HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which AS3X UMX Plane is most wind tolerant?
Beast 3D 4 50.00%
Gee Bee 2 25.00%
Carbon Cub 0 0%
Mig15 2 25.00%
Spitfire 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
AS3X Gee Bee vs Beast - Wind

Which AS3X UMX plane is most tolerant to the wind? The Gee Bee, Beast, Carbon Cub, MiG 15, or spitfire?
comp666 is offline Find More Posts by comp666
Last edited by comp666; Mar 09, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:40 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Well we only have 2 of these now, the Beast 3D and the Gee Bee and the Beast handles wind far better than the gee bee. When flying my beast, it's not too noticeable when gusts kick in, but the gee bee on the other hand gets tossed around a lot more. I'd imagine out of all of these though the MiG will probably handle wind the best due to it's speed.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
oops I didn't realize the others weren't released. Thanks for the beast / gee bee comparison!
comp666 is offline Find More Posts by comp666
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:58 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Somehow, the Carbon Cub look a lot like the Champ, so when they will all be out, I'm betting on the Cub to be the best in the wind. And when flying in the wind, slowing down for landing is always an issue, so having the wing way up is always a plus anyway!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:02 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,513 Posts
Beast flys better than any Cub or should I say an experienced pilot is alot more in control with a Beast or any decent bi-plane than with a Cub even an overpowered one.

If the OP really meant to ask which wouled be easiest for a beginner to fly in the winds or which one can handle the most wind being flown by an experiened pilot then as most polls are the question is wordered incorrectly IMO.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:45 AM
Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
I find my Gee Bee a little easier to deal with in the wind. I don't know if it's because it weighs a little more than my Beast or what. I will say that a good strong gust will toss the Gee Bee a bit more due to that pudgy airframe and massive frontal area. The beast can shrug off most of that due to it's slimmer profile and lower drag.

Still, for me, the Gee Bee just feels as if it's more stable and recovers better.
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LLFC in the Boston Globe
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:07 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Beast flys better than any Cub or should I say an experienced pilot is alot more in control with a Beast or any decent bi-plane than with a Cub even an overpowered one.
Well, I'm betting on the AS3X receiver being in control here, not on who's in control. I hate that the Cub has some dihedral, but overall, I still think that from all those airplanes, it should be the best, overall, no matter what pilot is behind the stick. The Mig should be interesting as well, but being an EDF, I have to fly it first before I bet on it!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:39 AM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
My beast is faaarr better than my gee bee in the wind. That being said, my durafly slick micro 360 from hobbyking with an as3x (beast) board in it is handling the wind as well, if not better than my beast. Its one of my favorite planes to fly right now.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,704 Posts
Why is there no choice for the first Beast? I will fly my First beast in any wind you got.
Have not flown the gee bee or the new MIG but I would think the MIG should be a great windy day plane just cause it should be fast for its size.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc