch is an excellent set-up, and we now have plenty of room for our lipos.

I decided that I would weigh the parts to see what I get before starting construction. Here's the breakdown:

Fuse - 1.9oz, 55gr
Wing - 2.9oz, 83gr
Horiz Stab - .3oz, 9gr
Vert Stab - .2oz, 6gr
Cowl (after trimming) - .4oz, 11 gr
Canopy (after trimmimng) - .4oz, 11gr
Battery hatch - .1oz, 2gr
Hardware* - 2.6oz, 74gr

Total weight - 8.8oz, 251gr

* Hardware includes all pieces need to complete the kit, including pushrods, control horns, screws, etc.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 28, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:46 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
To begin construction, I started by sanding down all the major parts. The top surfaces have the tiny "dimples" in the foam, which on this kit look like rivets as they are alone the major panel lines. It would have been great to leave them as is, but unfortunately they are WAY too large. I took a piece of 240 grit sandpaper and knocked them down.

The bottom surfaces have the typical "flowers" and other mold marks that we are accustomed too. This got a good workout from the sandpaper as well. Once all was said and done, my surfaces were nice and smooth. It did not take a lot of effort to do this.

Pat
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:59 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Building starts with the wings. There are two panels, and they join together in standard GWS fashion. Some GWS glue, a little tape, and all's well. Next I cut out the ailerons, hinged them, and glued them in place (and added the control horns).

Next I glued in the 3 fiberglass wing reinforcement rods, along with part C5. The good thing about C5 is that GWS has now added additional plastic on the rear portion for added strength. I have had this piece split before on older GWS models. Nice improvement here!

ATTENTION - First deviation from the manual. Based on older GWS builds, I decided NOT to glue part C2 to the wing leading edge just yet as described in step 1.8. If you've ever built a GWS kit before, this piece usually does not get glued in until the fuse is together, and the female counterpart of this piece (C1) is glued in place. Then C2 is placed in and the back of it makes a mark in the wing foam to be used as a guide for gluing it on (so that the wing is lined up). It's quite possible that GWS does this differently now as the molding is much more accurate, but I decided not to take the chance.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 28, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Next is the landing gear. I'm going to go ahead and build mine stock with the gear attached. I may try retracts later on, but will do fixed gear for now.

These are similar to the P-38 landing gear. Nice foam wheels and spoked wheel hubs. All you do is cut two 5mm lengths of the included hard black tubing and insert them onto the axel, then slide the wheels on and secure with part A3.

As I learned with my P-38 builds, the screws that hold the gear in part C3 are a little too big for the holes. In order to help that, I took a 5/64" drill bit and opened up the two holes I used. The screws now go in much easier, and still have good holding strength. I did not yet glue the landing gear assemblies into the wing. This will be done once the wing is painted.

Pat
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Next is the fuselage. GWS has come up with another improvement. There is now a brace for the control rod tubes towards the front where they terminate behind the servos. This is a nice touch as on past models I've used scrap foam to brace the tubes with. Plus, the tubes are pre-cut to the proper length.

So with the tubes glued in, you glue the nut into part C6 for the wing mount, and then glue that into the fuse.

And now the next innovation from GWS. You have a choice of where to put the motor mount stick based on the system you will us. I found that my stick needed to be to the far left when looking at the firewall, so that with the motor turned sideways, it was right on the centerline. GWS includes some foam block fillers to fill the gap left once you glue your stick in. All you do is cut the foam (it makes two pieces), and use one for fill as needed.

Next I glued the fuse halves together, and then added the thick plastic firewall. On the P-38, I found that the firewall helps keep the stick in place in the event of a nose over or crash. And unlike the P-38, using the firewall on the AT-6 is not optional as the front of the battery hatch locks into it.

ATTENTION - As described in post #4, C2 was not glued into the wing leading edge yet. In addition, GWS has inadvertantly left out the steps to glue C1 to the fuse, and then the procedure for gluing C2 onto the wing leading edge. Here was my suggestion to Chen for the added steps:

3.6. Glue C1 to the fuselage as shown.

3.7. Using a 1/8" drill bit, remove foam from the openings in C1.

3.8. Place C2 into C1 (do NOT glue).

3.9. Press wing firmly into wing saddle and then remove.

3.10. Glue C2 to wing leading edge using marks as a guide.

This completes the fuselage assmembly.

Pat
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:43 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Next come the tail surfaces. First you start with the horizontal stabilizer and elevators. The elevators are joined in the typical GWS fashion by using a "U" bent piece of wire. However, another kit improvement is that GWS has molded in the wire location on the bottom of the control surfaces. Before cutting the control surfaces away from the stabilizer, you simply glue the wire in place. At the same time, you glue in the fiberglass support rod and the control horn.

I used GWS glue as much as possible in this build, but on the support rods and control horns I used 5-minute epoxy.

Next you cut away the control surfaces, hinge, and then glue the entire assembly to the fuse. DO NOT put glue on the rear most portion of the fuse as that is an attach point for the verticle stab. As of this writing, the manual shows putting glue all the way back. Dry fit the horizontal stab first to determine where the glue should go.

Next, cut the rudder from the vertical stab and glue the vertical stab to the fuse. Then assemble the tailwheel, hinge the rudder and glue it all together.

Pat
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
The next two items indicate more innovations from GWS. The battery hatch has a new locking clip technique. You glue C10 to the front of the hatch, and Latch A to the rear. Then Latch B is glued to the fuse just forward of the front windscreen. C10 locks into the firewall, and the latch system locks the battery hatch in place.

EDIT - See post #26 for comments on the fit of the battery hatch, and my 2 proposed methods of construction.

The other item is the new cowling attachment method. This system uses ball-shaped latches to secure the cowling. The receptors are glued to the fuse, then the appropriate holes are cut into the cowling. To secure it, you simply line the cowling holes up with the receptors and snap in the latches. To remove, you simply pry them off. No mores screws!

EDIT - Roger Lombard and I have discovered a problem with the new ball snaps. It's possible that these can come dislodged (and possibly lost) when the cowling gets bumped. Here's a tip Roger posted, and I'm sharing it here as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Incidentally a tip when you do come to use them. DON'T use a drill the size of the ball. Use an undersize drill and then you can you can "pop" them through the hole and they will then be captive which reduces (but does not eliminate) the chance of losing them.
And with this, assembly is now complete for the most part. Next is to add the electronics, which I will tackle tomorrow. At this point, I have about 7 hours into the build.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; May 01, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
I'm an Arizona WingNut!
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Jan 2007
317 Posts
You didn't waste any time did you? Looks good, cant wait to see it fly!
IFLYRCAZ is offline Find More Posts by IFLYRCAZ
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:32 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Next weekend!

Pat
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:50 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,817 Posts
I see you have put a few other kits aside to do this one. Looks great even though it is foam. You are getting to be a pro builder!
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:36 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Nice job Pat
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Apr 29, 2007, 02:05 AM
damn you tree!
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2005
231 Posts
be sure to let us know if this is a "faster" airframe... Mr. Lin assures me this will be one of the best performers yet....

keep up the good work and let us know all your custom mods! I definately prefer your choice in paint schemes....
roballoba is offline Find More Posts by roballoba
Old Apr 29, 2007, 02:30 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,086 Posts
Qrome,

Don't worry, the SB28 will get completed shortly.

roballoba, since the build is actually complete, there will be no further mods. I got some of the electronics in tonight, so all that's left is painting and decals.

Pat
Old Apr 29, 2007, 04:03 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
I am painting mine tomorrow. Will start work tonight...just got back from work
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H