Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:24 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,681 Posts
Question
Full house Sagitta 900?

Last season I cracked up my Sagitta 900 doing damage to one wing, and minor damage to the fuselage. It's repairable, but will require major open heart surgery on one of the wings. I'm also contemplating an e-conversion, but I know that's for another forum.

Anyway, I know full house Sagittas have been done before. I built an aileron 600 back in the 80's, but I can't seem to find any good build logs or 'hints and tips' references on RCG. I have no problem engineering the conversion myself, just thought I'd ask anyone out there for helpful ideas before I tear into it.

Thanks,

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:15 AM
Greenville, SC
Joined Jul 2007
72 Posts
I can't help you on your Sagitta but I'll watch the thread to see what comes up. I am building a Cumic from a Plus kit and will be adding ailerons and flaps on a flat wing so maybe we could share some ideas. I know that the wing construction is a little different between the two but, since we are both re-engineering, perhaps there will be some helpful overlap.
mocgp is offline Find More Posts by mocgp
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:12 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,086 Posts
I wouldn't bother, the Sagitta 900 as a RES plane was a fantastic model ... most of the flatwing conversions I saw benefited from the following (the bent wings also benefit, if truth be told )
  1. Increase tail boom length
  2. Increase nose length (help offset tailboom extension)
  3. Remove "balanced" portion of rudder (convert to fixed fin/rudder)
  4. Replace "diamond" stab with full airfoiled stab (NACA0009 or similar)
  5. Make the flaps and ailerons the same chord so you can camber the entire trailing edge the same for launch and cambered flight.
  6. Consider fully sheeting the wings, or at least the main panels
tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:20 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Back in '96 when I was at Purdue there was a guy who had a 6 servo Sagitta 900. I thought it was one of the coolest planes I had ever seen. Always wanted to build one.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,681 Posts
Ryan, are you stalking me?

tk - I've actually already made the 'popular' mods to the Sagitta including 3 and 4 above in your post, and yes, it was a sweet flying airplane carrying me to the local club championship last year. However, I've 'been there, done that' in terms of the bent wing Sagitta and frankly now have a couple of other RES planes that can out-perform her anyway. If I rebuilt it as a bent wing, it probably wouldn't get much air time. That's why I'm thinking of the full-house conversion instead as something different.

I like the idea of making flaps/ailerons the same chord. However, does the forward sweep of the outer panels make a difference when it comes to the camber/reflex effect? I wouldn't think so, but just asking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:42 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
Ryan, are you stalking me?
Yes.

You do a lot of stuff related to building gliders and I also enjoy building gliders.

Been a long time since I saw that full house Sagitta 900 and it would be cool to see another one. At the time I thought it was the perfect plane. Too bad even then it was out of production.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:49 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,086 Posts
I think you can pretty much disregard the sweep issues at this span/Reynolds numbers.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:26 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Jan 2009
67 Posts
Hi Guys

Not really thread related but, I just scored a NIB Sagitta 900 and before I start building it, can you guys direct me to a build thread or a mod thread for this airplane?

Thanks

Blake
kenda1 is offline Find More Posts by kenda1
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,681 Posts
Do a search for Sagitta 900 improvements or modifications. You will find many.
RCG Plus Member