HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2001, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
Aveox says controller (L360) is in the mail.
Have seen your "motor on" problem...

Saving $ for a Schulze 80f0 for 27 cell system.
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2001, 06:46 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Sirius and L260 controller failure..

For those wondering what happens if you drain a matched and zapped 12 cell 2400RC pack in 2 minutes thru an F12 with an RFM 14.5x14 prop..

The airframe holds up quite nicely, thank you. Kind of fun to run full throttle for that length of time. The cells were not as hot as I expected (but still nice and toasty). I did a few pylon-like turns and it didn't bother it one bit. Landing with the prop still spinning slowely worried me, but it flipped up out of the way no problem.

Tested the motor after (uneventuful) landing, same deal, responds to throttle, but as soon as you hit max, it stays at full - had to pull the pack to stop it.

Sigh.. off to Aveox, I guess.. Perhaps I'll just jump to the F27 and my F5HV? I've had my fun with 12 cells, after all..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 14, 2001, 08:50 PM
Indialantic, FL
Joined Dec 2000
420 Posts

Hi Andy, your not the first with this problem. I've heard other people with the same complain using the same controller. I own several L260 but I'm using the L160 with my Sirus so far so good. Perhaps you should check with aveox to see what they have to say.
I will be relocating to Augusta, GA this July. I hope to meet you.

rafaelABN is offline Find More Posts by rafaelABN
Old Apr 14, 2001, 08:51 PM
DLK
Grand Rapids MI United States
Joined Nov 2000
35 Posts
Andy, I thought you can only run 10 second full throttle bursts to altitude because of power limit on controller and then glide. Am I wrong? I am getting ready to fly my Sirus with same motor,pack, but with a L160 controller. Dave
DLK is offline Find More Posts by DLK
Old Apr 14, 2001, 08:56 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Yes, with the power system I have in it, level flight at full throttle for more than a couple of systems is probably not a good idea. That's why I'm pleased it survived so well..
Thank goodness it wasn't the F27!
..a
Old Apr 14, 2001, 10:02 PM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Mar 2000
400 Posts
Andy,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties....call Wayne Tolbert or Dave Palumbo at Aveox. They are fully aware of this problem and might just swap you controllers. At the least they will upgrade the L260 to a "C" (competition) controller. (bigger FET's)
jimmy6819 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy6819
Old Apr 14, 2001, 10:15 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The FET's are fine, but it would be nice to get a 'C'. My concern is (if you read eswenson's post the other day) that they were out of controllers and binned his, but told him he'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for his replacement.
Of course, this belongs in Consumer, where I have already opened a thread too..
Interestingly, I got the first climb out of it OK, about 6 seconds I think. Glided for a few seconds to feel it out, then when I punched it again, it went to full on and stayed there. I don't think I even ran for 2 minutes, so the draw unloaded was higher than I had figured.
..a
Old Apr 16, 2001, 05:35 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
The big thing is the plane survived!

Have you called CC. I will bet he has a controller that will work for you and at 1/2 the aveox size and weight! He said a 70 amp is easy, that should surge too 100 easy, but not far a whole pack.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 16, 2001, 10:08 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Yeah but if it failed I bet I'd get a replacement in a hurry!
My comments on attempting to get this resolved are in the consumer forum where they belong.

I'm still astounded at the airframe. Built for 27 cells, however, so I guess I shouldn't be..
..a
Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:05 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
Andy,

Inspect for crack on the Elevator. I have been warned by friend who has a Sirius that the stab mounting bolt pull thru the stab.The recess for the mounting bolts are the problem area.It was suggested to beef up the bottom of the stab at the center with some carbon cloth.
Also put a ring of carbon tow inside the fuselage right behind the wing openning.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:07 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The L260/F12 are on their way to Aveox.
I have an E-fly to attend next weekend (28th), and I'm depressed I won't have a motor for the Sirius (unless I drop the F7 back in, but I have two other airframes waiting for that motor - another F10 on order to help with that).
Anyway, my buddy Ric suggested I drop the F27 in - what a good idea! I've tested the airframe, it flew, and landed deadstick, on 12 cells as easily as on 8, so why not take the step up, but limit the cell count? On "only" 20 cells, the power would bump up to 1250W or so with the 15x15, and I'd only be another 6oz heavier.
Work to do on building my 20 cell pack now!
..a
Old Apr 29, 2001, 04:54 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I wanted to share this stuff as you usually only hear about problems with Aveox stuff, and I have a good story to tell..

I flew the Sirius at the above-mentioned fun fly yesterday, back on the F7/L160C/14.5x14 and 8 zapped 2000's. It flew like a dream, but more importantly, now that I can fly these things as they were meant to be flown, I'm getting longer and longer (8+ minutes) flights out of them on just 1:30 motor run.
I also flew the Smart for the first time, three flights in all. It has an F10/L160C/15x15, on the same 8x2000RC zapped.
By the time I land, the controller and pack have had ample time to warm up (no cooling here), and the packs are hot enough to have to carry by the wires (I trust my soldering skills - don't try this at home). You can hold a pack, but only for a few seconds. The controllers were equally toasty. Both models had the old 4-flash (thermal overload) error on landing after every flight.
Here's the point to my story, however - although the controllers indicate overload, they never gave me any problem in flight. The L160C in the Sirius is older, bought used and - along with the motor - well abused then and since. The F10/L160C is new - and in fact, the reason I bought another L160C is because of how solid the used one has been for me.
I am very pleased with how well these motors and controllers perform. Although I am of course really looking forward to getting the F12/L260 back from Aveox (and hopefully reliable operation going forward), I am very happy with the performance of these two power systems.

I just wanted to share this..
..a