Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:44 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocitelli View Post
I'm putting together my second EasyStar and last night when checking all my wiring/connections, I plugged in the esc to the battery and got this weird clicking sound. Power was going to the receiver (new Spectrum), but it wasn't blinking like it should for me to bind my transmitter to.

I couldn't tell where the clicking was coming from, it was either the ESC or the batter to esc connection. I had just finished soldering a new ec3 connector to the esc to plug into the batter, double checked my polarity which was correct, etc.

After 3 or 4 times of unplugging and replugging in the battery, the connection at the ec3 smoked and my battery got really hot. I'm suspecting the polarity on the esc might actually be wrong. Black wire is usually negative and red is positive and I had it all right, but now I'm wondering if the Thunder 18 Castle Creations esc's wiring was reversed.

Any ideas - my lipo is probably toast and I suspect the esc too.... What's weird is the light on the receiver was going on, so it was definitely getting power through the system.

Stumped....
I'm afraid that I'm a bit stumped with this one too. Maybe you could offer a picture of your whole setup just before plugging your battery in?

I wouldn't think that the fault would belong to your ESC, though. If it were some unbranded thing coming out of the depths of cheap Asian factories, I might believe it. But Castle makes good stuff and I'd always trust their equipment.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi, I'm an RC Plane addict
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Yes, just like that picture. Red lead on the bottom, black on top.
Connected Red to positive and black to negative. Yes, is is a
1800 3S Lipo also.
Pocitelli is offline Find More Posts by Pocitelli
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
must be a short in the connector somehow.. (if the EC3 smoked)
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
I think you're right, the clicking may have been some sort of arcing of the connection in the ec3 connector.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
i couldn't see the liftof
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Red lead as shown here, or other way up? Silly question maybe, but was it a 3s LiPo?

Ashton

Can you post a close up of the picture. I can't tell but it looked like I saw a + sign on the black wire insulation just before the solder joint on the ESC.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Apr 01, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:51 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
I got My EZ flying again today- had a couple decent flights on it- glued my rudder control rod to Horiz stab where it was flexing and replaced my control horn that was broke on my elevator-- also went from 6x4 prop to 6x5.5- everything seems to work and the plane turns both directions again. No real big difference noticed with prop switch- 2200kv motor.

Poticelli- Bummer on your wiring dude...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Ashton

Can you post a close up of the picture. I can't tell but it looked like I saw a + sign on the black wire insulation just before the solder joint on the ESC.
According to the user guide the red is positive.
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nderbirds.html
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:38 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
With all castle creations that I own mybe 10 red is pos .

Plus I would think the esc or bat would smoke before a connector be it any kind of connector.
I have never heard of a connector smoking.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
According to the user guide the red is positive.
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nderbirds.html
Gene

I understand your train of thought. According to the standards of DC voltage Red is always positive and Black is always negative unless someone who did the wiring assembly did not pay attention and mixed it up.

I have seen incorrect wiring practices numerous times. I thought maybe someone made a mistake this time.

The issue was probably a loose connection which arced and fed back into the ESC. Which is too bad for Pocitelli
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Sorry Vince - that pic came direct from the CC website - I think I see what you mean though.

Still working on the ground-up restoration of son's HS - ye gods, the epoxy is a slow dryer! (but strong as an ox when it gets there )

With a few evenings of care, it might even be airworthy again

Had some time to work on the theory of Universal Landing Gear MkII last night..

Steel and CF tube are out - they really don't mix well. I've picked up a set of the landing gear axle-holder thingies from LHS and am going to try Inanimate Carbon Rod (3mm, to be exact) - just need a few circlips now.

Should be ready for testing by Easter weekend - weather not looking good though
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:00 AM
Wingbreaker
Italy, Lazio, Albano Laziale
Joined Oct 2008
156 Posts
Hello, greatings to everybody here. Nice huge (series) thread.
I purchased an EZstar MK1. It was in sale and come up for a nice price, so it's time to join the group of EZ flyers.
I want to equip it for FPV so I have a couple of questions before starting building it. I've read a lot of posts, very helpful but at least a couple of answers were unanswered.

1- First the motor. There is a little clearance for the prop and I have understood that the max usable (without cutting a slot) is a 6". I have several motors to use, including a Suppo like 2212-06 2200Kv, an EMAX 2212 1600Kv and others with lower Kv. My doubt is that the Suppo is by far too powerful and mabe the 2212 fits better. The real doubt is that with a so little propo the efficiency will be low. What would be the max flying time with a 3s 2200mAh? Is it there a better solution?

2- I've read that many people use to cut the two sections below the wing to have more sace to fit things. Do this weakens the fuselage? I think yes and will be less crash resistant. Your experience?

I'm thinking of not gluing the fuselage for the first flights until I'll have a better idea of the best config and weight distribution. At first I'd like to mount it using some fibre tape. It should be strong enough to keep the fuse on even it will add some weight. Correct?

Thanks for your support.

Al
asimmetrico is offline Find More Posts by asimmetrico
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:01 AM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmetrico View Post
Hello, greatings to everybody here. Nice huge (series) thread.
I purchased an EZstar MK1. It was in sale and come up for a nice price, so it's time to join the group of EZ flyers.
I want to equip it for FPV so I have a couple of questions before starting building it. I've read a lot of posts, very helpful but at least a couple of answers were unanswered.

1- First the motor. There is a little clearance for the prop and I have understood that the max usable (without cutting a slot) is a 6". I have several motors to use, including a Suppo like 2212-06 2200Kv, an EMAX 2212 1600Kv and others with lower Kv. My doubt is that the Suppo is by far too powerful and mabe the 2212 fits better. The real doubt is that with a so little propo the efficiency will be low. What would be the max flying time with a 3s 2200mAh? Is it there a better solution?

2- I've read that many people use to cut the two sections below the wing to have more space to fit things. Do this weakens the fuselage? I think yes and will be less crash resistant. Your experience?

I'm thinking of not gluing the fuselage for the first flights until I'll have a better idea of the best config and weight distribution. At first I'd like to mount it using some fibre tape. It should be strong enough to keep the fuse on even it will add some weight. Correct?

Thanks for your support.

Al
1. A 2200 kv rating (kv is roughly analogous to the "gear" in an automobile transmission) is good for that size prop and the speed of the Easy Star. A higher or lower rating will be less effective. My approach is to copy what someone else has done and make adjustments in the direction I wish to go. But there are calculator programs available that will predict performance. Remember though, that any single number is not the whole story on "power" - there are several variables that interact.

2. The key here is whether the weakness you've introduced is significant. Cutting anything does reduce its strength somewhat. You can often cut things in the middle of a structure so long as the outer edges are intact. That's why trusses work, and why electricians cut holes for wires in the middle of studs instead of toward the edges.

3. The RR version comes taped instead of glued. That's how I would do it.
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:04 AM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
I don't crash as much now and....
Be careful what you say - you're tempting the gremlins. Only yesterday the words "Watch this" slipped out while I was flying and we all know what happens next. Fortunately it was only an old Stryker and not my beautiful blue-wing Easy Star.
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett