HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:25 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
There is a ton of info on this subject and everything else you want to know about 9X. Search Turnigy 9X and er9X. You can search posts by Markus123456 too. He is quite an expert on the 9X. I run my RL from the module pins and use the 9X battery which was upgraded to a LiPo. The whole set up will run for over 3 hours on that battery. You can also go to the king of 9X forums, http://9xforums.com/forum/index.php?...c34b815c5c9568 Btw, I don't believe you need a pull up resistor if you have a new RL Tx. Sid took care of this with a circuit change on the later Tx's.
Best,
Steven
Thanks. I have done just about every online mod on the T9X, was just looking for RL interfacing info. How did you connect to the pins in the back of the T9X? I am trying to find a 5 pinned servo style connector to get a good fit on the module pins. Have any pics of yours or link as to where i can get one?
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
Thanks. I have done just about every online mod on the T9X, was just looking for RL interfacing info. How did you connect to the pins in the back of the T9X? I am trying to find a 5 pinned servo style connector to get a good fit on the module pins. Have any pics of yours or link as to where i can get one?
See here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417350

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Markus, i have already been exchanging posts with you on that thread, but thanks anyway! I am not looking to destroy my 2.4ghz module. i may be interested in doing your most recent switch mod where u can change between 2.4 and uhf and keep both installed, but until i do that, i may simply pull out my 2.4ghz module, and connect the rangelink directly to the exposed module pins on the radio. i need a servo style connector with atleast 4 (or 5) pins to make that happen. where do i find this connector?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Markus, i have already been exchanging posts with you on that thread, but thanks anyway! I am not looking to destroy my 2.4ghz module. i may be interested in doing your most recent switch mod where u can change between 2.4 and uhf and keep both installed, but until i do that, i may simply pull out my 2.4ghz module, and connect the rangelink directly to the exposed module pins on the radio. i need a servo style connector with atleast 4 (or 5) pins to make that happen. where do i find this connector?
I'm pretty sure digikey or Mouser would carry them, but I don't have a partnumber.

Btw, asuming you have a t9x and not a flysky / eurgle, takeing the module out will break it already as the antenna coax cable does not have a plug.

Markus
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure digikey or Mouser would carry them, but I don't have a partnumber.

Btw, asuming you have a t9x and not a flysky / eurgle, takeing the module out will break it already as the antenna coax cable does not have a plug.

Markus
already completed this mod as well. i actually went as far as to to drill a hole in my T9X module and mount a bulk head SMA connector on it. Now i simply screw a 2.4ghx router type antenna to the module and i am good to go... true modularity.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiau Pa
Joined Dec 2006
665 Posts
Quote:
already completed this mod as well. i actually went as far as to to drill a hole in my T9X module and mount a bulk head SMA connector on it. Now i simply screw a 2.4ghx router type antenna to the module and i am good to go... true modularity.
Great idea! I will do that and just join two regular servo plugs together somehow with heatshrink and glue perhaps, and snip off or block the 6th unneeded socket to plug into the module socket pins.

Not sure how I'll fit the uhf module or what hardware it comes with to fit, but theres always velcro for a quick fit and disconnect option.
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrawfords67 View Post
On Sunday my fpv plane took off for a fun flight above the fog. I did a pre-flight check and all controls were responding as normal. After about 200 meters the plane lost connection to the transmitter which was a Dx8 with a rangelink and flew off at 8.5 A. Both the Tx and Rx are only a few weeks old. The plane basically flew till the battery was exhausted and ended up at 2200 feet high and 22,000 feet away when it finally glided down and crashed. Luckily it had a GPS locator on board so after a 30 minute drive I got it back. The failsafe is set at 0% throttle, so I could not understand why it flew off at 8.5 amps ? Clearly even if it had lost connection it should have defaulted to the failsafe which it did not do. I put a fresh pack in and tested the failsafe, and it was working fine and would cut the power when I disconnected the rangelink. After checking the antenna, I flew it LOS about 300 meters away and everything was fine. Then after much deliberation I put a new pack in and flew it 2km out, and all was fine.

Previously this UHF kit had flown out 4Km no problem, so I considered it properly tested.

I have just spent the last 30 minutes trying to recreate the problem on my bench. but could not. I am no FPV newbie, and this is my second UHF set (I used to have the original chainlink). Now my original chainlink used to have a dodgy failsafe, and if you kept swapping packs it would give half throttle instead of hitting the failsafe. I know Sid improved the Rx software for this very problem with the Chainlink system. Has anyone else had this problem, and had a fly-away rangelink plane?

Its worth saying I don't monitor RSSI, and no I don't think this is an antenna problem. The whole Rangelink kit is only a few weeks old, and was on back order so I assume I have the latest Rx software.
Very strange no one else has had this problem....Sid any comment ?
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrawfords67 View Post
On Sunday my fpv plane took off for a fun flight above the fog. I did a pre-flight check and all controls were responding as normal. After about 200 meters the plane lost connection to the transmitter which was a Dx8 with a rangelink and flew off at 8.5 A. Both the Tx and Rx are only a few weeks old. The plane basically flew till the battery was exhausted and ended up at 2200 feet high and 22,000 feet away when it finally glided down and crashed. Luckily it had a GPS locator on board so after a 30 minute drive I got it back. The failsafe is set at 0% throttle, so I could not understand why it flew off at 8.5 amps ? Clearly even if it had lost connection it should have defaulted to the failsafe which it did not do. I put a fresh pack in and tested the failsafe, and it was working fine and would cut the power when I disconnected the rangelink. After checking the antenna, I flew it LOS about 300 meters away and everything was fine. Then after much deliberation I put a new pack in and flew it 2km out, and all was fine.

Previously this UHF kit had flown out 4Km no problem, so I considered it properly tested.

I have just spent the last 30 minutes trying to recreate the problem on my bench. but could not. I am no FPV newbie, and this is my second UHF set (I used to have the original chainlink). Now my original chainlink used to have a dodgy failsafe, and if you kept swapping packs it would give half throttle instead of hitting the failsafe. I know Sid improved the Rx software for this very problem with the Chainlink system. Has anyone else had this problem, and had a fly-away rangelink plane?

Its worth saying I don't monitor RSSI, and no I don't think this is an antenna problem. The whole Rangelink kit is only a few weeks old, and was on back order so I assume I have the latest Rx software.
Sorry to hear about the trouble. You did not told us if you FORCED a failsafe by also turning off the transmitter power? I mean, asuming something with the PPM signal as it was generated by the tx, or a general tx firmware error also could lead to a phenomeon like this. What I'm trying to say is are you sure the RL tx module was not still all the time sucessfully transmitting "a signal" to the plane?

Sorry if it's all obvious, but after carefully reading your report, something like a transmitter (not module) failure can't be excluded IMHO.

Could you elaborate?

Markus
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,122 Posts
Ya, I had the same thought. That somehow the Tx was actually transmitting the same frame
forever due to a glitch in the PPM stream, and thus the Rx never knew to go to failsafe.
If you want guaranteed failsafe behavior, have to turn then Tx off.

Do also keep in mind that after you first bind an Rx, there is no preset failsafe. It just
holds last position if it loses the signal. That's actually a feature as that's more useful
for some applications than preset positions. When you say you came back and tested
failsafe function, did you do it by setting a new failsafe, or by just turning the Tx off,
having changed nothing since the flight?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:39 AM
Latvija
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1691
I also had this problem. And a new type of SMA ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1074 ) has stopped working. The signal disappeared in the 200m. Signal pin began to move and lost the connection.
I bought a new SMA solder, the stronger the signal pin.
janissav is offline Find More Posts by janissav
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:50 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,122 Posts
You're saying the new type connector had the same problem as the old one I showed?
That's not good. What exactly did you replace it with?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
765 Posts
Are you guys removing the antenna when not in use? This would cause issues with the SMA connectors, they wear out when constantly screwing and unscrewing them. Has me wondering if that is causing the issue. I have had my antenna on since I got my RL and haven't had an issue. (Knock on wood)
MASHTON is online now Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
39 Posts
I get very occasional Failsafe glitches showing on my DOSD with the RL rx and DX8. Its just a half second flash of failsafe and happens maybe once every other flight. I never remove my Tx antenna and my reciever antenna connection is taped on so I can't imagine thats come loose.
Is it possible this is just some missed data in the PPM stream? Does anyone else get this?
allfiredup is offline Find More Posts by allfiredup
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
Latvija
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You're saying the new type connector had the same problem as the old one I showed?
That's not good. What exactly did you replace it with?

ian
Yes, http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1335406024 The new connector to me after 10 doses (antenna removing / attaching) had no connection with the "female receptacle".

I changed the SMA solder connection. Perhaps not a perfect solution, but works well.

MASHTON, Yes, I removing the antenna when not use, so the injured SMA connection. T9X radio with antenna, I can not put radio storage case.
janissav is offline Find More Posts by janissav
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Apr 2008
299 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the trouble. You did not told us if you FORCED a failsafe by also turning off the transmitter power? I mean, asuming something with the PPM signal as it was generated by the tx, or a general tx firmware error also could lead to a phenomeon like this. What I'm trying to say is are you sure the RL tx module was not still all the time sucessfully transmitting "a signal" to the plane?

Sorry if it's all obvious, but after carefully reading your report, something like a transmitter (not module) failure can't be excluded IMHO.

Could you elaborate?

Markus
Just to clarify after 10 minutes of the plane flying out of control, I swapped the Ranglink 3s power pack for another one. I turned the Dx8 on and off (as well as the rangelink). I even tried another radio (a JR one) in-case the problem was the ppm stream, and nothing helped. It took around 25 minutes for the planes main battery to run out and the plane to crash land.

The problem is not just that it lost connection, but that it would not re-establish connection again. Also the biggest problem was the receiver did not go into the fail-safe that it was programmed to (with no throttle). I confirmed this when I finally got the plane back. At that time the failsafe was performing as expected when I removed the 3.5mm jack from the Dx8 (effectively disconnecting the PPM stream from the ranglink.) As I said I later that day flew the plane out 2km with no problems.

Its as though the Rx software crashed ?
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67