HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,549 Posts
There have been a few members who do such however unless it is a very expensive LiPoly by the time you pay for shipping both ways plus their cost it is not worth it most often.

Finding and fixing fould be as simple as a bad connection in the balancing connector or as complex as a balancing lead broken inside the shrink.

Above is if there is only one 4S which is giving this problem and you are using the same balancing connectors on multi 4S Lipolys..

IMO this post really should not be buried in the iChargers Thread unless it is charger not battery related.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
150W from bulb?

I was looking into this thread but couldn't find an answer.
It's commonly know that if you want to use the "dsch+" function, you should use high power resistors
What stays in icharger manual is:

"But in the first 30 seconds of discharge startup, Pi can be reached 150W.
This characteristic is tend to active some resistance loads which shows a remarkably increase in resistance
value along with increase of the temperature, such as bulbs."

At the moment I'm doing some experiments (206B model) with bulbs and I'm succesful with currents up to 7A (2 car bulbs on 3s).
To the point.
During discharge phase current is rising slowly so also a filament of bulb is changing resistance also slowly (that is obvious).
During the discharge I permanently monitor voltage on the output leads so I can calculate momentary power of the icharger.
Power within mentioned 30s has never reached more then 50W and it looks to me is limited to this value.
Why the icharger can't deliver 150W within these 30s?
So, am I missing something or explenation in manual is not clear?
Regards,
JK
CodiJack is offline Find More Posts by CodiJack
Last edited by CodiJack; Sep 21, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:19 PM
Park-Flying-Fun
Hope, Ark Las Vegas, NV Carlsbad, Ca
Joined May 2008
7 Posts
I killed my 106B+

Iíve searched and found similar issues but no solutions in the almost 13 thousand posts in this thread, so here goes.

I've been using the 106B+ for a couple of years and it has worked great, backed by excellent service from ProgressiveRC.

I noticed it was out of calibration and also in need of a firmware update. So while updating, my laptop shutdown mid-update (time for new batteries), now the updater will not reconnect to finish the update and the 106B+ is dead, the LCD only shows a few occasional flickers.

Is there a reboot or reset that can be done or reprogram the chip? I have several types of programmers on hand along with SMD hot air rework stations (Retired Director of electronic sub-assembly manufacturing) Or send it off?

I did make one change; I was a little concerned over the sparking when attaching to a battery so I placed a 10A on/off switch inline. I scoped it and the oscilloscope only shows a minor spike using a switch.

Thanks
Robert
Flyer929 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer929
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
9 Posts
Hello guys,

I'm using iChargers since several years and without any problem. I have two 106B+ and another two 1010B+. Now i'm suffering some kind of programmed obsolescence or something like that.....

All of them with the 3.14 firmware version

One of the 106B+ resets whenever I start any kind of charge.

Both of the 1010B+ have the same problem, they are unable to charge my 2x5S Lipos returning Bal. Error or Vout Error. No problem if I charge 1x5S using the first balancing port. If I monitor the Lipos (charged at 4.xx volts) the first five cells, the ones on the first balance port seem to return normal values, but the cells on the second port incorrectly display 2.xx volts all of them. I have changed the balancing connector plate on both chargers with same results. I also tried to calibrate but the volatge difference is too high.

Any clue for any of the two problems?

Thanks
gonzalix is offline Find More Posts by gonzalix
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:57 PM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
254 Posts
I am happy !

I use two 3010b and two 2008b since years.
24V 1000W MeanWell PSU at home.
Two 65Ah gel batteries in the car.
Key usage is charging a123 packs at the field in 15 min.
12s2p at 20A is common, flight after flight, without balancing.
The 3010b replaces a MasTech 5020e and a 12V to 220V converter.
An excellent product.
ramboman is offline Find More Posts by ramboman
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:02 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Junsi, Will there be a firmware update for NiZn batteries?
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined Oct 2009
58 Posts
Parallel charging

Anyone knows how to use this cable:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27094
Banana plugs go into charger output, JST-XH goes into charger balancing port, JST-PH goes into batteries?
gerard71 is offline Find More Posts by gerard71
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard71 View Post
Anyone knows how to use this cable:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27094
Banana plugs go into charger output, JST-XH goes into charger balancing port, JST-PH goes into batteries?
Yes... if you want to charge many 2s Rx packs in parallel thru the balance cable...

I would not do that... a charger is designed to look at the pack and ajust the charging process according to that. If you have many packs in parallel exactly at the same level, it works. More, they come immediately at the same level when you connect them to the harness...

But if you connect a charged and an empty pack to the harness you will stress them without control... the charged pack will discharge immediately into the empty pack without any current limitation... guess what you risk !
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,260 Posts
Parallel charging is quite common today, but some caution is needed. I connect the packs one at a time first, and check the state of charge with the charger in monitor mode, before connecting them all in parallel.
Such at unit has some other advantages. It can be used to charge packs with built in regulators, where only the balancing connector can be used for charging. For a RX pack there is no need to disconnect the pack from the switch, etc.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:02 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Parallel charging is quite common today, but some caution is needed. I connect the packs one at a time first, and check the state of charge with the charger in monitor mode, before connecting them all in parallel.
Such at unit has some other advantages. It can be used to charge packs with built in regulators, where only the balancing connector can be used for charging. For a RX pack there is no need to disconnect the pack from the switch, etc.

Fred
You take the risk !
I charge in parallel only if I am sure both packs are exactly at the same level i.e. they are built together like my 12s2p a123 packs (four 6s1p packs coupled together).
Key argument for iCharger is fast charging, not "many" charging.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:14 AM
Germany, 300 meters from the Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
Hello,

I have a guestion about paralell charging too 5000/mah 8S lipo`s ( 2 x 5000/mah 4S made serie ) . Is this possible with 2 balancer board`s connected in paralell ?
So how do i do it, and ar there any disadvantaged against charging the 4 x 5000/4s paralell.

Gr Frank
Ps: charger is a Icharger 3010B with 1200W 24 V supply.
silva916 is offline Find More Posts by silva916
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva916 View Post
Hello,

I have a guestion about paralell charging too 5000/mah 8S lipo`s ( 2 x 5000/mah 4S made serie ) . Is this possible with 2 balancer board`s connected in paralell ?
So how do i do it, and ar there any disadvantaged against charging the 4 x 5000/4s paralell.

Gr Frank
Ps: charger is a Icharger 3010B with 1200W 24 V supply.
To charge all in parallel at 1C, 20A is needed. To charge 2 x 8S in parallel, 10A is enough. Two boards can be used, if you find a way to connect them in parallel. Do you have a photo of your boards and packs?

Fred
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
Hello Fred,

I`m planning to use :

http://www.progressiverc.com/jst-xh-balance-board.html ( 2 pieces )

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...er-jst-xh.html

http://www.progressiverc.com/balance-extensions.html ( 2 pieces )

So the paralell splitter into the Icharger, then connect the 2 extensions wichs goes into the 2 balance board.

I think this is the right way too go.

Gr Frank

Imo: this is the way too use the higher cel count of the 3010B ( i think )
Last edited by silva916; Sep 26, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,260 Posts
Frank, that should work fine. You also need to have some harness to connect the main wires in series and parallel. You need to be very careful with the serial part and make sure the two main and two balancing connectors are joined in the correct way or you might short a 4S pack.

Fred
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Frank, that should work fine. You also need to have some harness to connect the main wires in series and parallel. You need to be very careful with the serial part and make sure the two main and two balancing connectors are joined in the correct way or you might short a 4S pack.

Fred
Yes, i am beware off the serial part. On the otherhand you have too be carefull
charging a single 8S ( 2 x 4S lipo ) with the Icharger anyway if you put them in the false order you get the magic smoke....................

Gr Frank